cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL702VM & similar] Solution to Performance issues / Overheating / Throttling / Whine

onjax
Level 9
Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
- the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility

  • Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
  • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above

  • On main window click FIVR button
  • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
  • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.


THE GUIDE - GPU

  • Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
  • In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
  • Close MSI Afterburner
  • Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
  • Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
  • Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
  • You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
  • Click apply to test this curve
  • If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.


This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.
333 Views
1,122 REPLIES 1,122

I manually tweaked the graph that it went to after I hit apply & this one seems to be working. Getting a steady 75ish when running Arkham Knight maxed out (down from 85+).

62014

Not sure why the one on page 1 doesn't work properly... different firmware version?

Matt2097 wrote:
I manually tweaked the graph that it went to after I hit apply & this one seems to be working. Getting a steady 75ish when running Arkham Knight maxed out (down from 85+).

62014

Not sure why the one on page 1 doesn't work properly... different firmware version?

Thats amazing did u get these temps even while plugged in charging? i think i will try your method
Can you please upload your profile?

OK, hopefully attached my profile.

Profile 1 - original one uploaded at the start of the thread
Profile 2 - the one that I originally used in Arkham, but has been unstable (Xcom 2 kept crashing)
Profile 3 - the one I'm currently using & seems pretty stable

I suspect that limiting the GPU frequency to ~1500MHz will impact performance, but for me the heat (& fan noise) reduction is more than worth it.

Hope that helps 🙂

Matt2097 wrote:
OK, hopefully attached my profile.

Profile 1 - original one uploaded at the start of the thread
Profile 2 - the one that I originally used in Arkham, but has been unstable (Xcom 2 kept crashing)
Profile 3 - the one I'm currently using & seems pretty stable

I suspect that limiting the GPU frequency to ~1500MHz will impact performance, but for me the heat (& fan noise) reduction is more than worth it.

Hope that helps 🙂


can you upload your gtx 1060 profile on another site too if you dont mind. cos i can't seem to download anything if its uploaded here. thanks 🙂

Matt2097 wrote:
I manually tweaked the graph that it went to after I hit apply & this one seems to be working. Getting a steady 75ish when running Arkham Knight maxed out (down from 85+).

62014

Not sure why the one on page 1 doesn't work properly... different firmware version?


What exact MSI Afterburner version you're using? I also noticed such interpolation, but only at the edges of the graph. Did my best to make it flat, but looks like something has changed.

onjax wrote:
What exact MSI Afterburner version you're using? I also noticed such interpolation, but only at the edges of the graph. Did my best to make it flat, but looks like something has changed.


I'm using 4.3.0.9269

I tried onjax, matt's profiles and even making my own graph and none worked, not even a degree less.

Matt2097
Level 8
Just to be clear, you're seeing your voltage max out at 850mV?

Temperatures in the mid 80s won't do your system any harm, but it's odd that limiting voltage makes no difference.

Just to show what it should look like:

Voltage should flatline at 850mV (or wherever your flat section starts on your profile):
62095

During gaming this reduces my running temperature by approx. 10 degrees compared to when the voltage is running at 1000mV+:
62096

Matt2097 wrote:
Just to be clear, you're seeing your voltage max out at 850mV?

Temperatures in the mid 80s won't do your system any harm, but it's odd that limiting voltage makes no difference.

Just to show what it should look like:

Voltage should flatline at 850mV (or wherever your flat section starts on your profile):
62095

During gaming this reduces my running temperature by approx. 10 degrees compared to when the voltage is running at 1000mV+:
62096


Could you please share results in GTA V with profile #3?

Matt2097
Level 8
If you'd be kind enough to purchase me a copy of GTA 5, sure 😉

Games I have readily available:
* Batman, Arkham Knight
* Tomb Raider
* Xcom 2
* Shadow of Mordor

Let me know if any of those are of any use to you.