cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL553VE Automatic shutdown with Manual Fan Boost

Sid7886
Level 7
Hi,

I am facing an issue with my GL553VE laptop which shuts down automatically if you do a manual fan boost from the ROG gaming center..the laptop runs just fine if i keep the fan mode to 'Auto' but even with slightest increase in manual fan boost speed results in an automatic shutdown abruptly after 5-10 mins.. Also manually boosting the fan speed resuls in decrease of about 10-15 FPS while gaming ( i dont know for what reason). I also dont have Avast or any other antivirus installed which could be conflicting this..

I contacted Asus support and they asked me to update the BIOS..*
I have already uninstalled and updated nvidia to latest drivers, along with latest version of ROG gaming center (v2.03) and updated BIOS as well (v302), however it still doesnt help.

Is anyone else also facing the same issue with their laptops and have come across any solution for it?

Thanks*
113 REPLIES 113

chainmaster wrote:
yo,

@Sid, i did not looked out for a program that let me control my fan, but i did this, i uninstalled gaming center and played Diablo 3 as usual, with gaming center uninstalled CPU and motherboard goes a bit too high in temperature, my CPU reached 88Celsius(this never happened before) so i will reinstall gaming center but for the moment i will just use my fan on auto and wait for a new version of gaming center. The only games that i play are Blizzard games, World of Warcraft and Diablo 3 so i will test ways to reduce temperature of my laptop as much as i can, and when i will find a good solution i will post here. For the moment i will try with a cooling pad so i can improve a bit heat transfer for my laptop, i hope i can down it with 5C.

Cheers

Just to let you know that 88 degrees Celsius, although on the warm side is still within specs range and is fine for this CPU. I would only worry if it's constantly around mid to high 90s.

hi guys
i just format my windows.
after that i downloaded gaming center.
the problem is that there is nothing i can do with it, there is no button for fan boost or any thing else, just two button one for the touchpad and the other for windows button.
does anyone know what should i do.

saoo333dy wrote:
hi guys
i just format my windows.
after that i downloaded gaming center.
the problem is that there is nothing i can do with it, there is no button for fan boost or any thing else, just two button one for the touchpad and the other for windows button.
does anyone know what should i do.

Try to install ATK Package drivers for FanBoost and hardware monitor. ROG Aura Core/Splendid, etc. can be found in C:\eSupport\eDriver\Software\ASUS folder.

So i guess all of you guys have solved this problem that occurs in BIOS 302, but right now i have my own problem in BIOS 303 with exactly same situation as the thread maker had. I did to maintain (slowing) the fan speed manually via ROG Gaming Center to reduce the fan loudness after playing a game (in this case, FORTNITE). Until 3 days ago my laptop is lagging and makes me really confuse. When i open the ROG Gaming Center, it show 85-90 degree temp (CPU and GPU). After reading all of thread that were made in ROG Forum, i guess the solution is to flash the bios to the latest one (right now the latest is 306). Any suggestion before i flash it to BIOS 306?

My laptop is GL553VD with Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1803
BIOS 303 (Default bios since i bought the laptop)

KnowNothing wrote:
So i guess all of you guys have solved this problem that occurs in BIOS 302, but right now i have my own problem in BIOS 303 with exactly same situation as the thread maker had. I did to maintain (slowing) the fan speed manually via ROG Gaming Center to reduce the fan loudness after playing a game (in this case, FORTNITE). Until 3 days ago my laptop is lagging and makes me really confuse. When i open the ROG Gaming Center, it show 85-90 degree temp (CPU and GPU). After reading all of thread that were made in ROG Forum, i guess the solution is to flash the bios to the latest one (right now the latest is 306). Any suggestion before i flash it to BIOS 306?

My laptop is GL553VD with Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1803
BIOS 303 (Default bios since i bought the laptop)

Just flash to 306 no issues there 🙂

Simon942 wrote:
Just flash to 306 no issues there 🙂

Gonna flash to 306 real soon but i wonder why ROG makes us to keep flashing our bios, is this some kind of new method to extend our device lifespan?
Also is this the right tutorial to flash the bios? https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008859/
Thank you for your reply anyway 🙂

Sid7886 wrote:
Hi All.. i think the problem occurs only when using ROG gaming center..if i dont manually adjust the fan boost from ROG gaming center, the laptop runs fine..but you do require to up the fan speed while gaming due to hot temperatures and that is when the laptop shuts down..have you guys found any fan utility for GL553VE.. i tried speedfan and all, however, they dont work with my laptop

Any suggestions?*

Hi, I've encounterd same problem. If you've found some solution, please reply. I'll write below what I have now.

Main question is: it shuts down even on max fan speed?
My first laptop, asus gl553vd shut down even with max fan speed (~5400 rpm). Interestingly, asus brand service center didn't found any malfunction. But after all vendor agreed to exchange. Second laptop (same model, gl553vd) goes well, but only at max speed. And here is trick: you must toggle max speed with single displacement of the slider. If you first set 90% and than immediatly set 100%, laptop will shut down.

So, first I thought that choosing anything lower than 100% I lower fan speed beneath some critical value (for example, while running Dark Souls III on auto it is 4800 RPM). But it seems not to be correct: previosly with 2000 RPM on idle almost 75% fan speed was 4900 RPM. Right now, with 2600 RPM on automatic while idle everything between 75% and 99% is 4800 RPM, and 100% is 5300-5400 RPM. Also, such problem occurs only when under load: if you do it while idle or smth like browsing, you could set any speed. It does not go lower than value that is automatically set, it only increases.

And one more: when it shuts down, something strange happened: as chainmaster wrote
CPU and GPU temperatures are CPU max 70 and GPU max 65. when it shutsdown the motherboard chipset reach 100C and the protection start to do his thing and turn off laptop without any warning

While this happens, CPU frequency goes 799 Mhz. Also, according to AIDA64 PCH diode temperature starts to rise and reaches 100C. It is quite strange: 799 Mhz means thermal throttling, while core temp is far beneath Tjunction. As I know, it cannot happen at the same time, this is mutual exclusion. I've got cognitive dissonance. I'm not good in computers, but using google I found that PCH diode is analogue of southbridge in desktop PC.

So, maybe FanBosst is scaling incorrectly, and this might be the cause. Also, you can lower temps for ~10C without changing fan speed: disable Intel Turbo Boost. Control Panel > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > Maximum processor state > set 99%.

Hi Lord Obsidian,

I have couple of questions:-

1.) I checked my laptop and it doesnt shut down if i set to fan speed to 100% with single displacement of the slider. You are right in your observation, it does shut down if i manually set to some random value below 100%. So far i havent found a fixed for this yet and i am in a dilemma whether to send my laptop to Asus Service center or not as i believe this issue might be related to ROG Gaming center in particular (Not sure though). Have you heard from Asus yet on any possible fix for this?

2.) Also, what temperatures do you get while gaming? While playing games such as Mafia 3 or so my GPU temperatures reaches around 81-83 degrees and CPU temperature reaches around 85-87 degrees..my ambient temperatures are around 30 degrees celcius.. have tried disabling intel turbo boost in power option, however, it helps to decrease CPU temperature to 81-82..what is the temperature which you are getting on your laptop playing similar games?

Cheers!!

Sid7886, hi there.
1) No, tech support do not offer any actual fix. As usual, they tell to update BOIS, reinstall Game Center and ATK driver, but it doesn't help. But as you I suspect that all this is because of Gaming Center than of hardware. First there is an interesting thing: most gaming laptops have fan boost tecgnology. MSI have Cooler Boost, Lenovo show it own %Boost_Name% with Legion series, but all of them have this as "toggle on max fan speed/toggle it of". It's a button, not slider with intermediate value, and I think it is how it must be. And in this case Asus operates well: toggle max and you will get what you need (see 2) for concrete). I really don't get why Asus done it in such way. I think I would make Asus a feedback with suggestion to change fan boost to button.

Second, I went a bit deeper and get a bit more concrete information. I report it in new thread, but it has no replies. I'll copy it here.
If one set in Fan Boost tab everything between "Auto" and "Max" values of system fan speed via Fan Boost in ROG Gaming Center, according to AIDA 64, the "CPU temperature" strongly rises up , for ~40C. Not motherboard, as reported ealier, but "somewhere" in CPU. Depending on initial temperatures, it can exceed Tjunction. For example: with idle temps 45-50C and fan speed 2000-2600 RPM, when set Fan speed as 75% Fan speed (=4800-4900 RPM) CPU temp rises up to 86-89C, while CPU core temps stay the same 45-50C. Here are values.
If under load, for example, while gaming, with ~75C core and "CPU" temps and 4200-4800 RPM fan speed, when toggling either 75% or even 97% Fan speed (both give 4800-4900 RPM, so fan speed does not go lower) "CPU" temperature rises to 96C while core temps do not, they stay same 75-77C. But core frequencies go 799 Mhz (however, HWInfo64 shows NO thermal throttling), and core VID lowers from 0,9V to 0,6V. According to both AIDA and HWInfo, PCH diode temps are 40-42C, and CPU package (HWInfo) temps is the same as core temps (~75-77C, sometimes a bit (1-2C) higher). If soon enough not toggling auto fan speed back (only auto, not max), laptop shuts down after several minutes because that "CPU temperature" go above 96C and reaches 100C.

This is quite surprising:how can CPU temperature differ so much from core, package and PCH temps (PCH temps in fact show motherboard temp, if so, motherboard is not beeing overheated)? Processor is dominantly its cores, doesn't it? Also even Inside processor only, how can in theory temps differ so much (75 for cores while 89 somewhere else)? I'm really not such a professional, but i have apprehension that this is more like sensor glitch than real overheating. Voltage go low, freq go 799, but no throttling detected and cores with PCH stay well, it's strange. But I can't say clear, is it glitch in retriving information from sensor (and because of this paltop laptop "thinks" that CPU goes overheating and lower voltages, causing minimal frequencies) or during manual intervention in fan speed something really happens with processor' powers and this causes sensor glitch. I think, I'll try to contact tech support one more time.

2) Mostly like you said. On defaults, in Dark Souls III CPU cores very soon go 80-85-80-85C respectevely, somethimes hitting 87-88C. With 99% max processor state average temps are droped to 75-77-76-78, on hards parts of the game going average 77-78 and randomly hitting 81-83. See, for example (temps for 56 min):
With maxed Fan Boost they stay 71-73 even in hardest parts. And it ia game-depended: in Resident evil 7: beginning hour CPU temps stay ~65C.
If I max Fan Bosst with 100% processor state, temps stay the same (80-85-80-85), but throttling is reduced.
Ambient temps are 35 only shortly after power on. Mostly they are 45C (for example, now, when I'm typing this).

P.S.: Also what is your version of Gaming Center, 2.0.2. or 2.0.3.?
Cheers!

Lord Obsidian wrote:
Sid7886, hi there.
1) No, tech support do not offer any actual fix. As usual, they tell to update BOIS, reinstall Game Center and ATK driver, but it doesn't help. But as you I suspect that all this is because of Gaming Center than of hardware. First there is an interesting thing: most gaming laptops have fan boost tecgnology. MSI have Cooler Boost, Lenovo show it own %Boost_Name% with Legion series, but all of them have this as "toggle on max fan speed/toggle it of". It's a button, not slider with intermediate value, and I think it is how it must be. And in this case Asus operates well: toggle max and you will get what you need (see 2) for concrete). I really don't get why Asus done it in such way. I think I would make Asus a feedback with suggestion to change fan boost to button.

Second, I went a bit deeper and get a bit more concrete information. I report it in new thread, but it has no replies. I'll copy it here.
If one set in Fan Boost tab everything between "Auto" and "Max" values of system fan speed via Fan Boost in ROG Gaming Center, according to AIDA 64, the "CPU temperature" strongly rises up , for ~40C. Not motherboard, as reported ealier, but "somewhere" in CPU. Depending on initial temperatures, it can exceed Tjunction. For example: with idle temps 45-50C and fan speed 2000-2600 RPM, when set Fan speed as 75% Fan speed (=4800-4900 RPM) CPU temp rises up to 86-89C, while CPU core temps stay the same 45-50C. Here are values.
If under load, for example, while gaming, with ~75C core and "CPU" temps and 4200-4800 RPM fan speed, when toggling either 75% or even 97% Fan speed (both give 4800-4900 RPM, so fan speed does not go lower) "CPU" temperature rises to 96C while core temps do not, they stay same 75-77C. But core frequencies go 799 Mhz (however, HWInfo64 shows NO thermal throttling), and core VID lowers from 0,9V to 0,6V. According to both AIDA and HWInfo, PCH diode temps are 40-42C, and CPU package (HWInfo) temps is the same as core temps (~75-77C, sometimes a bit (1-2C) higher). If soon enough not toggling auto fan speed back (only auto, not max), laptop shuts down after several minutes because that "CPU temperature" go above 96C and reaches 100C.

This is quite surprising:how can CPU temperature differ so much from core, package and PCH temps (PCH temps in fact show motherboard temp, if so, motherboard is not beeing overheated)? Processor is dominantly its cores, doesn't it? Also even Inside processor only, how can in theory temps differ so much (75 for cores while 89 somewhere else)? I'm really not such a professional, but i have apprehension that this is more like sensor glitch than real overheating. Voltage go low, freq go 799, but no throttling detected and cores with PCH stay well, it's strange. But I can't say clear, is it glitch in retriving information from sensor (and because of this paltop laptop "thinks" that CPU goes overheating and lower voltages, causing minimal frequencies) or during manual intervention in fan speed something really happens with processor' powers and this causes sensor glitch. I think, I'll try to contact tech support one more time.

2) Mostly like you said. On defaults, in Dark Souls III CPU cores very soon go 80-85-80-85C respectevely, somethimes hitting 87-88C. With 99% max processor state average temps are droped to 75-77-76-78, on hards parts of the game going average 77-78 and randomly hitting 81-83. See, for example (temps for 56 min):
With maxed Fan Boost they stay 71-73 even in hardest parts. And it ia game-depended: in Resident evil 7: beginning hour CPU temps stay ~65C.
If I max Fan Bosst with 100% processor state, temps stay the same (80-85-80-85), but throttling is reduced.
Ambient temps are 35 only shortly after power on. Mostly they are 45C (for example, now, when I'm typing this).

P.S.: Also what is your version of Gaming Center, 2.0.2. or 2.0.3.?
Cheers!

I have the same problem too...My version is an i5-7300hq and not the i7. temperatures reaches 85 degrees max. and gpu reaches 80 max. The only solution i have is to lower the gaming settings and limit fps and leave the fan speed to "AUTO". Temperatures would be 75degrees max. And I RMA-ed to get a repaste job done and temperatures are around 68-70degrees.