cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VW laptop freezes if it goes to sleep?

Dan87
Level 8
Heya,

I've this issue with my GL552VW. If the computer goes to sleep, it basically freeze. That happens when I close the lid or when it automatically goes to sleep after 15' I do not touch it.
The light of both power button and the one on the bottom left of the laptop which indicates that the machine is running are always on. If I press the power button nothing happens. What I have to do is to keep my finger on the power button and force it to shut down.

It doesn't always happen, but it happens quite often. Any suggestion?

Thank you everyone.

EDIT: I add one more detail. When I open the lid, if I wait for a while the computer will reboot.

EDIT2: I noticed that this happens even if windows turn the screen off in case of inactivity. The computer simply freeze. I believe this started after the anniversary update, but I'm not sure about that.
16 REPLIES 16

jijul90
Level 7
Try update ur Intel Management Engine Interface driver.. see if it works.

Try find the latest one, mine using Intel MEI ver 11.0.0.1172.

Thank you for your tip, jijul90!

However I believe have solved the problem but I cannot tell where the problem came from. It either was the Wi-Fi or the Video card drivers. With some help of a friend I did the following:

1) Installed Intel(R) Driver Update Utility 2.6
2) Updated wi-fi and video card drivers
3) From the Device Manager (right click on the windows logo on the start and choose Device Manager) I went to Network adapters -> Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
4) From Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 I went in Advanced and i Disabled the following:

-NS offload for WoWLAN
-Wake up on Magic Packet
-Wake up on Pattern Match

I can't exactly tell what caused my problem. But now my computer can sleep and wake up with no problem. It was such a pain shutting down the laptop with all my windows and programs open because I couldn't close the lid due to this problem. Now I'm rather happy.

I hope it will help anybody who has got the same trouble.

Dan87 wrote:
Thank you for your tip, jijul90!

However I believe have solved the problem but I cannot tell where the problem came from. It either was the Wi-Fi or the Video card drivers. With some help of a friend I did the following:

1) Installed Intel(R) Driver Update Utility 2.6
2) Updated wi-fi and video card drivers
3) From the Device Manager (right click on the windows logo on the start and choose Device Manager) I went to Network adapters -> Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
4) From Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 I went in Advanced and i Disabled the following:

-NS offload for WoWLAN
-Wake up on Magic Packet
-Wake up on Pattern Match

I can't exactly tell what caused my problem. But now my computer can sleep and wake up with no problem. It was such a pain shutting down the laptop with all my windows and programs open because I couldn't close the lid due to this problem. Now I'm rather happy.

I hope it will help anybody who has got the same trouble.

I`m glad you found the solution. Happy gaming 🙂

Well, apparently I haven't solved all of my problems.

With the steps described above, now I can close the lid of my laptop and it will wake up (which is definitely an improvement).

However, if I let the laptop turn off the screen, it won't wake up anymore. At the moment I went to Power Options and set the option to turn off the screen to Never. But I'll keep trying to find a solution. Obviously any help would be welcome. 🙂

UPDATE: problem definitely solved (at least I hope so).

From Device Manager>Display adapters I disable my Nvidia card and the problem was apparently solved. I then enable the card and the problem was again there. I thought it were the drivers... I reinstalled them, however the problem persisted.
Again, from Device Manager|Display adapters I disable the Intel card. The problem was again solved. So I thought that the two video cards were conflicting between each other. However, when I enabled both of them together the problem was not there anymore. Call it magic, but the problem seems solved. Finger crossed!

I'm sorry to keep posting, but today both problems are back all together. So I guess I did not solve anything. This is very frustrating.

Dan87 wrote:
I'm sorry to keep posting, but today both problems are back all together. So I guess I did not solve anything. This is very frustrating.

That is weird problem... but try update this drivers :

1) Both of display drivers.
2) Intel MEI driver.
3) Chipset driver.

For my notebook, most of the sleep issues fixed by updating intel MEI (Management Engine Interface) driver. If u cannot find the latest version in ur notebook driver page. Try download from the other newer ROG notebook product (Only for Intel MEI).

Thank you for your help, jijul90.

Unfortunately it appears that nothing's working. I however noticed that if the battery charger is plugged in then the problems will disappear. With the charger plugged in I can close and open my lid as much as I want and the same goes for when the monitor turns off after I don't use my laptop for the time set (at the moment is set to Never). If the charger is plugged in I just have to move the mouse or press a keyboard's button and the screen will turn on. Without the charger the laptop just freezes.

I am considering to not ever let this laptop go to sleep, however I must say this is very frustrating.

jijul90
Level 7
That is really annoying problem.... I never encounter such issue. Just make sure ur notebook never go into sleep mode.

Well, after two days of tests I can actually say I solved both problems!

I looked in the internet if I was the only one with these issues. I discovered that several ROG owners had the very same problems. Even in this forum (however different models).

It seems that you can try two things (that I did not want to do at the beginning, because it involves flashing your BIOS):

1-Upgrade your BIOS to the last version (that's solved my problems. I had v216 and now v128)
2-Reflash the very same version of your BIOS (I read that works, however I can't assure the result)

Obviously be sure to download the correct driver because otherwise you could damage your laptop. Before doing that though, I would suggest to update your video card and wifi drivers. If that doesn't work... Go for the BIOS.

I'd like to take this chance to thank jijul90. Thank you mate for being patient and replying to my posts. That was very appreciated.

I hope that these tips can help anyone who's got the same problem(s).