cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL702VM & similar] Solution to Performance issues / Overheating / Throttling / Whine

onjax
Level 9
Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
- the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility

• Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
  • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above

• On main window click FIVR button
  • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
  • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.

THE GUIDE - GPU

• Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
  • In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
  • Close MSI Afterburner
  • Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
  • Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
  • Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
  • You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
  • Click apply to test this curve
  • If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.

This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.
1,122 REPLIES 1,122

All...I've been meaning to post this for a while but kept forgetting until now.

I see a lot of people struggling with the correct thermal pad thicknesses for the memory et all.

My solution once the factory goo was no good after a few repastes to get the best results was to drop the factory goo and the thermal pads and I used Antec Formula 7 for the memory chips and all the other little chipsets.

Yup that's right...I just went to the super thick Antec Formula 7 for the memory and all the little chipsets and stuck to MX4 for the cpu and gpu.

I works exceptionally well and I know that it squished to the correct thickness and is better at heat transfer than the pads.

Just my $.02

SpookyWatcher

Hi,

I bought a GL702VS with GTX1070.

Covered the air leaks : almost 0 impact.
Used a classical cool pad : 0 impact.

Undervolted the CPU by 130 mV. Heating went down moderately. Not disabling turbo if not absolutely needed.

I have set the below curve for my GPU but I don't really see a lot of impact. The power consumption without gpu undervolt was around 120W max. After this curve I think it was 110W max.

Any suggestions to improve over this ? I haven't played around much as I don't have lot of time right now. My main motive would be to reduce the heat generated by GPU.

I am talking about the max temps when gaming on ultra on modern games. (my idle temps are about 55 degrees, I can live with those)

Forgot to mention that my MSI afterburner isn't giving an option to set a custom fan curve (GL702VS with 1070). In ROG I have the fan control and it works. Any solutions?

The gear key to the left of "Fan Speed" slider isn't clickable. and to the right it shows AUTO.

praky wrote:
Forgot to mention that my MSI afterburner isn't giving an option to set a custom fan curve (GL702VS with 1070). In ROG I have the fan control and it works. Any solutions?

The gear key to the left of "Fan Speed" slider isn't clickable. and to the right it shows AUTO.

I've only been able to control fan speed in the ROG Gaming Center

Your doing more than you realize in bringing down generated heat. Problem is the laptop is happy letting heat get out of control before demanding more from the fans (I'm betting after the cpu/gpu undervolt you've now applied your fans are turning slower than before). Part of getting the temps under control is maintaining the fans boosted at least 20-30%. Drilling holes under the 2 main fans makes a nice difference as well.

btw that curve you posted above has a jump at the 1025mv mark, that's towards the upper end of voltage so it will still make a decent amount of heat with that curve. Also, how did your measure the watts used by the GPU?

*edit*

argh screw it, i'll drill my original bottom cover tomorrow.

FastM wrote:
I've only been able to control fan speed in the ROG Gaming Center

Your doing more than you realize in bringing down generated heat. Problem is the laptop is happy letting heat get out of control before demanding more from the fans (I'm betting after the cpu/gpu undervolt you've now applied your fans are turning slower than before). Part of getting the temps under control is maintaining the fans boosted at least 20-30%. Drilling holes under the 2 main fans makes a nice difference as well.

btw that curve you posted above has a jump at the 1025mv mark, that's towards the upper end of voltage so it will still make a decent amount of heat with that curve. Also, how did your measure the watts used by the GPU?

The curve keeps the voltage at 850mV actually. I have tested that by running tomb raider benchmark repeatedly.

I keep the fans boosted at 100% actually when I game. But it is annoying to do so manually before and then reset it after. I was thinking it would be good if I could let the fans hit a boost of 100% as soon as temps hit 70. But seems like it is not possible.

I was monitoring the power in HWInfo.

I am at -135mV at CPU and the system is stable. I will go -140mV soon.

Don't want to drill holes right now, but if it comes to that, I would rather drill a neat pattern with a 1-2 mm drill instead of going gung ho and drilling a 45mm hole and then cover it with a speaker grill.

Drilled and tested.

djbigbear wrote:
Drilled and tested.

Nice!

Hey, what did you used to glue those things? these are like sound speaker protector or something like that? i did some small holes, my computer performance improved, but i'm still getting it at 85 degrees, so i will probably do the same, but i'm thinking, i will use a screw with rubber head and a nut, probably.

@mwest28

Powerglue;) glued from the inside.
you have to pay attention to the grill thickness, sometimes it curves too much it became longer than the laptop feet. i fix mine by using rubber feet that came as bonus when i bought the opolar vacuum.

here's a picture of the grill cover, maybe you could reverse google search to find sellers.

djbigbear wrote:
Drilled and tested.

How did you test? For how long?

And what were the previous temps like on the same tests?