cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL553VD - Driver Power State Failure while playing certain games

benjaminllim
Level 7
For some reason, when I play two of my games I get a Driver Power State Failure, a BSOD.

What is strange is that I do not get this at all when I play my other games or not gaming at all.

Anyone know how to fix this?

I've already contacted ASUS Support and they said it was a hardware issue, but I hope I can fix this without sending my laptop off.

Dump files: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApMe8kFEmIEUkSQaN-2YuflpRnHe
36 REPLIES 36

mmohamed2 wrote:
Guys did splendid open for you on 1709?

Yes, it opens from ROG Gaming Center and I even can change profiles.

To anyone else and maybe for benjaminllim: I've checked 1709 build 16229.98 with RE7: beginning hour and Dark Souls 3. The only problems I've encountered are:
1) In both RE7 and DS3 FPS temporary drops from 60 fps to 30 fps occurred. CPU wasn't throttling or overheating, as did GPU. So, I think, this was not because of hardware. To be honest, I quit DS3 before FPS has been stabilized, but in RE7 it did. It's also not because of unintentional unplugging.
2) When I tried to quit RE7, i got "RE7 not responding" window and got to end it forcible way.

While playing, I was regularly alt-tabing at Gaming Center and hardware monitor to check frequencies, temps and cooling fan speed (all time was automatic). No crashes or BSoD's occurred, however those FPS drops I've described started after several alt-tabs.

Those BSoDs and stability problems it seems have chased Win10 already from August, and continued after October updates. So think I won't reroll to 1703. It will be funny if I got BSoDs there 😞

System: Windows 10 ver1709 build 16229.98
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. GL553VD.303, 28.04.2017
CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ
GPU: GTX 1050, driver ver. 388.00 (23.21.13.8800 from 12.10.2017)
RAM: 8GB SK Hynix HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH

Driver power state failure occurs because the gpu is switching to nvidia and intel and during the switching the nvidia gpu goes to sleep. But fails to respond again when used.

You can fix this by going to nvidia control panel, go to manage 3d settings, find power management mode.from there you can see optimal power, adaptive,consistent, and maximum performance. The default setting is optimal power which makes the nvidia gpu sleep when not in rendering saving power however results in driver power state failure when rendeeing high demanding games.

Select maximum performance to fix driver power state failure as this makes the gpu at maximum clock when a 3d application is running even if your running it in background. This however causes high temperature and high power usage so i suggest selecting only specific programs where you experience driver power state failure to use this mode.

Youlost wrote:
Driver power state failure occurs because the gpu is switching to nvidia and intel and during the switching the nvidia gpu goes to sleep. But fails to respond again when used.

You can fix this by going to nvidia control panel, go to manage 3d settings, find power management mode.from there you can see optimal power, adaptive,consistent, and maximum performance. The default setting is optimal power which makes the nvidia gpu sleep when not in rendering saving power however results in driver power state failure when rendeeing high demanding games.

Select maximum performance to fix driver power state failure as this makes the gpu at maximum clock when a 3d application is running even if your running it in background. This however causes high temperature and high power usage so i suggest selecting only specific programs where you experience driver power state failure to use this mode.

Yeah thank you this fixed it for me. Still frustrating as hell though.

Cannot let this thread die, its still very important to get fix by asus or atleast let them push microsoft!

mmohamed2 wrote:
Guys did splendid open for you on 1709?

Yes, it's works for me. What is your problems bro?

---------------------------------------
Btw, i found the solution for driver power state failure on windows 10 version 1709. I use this tip for almost 2 weeks i think.
so the solution is go to NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > Select the Programs that got BSOD Driver State Failure > Set to High-perfomance NVIDIA processor > and Change the Power management mode (on specify this settings for this programs) to Prefer maximum perfomance > Apply.

Apply the Prefer maximum perfomance setting to all of the programs that have the problems.

Thats all, hope it works.
And if you curious, you can go to https://forum.unity.com/threads/crash-unity-with-windows-10-fall-creators-update-1709-and-nvidia-iss... and scroll down, you'll find the solution that given by user name Asty. I just use prefer maximum perfomance setting that Asty suggest, so if you want to you all suggestion that Asty given, it's Okay. Thank you 🙂

I have this problem too and I can't even revert to Windows 10 1703 because there's no Windows 10 Single-Language 1703 ISO available anywhere.

MaxDucy wrote:
I have this problem too and I can't even revert to Windows 10 1703 because there's no Windows 10 Single-Language 1703 ISO available anywhere.

http://windowsiso.net/windows-10-iso/windows-10-creators-update-1703-download-build-15063/windows-10...

Hey folks.

I have this problem, but in a higher level, so a little help here would be very appreciated.

For detailed info, you can get into https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/asus-rog-gl553vd-driverpowerstat... and look at my answer (as Wolney Sandoval).

What I'm asking for, is for someone that can share the "eSupport" folder in the Windows Drive, so that I can do a clean install and get everything on work again. And, if you have enough time, make a "System Image Recovery" and a "Recovery Disk" (Here's a Tutorial for doing so: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows...) through the Control Panel to get everything working using the Advanced Recovery Options.

If you can do this for me, and everyone that need those files, I would be really appreciate it! 🙂

Best Regards, Wolney Sandoval.

hello everyone,
i resolve with :
- install last bios (304)
- update nvidia driver to the last one 388.71

before this step every time i tried to boot after the update i reviced a bsod .

after this i installed window 10 ver. 1079
and no more " driver power state Failure" i hope you can resolve with this simple step

Thank you all