Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VX - Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Driver compatibility

Chris92VN
Level 8
Windows 10 FCU is finally out today!
However, after the update, one of the driver became "unstable"
It's the conexant smartaudio HD driver. It's name reverts back to "High Definition Audio" and produces no sound. In the Playback devices window, it said "No audio devices are installed"
So, I tried to reinstall the driver, it's name keeps staying as "High Definition Audio" and now, it said "This device is not configured correctly".
I tried restarting windows a couple time, the only thing working is that I revert back to generic HD audio driver of windows( the real High definition audio driver", using that driver, I got the sound back.
I tried to clean install Windows 10 FCU, let windows update everything itself. Windows did update Conexant driver using Windows Update, it works, but with no "smartaudio" application. I tried installing driver from Asus support site. And the problem came back.
So i guess the driver is kinda out of date.
Please kindly update the driver. every driver on support site is kinda old now.
[Everything is fine during Technical preview and Pre-release]
-----
Update:
Workaround: manually installing drivers and SmartAudio in each folders. No progress will be shown, you can check it in Task Manager. Once everything is done, restart! Seems to work on Intel HD Graphics driver too(old fix for Windows driver update issue). May or may not work on other drivers or system!
Note: Must turn off Windows Driver Update or Windows will revert driver back to the faulty one.
2 REPLIES 2

Eljefeuno
Level 8
Chris92VN wrote:
Windows 10 FCU is finally out today!
However, after the update, one of the driver became "unstable"
It's the conexant smartaudio HD driver. It's name reverts back to "High Definition Audio" and produces no sound. In the Playback devices window, it said "No audio devices are installed"
So, I tried to reinstall the driver, it's name keeps staying as "High Definition Audio" and now, it said "This device is not configured correctly".
I tried restarting windows a couple time, the only thing working is that I revert back to generic HD audio driver of windows( the real High definition audio driver", using that driver, I got the sound back.
I tried to clean install Windows 10 FCU, let windows update everything itself. Windows did update Conexant driver using Windows Update, it works, but with no "smartaudio" application. I tried installing driver from Asus support site. And the problem came back.
So i guess the driver is kinda out of date.
Please kindly update the driver. every driver on support site is kinda old now.
[Everything is fine during Technical preview and Pre-release]

Yup! FCU is a load of garbage for the GL Notebooks!
Updated to it, and it somehow F*kd something so I could not load my OS from my M.2. I installed a SATA HDD w/ a fresh version of FCU on it and drivers were shot for the NVMe controller and keyboard somehow. After two days of pulling my hair out, searching forums, screwing with BIOS, doing fresh installs of windows FCU I could not for the life of me (or tech guys from a community I'm in) figure out what was going on.
As a last resort, I don't know why I did it, but I did... I downgraded the BIOS from 305 to 302 (GL502VMK) and what do you know, the laptop booted right up from my M.2 drive. I suggest staying away from the update, it's caused me nothing but trouble....

Eljefeuno wrote:
Yup! FCU is a load of garbage for the GL Notebooks!
Updated to it, and it somehow F*kd something so I could not load my OS from my M.2. I installed a SATA HDD w/ a fresh version of FCU on it and drivers were shot for the NVMe controller and keyboard somehow. After two days of pulling my hair out, searching forums, screwing with BIOS, doing fresh installs of windows FCU I could not for the life of me (or tech guys from a community I'm in) figure out what was going on.
As a last resort, I don't know why I did it, but I did... I downgraded the BIOS from 305 to 302 (GL502VMK) and what do you know, the laptop booted right up from my M.2 drive. I suggest staying away from the update, it's caused me nothing but trouble....

Day 2 since the FCU release, M$ issued serveral "quality" updates. but none seems to fix the issue.
PS: I managed to bypass the issue myself. Here what I did to workaround the crisis: manually installing everything(not using bootstrap installers): installing every single part of drivers(as Conexant drivers, there are a lot of component drivers, I managed to install driver and software successfully) . If the driver or software is independent, just extract it, using "Update driver"(remember to disable windows driver update first) in case of Driver, or check the installation inf file for file path in case of Software,manually "Copy-paste". Work in my case(Conexant SmartAudio HD driver).
// Bottom-line: the issue seems to be the incompatibility between manufacturers and M$. I'm still figuring out what really causes this. but I know for sure, Windows is preventing non-M$ drivers from installing correctly just like Intel HD drivers. And now it is Conexant driver.