cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL702VM & similar] Solution to Performance issues / Overheating / Throttling / Whine

onjax
Level 9
Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
- the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility

• Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
  • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above

• On main window click FIVR button
  • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
  • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.

THE GUIDE - GPU

• Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
  • In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
  • Close MSI Afterburner
  • Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
  • Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
  • Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
  • You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
  • Click apply to test this curve
  • If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.

This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.
1,122 REPLIES 1,122

I've switched the cooler to the opposite side of the laptop and re-positioned it a few times, but I'm running around 72c now. I've seen as low as 69-70, so it does appear to be working but it's nothing to write home about. I've also noticed that the top of the laptop is much cooler to the touch. I'm thinking that while this is a viable option, do not expect huge 10-15c drops. In conclusion, I went from 78-80 down to around 71-72. If that's an acceptable amount for you then I would say buy one. I will probably keep mine just based on the fact that the laptop feels cooler to the touch and a 6-8c drop is a decent amount. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask. I'm going to try tomorrow from it sitting overnight and see if I can keep the temps down if I keep the laptop cold to begin with.

Update: After running with it on 100% for awhile, I'm now sitting between 66-69c which is a much lower number from 78-80c. The thermals on this laptop are incredibly weird. I'm not sure why they are so errant but if I can keep the temps where I'm at, I'll definitely be happy about it.

Trevor88 wrote:
I've switched the cooler to the opposite side of the laptop and re-positioned it a few times, but I'm running around 72c now. I've seen as low as 69-70, so it does appear to be working but it's nothing to write home about. I've also noticed that the top of the laptop is much cooler to the touch. I'm thinking that while this is a viable option, do not expect huge 10-15c drops. In conclusion, I went from 78-80 down to around 71-72. If that's an acceptable amount for you then I would say buy one. I will probably keep mine just based on the fact that the laptop feels cooler to the touch and a 6-8c drop is a decent amount. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask. I'm going to try tomorrow from it sitting overnight and see if I can keep the temps down if I keep the laptop cold to begin with.

Update: After running with it on 100% for awhile, I'm now sitting between 66-69c which is a much lower number from 78-80c. The thermals on this laptop are incredibly weird. I'm not sure why they are so errant but if I can keep the temps where I'm at, I'll definitely be happy about it.

Thanks for this, I'll be receiving my GL702VM today or tomorrow and I'll definitely grab an lc06. Are you using any cooling pad in conjunction or just the Opolar? Also, do you have the titanium gold model with kaby lake?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

StarJack wrote:
Thanks for this, I'll be receiving my GL702VM today or tomorrow and I'll definitely grab an lc06. Are you using any cooling pad in conjunction or just the Opolar? Also, do you have the titanium gold model with kaby lake?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Yes I am, I'm using this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Ultra-Slim-R9-NBC-XSLI-GP/dp/B005C31HC0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

It's great because it's one big mesh screen. I'm not entirely sure how much it helps but it makes me feel better about it. The cooling pad is fairly quiet and has one large single fan. I'd say that it puts out a decent amount of airflow.

I do not have the titanium gold model with the kaby lake CPU.

So after a day of hopping on and off of D3, here is my latest screenshot. Shortly after taking this picture (a few minutes), the temp went down to between 62-63c. I think one of the most important things is placement and angle of the cooler. I have had to adjust it a couple of times, so I would encourage anyone to keep trying by adjusting it. I also would recommend mounting it to the left side of the laptop, it seems to cool much better on that side.

***Also, for anyone noticing the 65fps, I've limited it to that to see if it would help the temps drop. I know the laptop is much more capable than that.***

do you put the coler at CPU fan extractor? on the left? I always put it on right (GPU) because it´s hotter than CPU. I´ll try like you...

Now, I´ve 7-8 degrees less with cooler too.

I use the Opolar LC05. It keeps the temp at ~75*c when playing watch dogs 2 or gta 5 max settings

willygermo wrote:
do you put the coler at CPU fan extractor? on the left? I always put it on right (GPU) because it´s hotter than CPU. I´ll try like you...

Now, I´ve 7-8 degrees less with cooler too.

If the CPU cooler is on the left side, then yes that's where I put it. I'm not sure why but it seems to work better over there. Did you notice it cools better on the left side as well?

Trevor88 wrote:

Personally, I use this model : https://www.amazon.com/KLIM-Cool-Laptop-cooler-metal/dp/B01G3G3C7M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&...

There is no drop in temperature ...

So Resuming we have this solutions to control the above 90ºC temps on this PC:

CPU temp control:

-undevolt to -0.150 to 0.115mV with Intel XTU or another related software,
-use a windows energy powerplan which only takes 99% of CPU (Disabling Turbo Boost Technology)

GPU temp control:

-MSI Afterburner with Onjax profiles,

Hardware environment temp control:

-use GL702VM or own profile in NotebookFanControl software to turn on the 3rd Fan always in gaming mode.
-open computer and use some kind of electrical tape to close the wide gaps near the dissipation to prevent hot air going inside the computer.

So I have been using this (except I didnt put the electrical tapes) step by steps and sometimes only one or two solutions and used GTA V to test as it is a very good game to test all of this. My final conclusions are:

1- Big design problem. The large gaps are the example of this. But there is more, only a few vents to suck cold air, etc, thin design doesn´t help, etc.

2- GPU is nicely controlled with Onjax profiles using MSI Afterburner,

3- CPU seems really the problem here. Even undervolting it keep going and going to close to 90ºC. You can only control it disabling Turbo Technology and undervolting same time which puts your CPU temp around 80ºC with high charge of course.
As my experience it seems that what play bigger and major rule in temps here is the Intel Turbo Technology, I wonder if there is any solution to control the volts and power on this technology only because it is causing the temperatures to keep above 80ºC.

To end this post:

I think we all bought as a gamer so it will be mostly used to play heavy games which this laptop is not going to offer you unless you use all this tweaks.
But more important and what it is now concerning me is for longterm if is there any possibility of the electrical part of this laptop gets damaged with this constant high temperatures and even it might cause a short and puts your laptop on fire which can be very dangerous and harmfull.
So we even can have here a new future Galaxy Note 7 kind of problem in future.

Asus should just call all these models back to an exchange program because this models clear fails the Quality Assurance (if there was any QA for this). If asus tested clearly these models they should know that the temperatures profile are really strange under heavy gaming which is for this laptop was made for.

Thank you for reading.

Shoule I create a new Topic with this post?

Kompensan wrote:
So Resuming we have this solutions to control the above 90ºC temps on this PC:

To end this post:

I think we all bought as a gamer so it will be mostly used to play heavy games which this laptop is not going to offer you unless you use all this tweaks.
But more important and what it is now concerning me is for longterm if is there any possibility of the electrical part of this laptop gets damaged with this constant high temperatures and even it might cause a short and puts your laptop on fire which can be very dangerous and harmfull.
So we even can have here a new future Galaxy Note 7 kind of problem in future.

Asus should just call all these models back to an exchange program because this models clear fails the Quality Assurance (if there was any QA for this). If asus tested clearly these models they should know that the temperatures profile are really strange under heavy gaming which is for this laptop was made for.

Thank you for reading.

Shoule I create a new Topic with this post?

The hard truth is: most if not all gaming notebook' reviews I've read show signs of CPU/GPU throttling, often, a heavy throttling. So it has become a common practice for manufacturers to rely on thermal throttling mechanism and do not design proper cooling.
GL702VM is not the worst case, really.