cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VW Issues

francescocarlea
Level 7
I have a GL552VW and I have the following issues:

1) I have never used a gaming notebook before, so I can't easily compare, anyway I think my Asus Rog is a little bit to noisy even for a gaming notebook standard.
Do someone have any suggestion on how I can compare with other model GL552VW? Maybe a video on youtube? I couldn't find anything useful.

The graphic card is a 960M 4 gb.

2) When I play, if I press the W button of the keyboard the noise of the fan changes, I can't say it stops completely from spinning, but definitely it changes.
Is it normal? Do someone else has this issue?

3) Sometimes, very rarely tough, some keys of the keyboard (arrow right - 4 , 5, 6 of the numpad and canc key) stops working. The keys starts to work again if I applicate a pressure in the zone left to the touchpad.
Faulty keyboard? Since this problem is occasional do you think that the asus assistance will take care of it?
I think that some interconnection of the electrical network of the keyboard are not working properly.

I'm sorry if some english terms are not correct but I'm Italian and I don't know some specific terms in english.

Thanks in advance to anyone who will reply!
7 REPLIES 7

dansan
Level 7
francescocarlea wrote:

1) I have never used a gaming notebook before, so I can't easily compare, anyway I think my Asus Rog is a little bit to noisy even for a gaming notebook standard.
Do someone have any suggestion on how I can compare with other model GL552VW? Maybe a video on youtube? I couldn't find anything useful.

The graphic card is a 960M 4 gb.

2) When I play, if I press the W button of the keyboard the noise of the fan changes, I can't say it stops completely from spinning, but definitely it changes.
Is it normal? Do someone else has this issue?

3) Sometimes, very rarely tough, some keys of the keyboard (arrow right - 4 , 5, 6 of the numpad and canc key) stops working. The keys starts to work again if I applicate a pressure in the zone left to the touchpad.
Faulty keyboard? Since this problem is occasional do you think that the asus assistance will take care of it?
I think that some interconnection of the electrical network of the keyboard are not working properly.

I'm sorry if some english terms are not correct but I'm Italian and I don't know some specific terms in english.

Thanks in advance to anyone who will reply!

Personally don't have any of these issues you mentioned. If possible you should just exchange the machine for a new one if within a return policy. avoid any headaches down the road.
GL552VW-DH71 Win 10
Intel Core i7 6700HQ
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

Unfortunately the time for replacing has passed, it's been 3 month that I own the laptop.

Yesterday I was playing an online game (Guild Wars 2) for an hour or less and the temperature grow till 93° Celsius degree (I have used RealTemp to monitor).

I think that the fan is not working properly...

Since you have the same model could you make a check of your temperature, while you are playing, to compare?

Thanks Again!

AtlasMinor
Level 8
Just swinging through checking on messages if any and saw your post,

You should be fine and is normal while gaming to see 80-90 temps plus ou own a ROG, this is a bit better and has higher quality parts than a normal run of the mill laptop. Regardless of the price you paid, it still a ROG branded model meaning its passed stress test and gone through testing to be branded ROG.

To put your mind at ease I assume its quite safe, desktop cards can safely run at 100 and they have superior coolers to laptops, does this make sense ?

Possibly not, but you should see your temp stick and either decrease a little oand then go back to the spot it was say 87c back to 90c. This hardware has limits and safey shutoffs to prevent damage before damaging temps hurt the hardware, so you will be fine in 2016 and can rest assure if you do cut out, which you wont ROG hardware has higher temp ratings around 10c-15c higher than standard hardware laptop's

example : 110c for AMD's so i would assume a ROG AMD would be 120c-125c -ish before keploding, assuming ROG is still with its same standards/ You can google the max temps for your hardware in question and hear what Intel and Nvidia are saying the safty switch is set at and what they are saying is normal

Just My2Cents, and congrats on what i call a Iron-Mans gaming laptop, meaning 12hrs + straight gaming, is what ROG's are wanted for 🙂

Cheers.

My temperatures are also high. I believe my fan is not going full throttle. Running seti@home at 10% processor and 10% cpu time is enough to bring the temp to about 65 deg C. I've just purchased a fan extractor that's reduced my temperature by 10 deg C. I'm still trying to find a fix to increase my fan speed which I can barely hear even at high temperatures.

TokoDude
Level 10
Your laptop has a cooling problem, he should not exceed 85 degrees unless your ambient temparature is also very high.
How hot is it in your room. How manny degrees?
Check if your GPU is throttling.
ACER PREDATOR G9-791 |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |16 GB RAM |GTX970M 3GB |FULL HD | 750GB SSD | Samsung 850 PRO & 2X M.2 SSD RAID 0
G75VW |Intel Core I7-3610QM |24GB RAM |GTX670M 3 GB |FULL HD | 526GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO & 850 PRO
GL552VW |Intel Core i7-6700HQ |12 GB RAM |GTX960M 3GB |FULL HD | 256GB SSD | Samsung

TokoDude wrote:
Your laptop has a cooling problem, he should not exceed 85 degrees unless your ambient temparature is also very high.
How hot is it in your room. How manny degrees?
Check if your GPU is throttling.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?85037-ASUS-ROG-G552VW-CN288D-too-hot&p=622124#post622124

Fixed by latest bios 3.0

mrlangdon
Level 7
francescocarlea wrote:

QUOTE]

100% agree with you, I have the same trouble and actually I dont know how to make these keys working until you said here. Ive ask a custumer care for this, and his advice is always just bring to the center and we will fix it by replacing the keyboard.
This is a fking trouble i ve meet, i am sorry, but I my work using MS Excel, Word or some calculator applications of course gaming, that is reason why i bought this laptop but What i am working on everyday? it is so dissappointed!

Hey Asus, just listen!
Hey guy, thanks for your trick!
feel free to discuss with me at nguyenmanhcuong.ds@gmail.com