cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL553 - Cant see my ssd/hdd when i enable fast boot in BIOS!

JasonWijesuriya
Level 7
Hi all,

So I recently updated my BIOS to 303 from 302 (using ASUS EZ flash thing), and the first issue I faced after updating was none of my hard disks were shown! After about an hour of trying to figure what went wrong, I disabled Secure Boot Control, disabled Fast Boot, and enabled CMS. Finally my drives were now shown, and I could boot windows!!

But I want to enable Fast Boot cause the speed difference was quite big. When I go into the BIOS and try to enable it, all my drives disappear! Anyone knows whats wrong? Should I go back to 302 bios version?
6 REPLIES 6

haihane
Level 13
you messed up the settings.

if your drive(s) are detectable on CSM, it's most likely formatted in MBR (Master Boot Record), and windows was installed in Legacy Mode, not native UEFI mode.

changing bios version shouldn't be able to change your default windows boot mode.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

1. Equipped with more than 8GB of USB
2. Windows 10 Redstone3 iso download https://tb.rg-adguard.net/index.php?lang=en
3. Rufus 2.18 download https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/
4. Run RUFUS
5-1. Select 'A' GPT 파티션 형식의 UEFI
5-2. Select 'B' FAT32 -> very important(Never choose NTFS. BIOS does not recognize bootable USB.)
5-3. Click 'C' and select downloaded windows 10 iso file.
5-4. Click 'D' '시작=start'
6. When the usb for booting is completed, plug it into the USB2.0 terminal, restart the window, and enter the BIOS by pressing the F2
7. Click Default (F9) and then Save & Exit (F10) to reboot. Once again, enter F2 to enter the BIOS, make sure that the USB boot disk is recognized, and install Windows 10.

haihane wrote:
you messed up the settings.

if your drive(s) are detectable on CSM, it's most likely formatted in MBR (Master Boot Record), and windows was installed in Legacy Mode, not native UEFI mode.

changing bios version shouldn't be able to change your default windows boot mode.

Thanks for the reply.

How could the settings have gotten messed up? All I did was update BIOS using the EZ flash thing by ASUS. It installed, rebooted, and brought me back to BIOS but this time with none of my drives showing up!

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm trying to figure out which step I made was the wrong one, so I can not do it again in the future.

JasonWijesuriya wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

How could the settings have gotten messed up? All I did was update BIOS using the EZ flash thing by ASUS. It installed, rebooted, and brought me back to BIOS but this time with none of my drives showing up!

I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm trying to figure out which step I made was the wrong one, so I can not do it again in the future.

because, it shouldn't be possible that you could boot onto your windows now using CSM (compatibility support module) if you were booting it with UEFI mode on your previous version of bios. it's logically impossible. that led me to think on your earlier bios, you were still running it on CSM mode (just that you didn't realize it yet).

one important thing to take note of: Bios updates do not, should not, will not (correct me if i'm wrong, but in this case I doubt it), change a boot drive's Master Boot Record, magically transform a basic partition into GTP bootable UEFI partition style, and/ or even edit anything inside your drives.

Bios update should only touch what's in your Flash chips, perhaps modifying it with preconfigured (from the factory) settings, and writing itself to flash chip.

with the available information at hand, that led me to think that you perhaps misremembered certain steps.
to fully diagnose what was right, requires you to:
- Load Bios Defaults, Laptop UEFI bios is mostly locked down, to prevent mis-settings.
- When you get into Windows (don't matter now whether Secure boot is on or off, CSM enabled or not, Full UEFI or Legacy), go into Disk management, and the first thing you should do is check whether the drive that Windows is on = GPT or MBR. then identify the very beginning of the partition. if it's MBR, then your Windows from the beginning was setup as legacy Boot.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

I formatted it like this three days ago with the same problem as you.
And this photo is the result.
Reinstall Windows 10 the way I first posted it
And the BIOS update can be easily updated using WinFlash.

kathampy
Level 7
I have the same problem with Fast Boot on my Rampage IV Formula X79 board. When Fast Boot is enabled, my SATA drives disappear after a few minutes inside Windows. I am booting in UEFI mode with CSM off. When I reboot to BIOS, the drives are are not visible, as if they're disconnected. I need to power off and on the board to make the drives detect again, but they still disappear after a few minutes. Even setting Fast Boot to initialize all drives / devices makes no difference - they still disappear after a few minutes. Disabling Fast Boot fixes the issue.