cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL702VM & similar] Solution to Performance issues / Overheating / Throttling / Whine

onjax
Level 9
Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
- the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility

  • Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
  • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above

  • On main window click FIVR button
  • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
  • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.


THE GUIDE - GPU

  • Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
  • In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
  • Close MSI Afterburner
  • Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
  • Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
  • Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
  • You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
  • Click apply to test this curve
  • If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.


This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.
1,024 Views
1,122 REPLIES 1,122

Hey Guys,

First Post here but i got a lot of the software and vent modding tips from this thread, so i'm grateful for it.

I use my laptop to mine when I'm not using it. I used to just keep the bottom panel off to mine and used it primarily as a desktop PC (Never moved it). I just recently put the bottom lid back on so the wife can use it for bedroom gaming and i Mine when its idle.

Well, the software mods weren't
cutting it. So i just recently drilled holes for the CPU and GPU fans. I figure i'd leave the 3rd fan alone so it can support air circulation throughout the rest of the board.

I dual mine ETH + SC (draws 107W, not bad!) and with the bottom lid, the laptop would run around 85C for a while. That's definitely not good if I'm 24/7 mining. With the lid OFF and mining it would only get as high as 65C.

With the vent mod and 8 holes drilled for each fan, i now mine around 69C which i'm comfortable with. If i use NBFC and set the fans to 100%, the temps will stay around 69C. But if i set to auto, the Fans will actually NEVER hit 100% and I'll hover around 75C when mining. I'm happy with the 69C and would rather replace fans than run a GPU continuously hot. My GPU fan actually started having a clicking noise audible around 30-70% duty cycle. I took the fan apart and dabbed a bit of oil into the bearing and that fixed the problem. If the noise comes back then I'll try a heavier grease.

On top of repasting the GPU/CPU with AS5 (i haven't done thermal pads for the VRM and RAM yet, no place to get it locally. also the goop on there looked to have good spread on mine), the software mods, and the vent mods, the VRMs still get pretty hot, This is looking to be my next project for the lappy.70452
I had an old laptop, separated the heatsink and CPU bracket from it, i need to sand it smooth and get some hardening thermal paste to place on the 3 points to help transfer heat from the VRM plate tot he 2 main heatpipes.

Cheers from CALI!

Edit: I’m also overclocked *+150 core/+569 memory. After burner shoes voltage steady at 700mv.*
I use he OP’s 1st OC profile when I game*

linkeds2 wrote:
Hey Guys,

First Post here but i got a lot of the software and vent modding tips from this thread, so i'm grateful for it.

I use my laptop to mine when I'm not using it. I used to just keep the bottom panel off to mine and used it primarily as a desktop PC (Never moved it). I just recently put the bottom lid back on so the wife can use it for bedroom gaming and i Mine when its idle.

Well, the software mods weren't
cutting it. So i just recently drilled holes for the CPU and GPU fans. I figure i'd leave the 3rd fan alone so it can support air circulation throughout the rest of the board.

I dual mine ETH + SC (draws 107W, not bad!) and with the bottom lid, the laptop would run around 85C for a while. That's definitely not good if I'm 24/7 mining. With the lid OFF and mining it would only get as high as 65C.

With the vent mod and 8 holes drilled for each fan, i now mine around 69C which i'm comfortable with. If i use NBFC and set the fans to 100%, the temps will stay around 69C. But if i set to auto, the Fans will actually NEVER hit 100% and I'll hover around 75C when mining. I'm happy with the 69C and would rather replace fans than run a GPU continuously hot. My GPU fan actually started having a clicking noise audible around 30-70% duty cycle. I took the fan apart and dabbed a bit of oil into the bearing and that fixed the problem. If the noise comes back then I'll try a heavier grease.

On top of repasting the GPU/CPU with AS5 (i haven't done thermal pads for the VRM and RAM yet, no place to get it locally. also the goop on there looked to have good spread on mine), the software mods, and the vent mods, the VRMs still get pretty hot, This is looking to be my next project for the lappy.70452
I had an old laptop, separated the heatsink and CPU bracket from it, i need to sand it smooth and get some hardening thermal paste to place on the 3 points to help transfer heat from the VRM plate tot he 2 main heatpipes.

Cheers from CALI!

Edit: I’m also overclocked *+150 core/+569 memory. After burner shoes voltage steady at 700mv.*
I use he OP’s 1st OC profile when I game*





Hi, thanks for the info.
Could you please re-upload the picture and draw a line from where to where you are going to put the 3rd heatsink? And could you please reply with the results when you are done.

Bourak wrote:
Hi, thanks for the info.
Could you please re-upload the picture and draw a line from where to where you are going to put the 3rd heatsink? And could you please reply with the results when you are done.

no problem,

I meant to add the term 'Heatpipe' in my first comment. I separated the heatsink and cpu cooler bracket from the Heatpipe and will use the heatpipe on top of the VRMs. Here is my drawing.
70510

the Green is the heatpipe
The Red is where the new pipe will transfer heat from the VRMs to the main heat pipes
The blue is the original point where heat transfers. not that much material there IMO

linkeds2 wrote:
no problem,

I meant to add the term 'Heatpipe' in my first comment. I separated the heatsink and cpu cooler bracket from the Heatpipe and will use the heatpipe on top of the VRMs. Here is my drawing.
70510

the Green is the heatpipe
The Red is where the new pipe will transfer heat from the VRMs to the main heat pipes
The blue is the original point where heat transfers. not that much material there IMO


Awesome. Thank you so much.
Could you please tell me the temps after installing the 3rd heatsink while in idle + gaming + mining and the bottom is on and not removed?

Kaan88 wrote:
Hey onjax, your website is down. I managed to create a profile for my 1060 but I need to see you curve. Can you rehost it? Thanks.


Uploaded to google drive LINK
Use PROFILE selector in MSI Afterburner from 1 to 5 (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some, 5 - possibly most stable, but more heat)

Is there any consequences if i do something wrong? is this safe?
Also which notebook do you own gl502 or gl702vm?

Hi sorry for posting so much but currently im learning about PCs and ive noticed sometimes when i start my computer my screen gets black for a few secs. After login windows it shows my display and then turns screen black for a few secs. It goes in that order. Anyway is this normal? Ive never worried about it because it would be for a very brief time, but ive read ppl getting black screens is bad. I havent done any changes with my strix gl 702vm but i just wanna be sure, i didnt update my graphics card because i did previously but i noticed my FPS dropped significantly so i thought the driver was unstable and rolled back to the previous version(the version my laptop came with) Also i dont get any black screens during games or anything only when i start my computer so like Starts>windows login>2 sec black screen > normal regular use works fine.

I just wanna be sure this wont harm my graphics card overtime or a malfunction that will be greater in the future.

I feel like a noob, and I'm a bit confused

Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility
Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
Apply changes.


I don't see any of these settings, I see a core voltage offset, but only has V, no mV, and the only thing I see that says adaptive is grayed out.

The default setting is adaptive so don't worry about that. Core Voltage offset is the one you set. 0.100 is equal to 100 mV.

U2Desire wrote:
The default setting is adaptive so don't worry about that. Core Voltage offset is the one you set. 0.100 is equal to 100 mV.


Thanks for clearing that up for me, I kind of suspected that, but wanted to make sure before messing with voltages.

That being said this dropped my cpu temps about 5-7 degrees and gpu about 10 degrees, still not optimal, but I don't worry as much anymore.