cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL702VM & similar] Solution to Performance issues / Overheating / Throttling / Whine

onjax
Level 9
Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
- the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility

• Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
  • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above

• On main window click FIVR button
  • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
  • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.

THE GUIDE - GPU

• Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
  • In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
  • Close MSI Afterburner
  • Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
  • Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
  • Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
  • You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
  • Click apply to test this curve
  • If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.

This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.
1,122 REPLIES 1,122

hmm.. that was one of my suspicion too.
unlike l337g0g0, i play CSGO with max setting, vsync on triple buffering, MSAA full, FPS locked at 120.102 fps(120hz screen) with afterburner. Nvidia driver power profile set to maximum performance. FPS steady at locked fps.

djbigbear wrote:
hmm.. that was one of my suspicion too.
unlike l337g0g0, i play CSGO with max setting, vsync on triple buffering, MSAA full, FPS locked at 120.102 fps(120hz screen) with afterburner. Nvidia driver power profile set to maximum performance. FPS steady at locked fps.

Kinda off topic, but you why would you use vsync and triple buffering in CSGO?

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Kinda off topic, but you why would you use vsync and triple buffering in CSGO?

Because it's not straining my eyes when i play for hours.
Most people knew that enabling vsync would bring the infamous input lag into play, but what they didn't know that you could practically minimize that input lag to the point that you could no longer feel it.
You just need to eliminate the source of input lag caused by extra preloaded frame that's usually happens when you enable vsync by locking the framerate slightly below vsync target fps.
Considering your GPU is capable of running fps at your monitor refresh rate, then it's the closest you can get to a g-sync without a g-sync monitor. buttery smooth.
note: this doesn't work with adaptive vsync.

You can read all about it here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=668808553
https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/
https://medium.com/@petrakeas/vsync-with-low-input-lag-50ms-lower-2437118bfa5

CSGO is a bit tricky, most GPU won't work at maximum performance because of how the game was set by the dev, since it's heavily CPU Bound, low setting would just make the GPU work even less thus even lower fps, so I needed to crank all the setting up just so the GPU would work harder to get stable 120 fps.

djbigbear wrote:
Because it's not straining my eyes when i play for hours.
Most people knew that enabling vsync would bring the infamous input lag into play, but what they didn't know that you could practically minimize that input lag to the point that you could no longer feel it.
You just need to eliminate the source of input lag caused by extra preloaded frame that's usually happens when you enable vsync by locking the framerate slightly below vsync target fps.
Considering your GPU is capable of running fps at your monitor refresh rate, then it's the closest you can get to a g-sync without a g-sync monitor. buttery smooth.
note: this doesn't work with adaptive vsync.

You can read all about it here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=668808553
https://www.blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/
https://medium.com/@petrakeas/vsync-with-low-input-lag-50ms-lower-2437118bfa5

CSGO is a bit tricky, most GPU won't work at maximum performance because of how the game was set by the dev, since it's heavily CPU Bound, low setting would just make the GPU work even less thus even lower fps, so I needed to crank all the setting up just so the GPU would work harder to get stable 120 fps.

Triple buffering just adds another frame to the queue, thus introducing more input lag, regardless if you have vsync on or off. Also, for this "low lag vsync" trick to work, you should enable vsync in the nvidia control panel (not in-game) and limit the frame rate below (not above) your monitor's refresh rate with RTSS.
If your laptop has a GSync panel, it will make things a lot easier (and better). See how to, here: https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

Have you tried fast sync yet? It will run your GPU as fast as it can and "grab" the last frame to draw on screen, basically. Low input lag, high fps, smooth and no tearing.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Triple buffering just adds another frame to the queue, thus introducing more input lag, regardless if you have vsync on or off. Also, for this "low lag vsync" trick to work, you should enable vsync in the nvidia control panel (not in-game) and limit the frame rate below (not above) your monitor's refresh rate with RTSS.
If your laptop has a GSync panel, it will make things a lot easier (and better). See how to, here: https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/

Have you tried fast sync yet? It will run your GPU as fast as it can and "grab" the last frame to draw on screen, basically. Low input lag, high fps, smooth and no tearing.

Exactly what i did, excluding the triple buffering part and turning vsync from nvidia control panel. I have no trouble using the current setting, it's it's all working just fine using any game's vsync. besides, nvidia control panel setting for triple buffering only works in openGL games.
Unfortunately my laptop didn't came with g-sync, i even had to replace the screen with 120hz optronics screen because the default was so eye straining after a few hours.

I'm not really interested in fast sync, since it defeats the whole purpose of getting this laptop working cool.

djbigbear wrote:
*I'm not really interested in fast sync, since it defeats the whole purpose of getting this laptop working cool.

If your system can't run a 100% load without overheating (throttling), you haven't fixed the issue in the first place. Buying a high performance product, then having to limit its power so it can function properly completely defeats the purpose of having a high performance system in the first place. It's like buying a Ferrari and having to keep a brick under the gas pedal so you don't give it too much.
You might be alright running not so demanding old games or capping frame rates to avoid overheating, but what if you want to play something like Ghost Recon Wildlands, that punish your system regardless? Gonna cap it at 30fps? What about AAA titles a year from now?

I don't understand how capping performance can be considered a "fix".*

Here's heaven Default V-sync.

Any other settings you want to see?

There are frame dips here, seems like new content being added to V-ram maybe, like I was saying before.

l337g0g0 wrote:
Here's heaven Default V-sync.

Any other settings you want to see?

There are frame dips here, seems like new content being added to V-ram maybe, like I was saying before.

Interesting.
Do you notice anything weird with the sound like popping, cutting out or lagging?

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Interesting.
Do you notice anything weird with the sound like popping, cutting out or lagging?

No sound issues, just CS GO SOMETIMES frames dip just as the music plays for MVP music kit, it's not responsible for all the frame dips, and it doesn't frame dip every time the MVP sound kit plays.

It just makes me think that new content is loading into ram, V-ram HD stuff? who knows.

This is all weird.

BTW: my games are on the HD and I have the SSD SATA, but not really sure if that all matters, the HD and SSD fighting for pipes?

Thanks though for all your help so far.

l337g0g0 wrote:
No sound issues, just CS GO SOMETIMES frames dip just as the music plays for MVP music kit, it's not responsible for all the frame dips, and it doesn't frame dip every time the MVP sound kit plays.

It just makes me think that new content is loading into ram, V-ram HD stuff? who knows.

This is all weird.

BTW: my games are on the HD and I have the SSD SATA, but not really sure if that all matters, the HD and SSD fighting for pipes?

Thanks though for all your help so far.

no i don't think there's a problem with HD and SSD since the game is preloaded to RAM, what i consider weird is that your GPU voltage is actually fluctuating too.
do you have cl_forcepreload 1 enabled in csgo? so it fully preloads all the game files not during the gameplay itself.