cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL553VE Automatic shutdown with Manual Fan Boost

Sid7886
Level 7
Hi,

I am facing an issue with my GL553VE laptop which shuts down automatically if you do a manual fan boost from the ROG gaming center..the laptop runs just fine if i keep the fan mode to 'Auto' but even with slightest increase in manual fan boost speed results in an automatic shutdown abruptly after 5-10 mins.. Also manually boosting the fan speed resuls in decrease of about 10-15 FPS while gaming ( i dont know for what reason). I also dont have Avast or any other antivirus installed which could be conflicting this..

I contacted Asus support and they asked me to update the BIOS..*
I have already uninstalled and updated nvidia to latest drivers, along with latest version of ROG gaming center (v2.03) and updated BIOS as well (v302), however it still doesnt help.

Is anyone else also facing the same issue with their laptops and have come across any solution for it?

Thanks*
783 Views
113 REPLIES 113

67517
67518
short test for 303 from today's upload on support page

And yeah it resets the previous bios settings, so if you are wondering why isn't it booting into windows os,
you have to "Disable the secure boot control under security" took me a while to figure out 🙂

satria_wr wrote:
Dear Bahz,

Could you please ask your team to update the cpu microcode? The one in 303 is dated back in 2016. New microcode from intel is 7/2017. Thank you.


Thanks for pointing this out, I'll let them know.

Bahz wrote:
I received update form our service team that BIOS 303 has been uploaded to the support site and should appear on the list within 24 hours.


Thanks for clarifying Bahz. Is the BIOS 303 which the service team is going to upload same as the BIOS hotfix which was released earlier? Just want a confirmation as that was BIOS 303 as well. My system is running the 303 hotfix BIOS and i need to confirm if i have to flash the new BIOS which the team would be uploading now? If yes, is it possible to flash same BIOS again having same build number 303?

Regards,
Sid

Sid7886 wrote:
Thanks for clarifying Bahz. Is the BIOS 303 which the service team is going to upload same as the BIOS hotfix which was released earlier? Just want a confirmation as that was BIOS 303 as well. My system is running the 303 hotfix BIOS and i need to confirm if i have to flash the new BIOS which the team would be uploading now? If yes, is it possible to flash same BIOS again having same build number 303?

Regards,
Sid


Its the same. Compare both using hex or ultracompare.

Sid7886 wrote:
Thanks for clarifying Bahz. Is the BIOS 303 which the service team is going to upload same as the BIOS hotfix which was released earlier? Just want a confirmation as that was BIOS 303 as well. My system is running the 303 hotfix BIOS and i need to confirm if i have to flash the new BIOS which the team would be uploading now? If yes, is it possible to flash same BIOS again having same build number 303?

Regards,
Sid


It should be the same so no need to reflash.

hey Guys can someone help me, I went into Bois and ever since then my laptop has been powering off when I adjust my fan speed in the gaming center as well as the cpu is now throttling back and forth between 800mhz and 3400mhz, I changed nothing in BIOS just checked the update. my CPU used to always stay at 3200 3400mhz before, now if I set my fan speed to 94% it sets the cpu to 706mhz on all 4 and then turns itself off after like 20 seconds.. what is that, if I set it to 100 % its fine, or 50 % its fine but any 80 or 90 % it just dose this crazy thing. why is the CPU now throttling so hard, and jumping around so much? Is there a turbo mode on here to enabled an over lock on the CPU?

SCTR9 wrote:
hey Guys can someone help me, I went into Bois and ever since then my laptop has been powering off when I adjust my fan speed in the gaming center as well as the cpu is now throttling back and forth between 800mhz and 3400mhz, I changed nothing in BIOS just checked the update. my CPU used to always stay at 3200 3400mhz before, now if I set my fan speed to 94% it sets the cpu to 706mhz on all 4 and then turns itself off after like 20 seconds.. what is that, if I set it to 100 % its fine, or 50 % its fine but any 80 or 90 % it just dose this crazy thing. why is the CPU now throttling so hard, and jumping around so much? Is there a turbo mode on here to enabled an over lock on the CPU?


You can fix it if you install the new BIOS update 303 ;). It fixed it for me ;D

Best regards Simon 😄

67611
67612

Hey Guys, so when Playing MidAIR, a FPS Jetpack game like Tribes 2 my PC is running hot 85C GPU and CPU also the CPPU turbo is on the entire time as far as i can tell at 3400mhz and up, is this normal, the graphics are amazing no lag performance is perfect but I just am not sure because its working as hard as it can for hours on end. I have 2 SSD drives installed instead of a HDD as well witch helps speed a lot. fan is on auto and at about 4900 rpms all the time. What do you guys think??

BIOS 303 fixed shutdown issue - i've set 95% fan speed for about 15 minutes, no shutdown, both CPU and GPU, temps went lower.
I'd got a bit worried while flashing: i use winflash, gave it bios file, and before laptop rebooted , screen "Configuring windows. Do not turn off your computer" last for about half of an hour. But all flashed succesful.
Also I noticed minor thermal improvement: in Dark Souls III temps now are 72-75C instead of 75-77C (both TurboBoost disabled.

Bahz, thank you and workteam! At last!

SCTR9 wrote:
Hey Guys, so when Playing MidAIR, a FPS Jetpack game like Tribes 2 my PC is running hot 85C GPU and CPU also the CPPU turbo is on the entire time as far as i can tell at 3400mhz and up, is this normal, the graphics are amazing no lag performance is perfect but I just am not sure because its working as hard as it can for hours on end. I have 2 SSD drives installed instead of a HDD as well witch helps speed a lot. fan is on auto and at about 4900 rpms all the time. What do you guys think??


Hi SCTR9!
With Intel TurboBoost enabled it seems quite normal. You should worry when temps reach 90C (87C at peaks is still normal).