cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VW-DH71 What drive for M.2 Slot?

_Speedy
Level 7
It seems this has been beat to death in the forums for the 752 models, but I have not seen much for the 552. I bought a GL552VW-DH71 and a Samsung 950 pro 512 drive. Could not get them to work together. ASUS support says NVMe is not supported. I have seen other comments for this laptop that some people have used sata drives, but that seems like a step backwards. Can anyone confirm that the SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 works in this laptop?

IEDIT:
It appears the SM951 will not work either.
This may be a stupid question, but if a drive does not show up in the BIOS, it will never work, or will loading the proper driver cause the BIOS to see it?
44 REPLIES 44

sayantanguharoy wrote:
hello folks

in India two different version gl552 available. one is gl552vw and other gl552vx(which is lower price).
and gl552vx support pcie x4 ssd as per asus india website

link : https://www.asus.com/in/Notebooks/ROG-GL552VX/specifications/

🙂

Yes, same as here found out just today. Hope it will work fine

Thanks!

DarthVader87
Level 7
_Speedy wrote:
It seems this has been beat to death in the forums for the 752 models, but I have not seen much for the 552. I bought a GL552VW-DH71 and a Samsung 950 pro 512 drive. Could not get them to work together. ASUS support says NVMe is not supported. I have seen other comments for this laptop that some people have used sata drives, but that seems like a step backwards. Can anyone confirm that the SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 works in this laptop?

IEDIT:
It appears the SM951 will not work either.
This may be a stupid question, but if a drive does not show up in the BIOS, it will never work, or will loading the proper driver cause the BIOS to see it?

I have an GL552VW-DH71 laptop and was looking for an SSD upgrade since didnt come with one. I bought my laptop in amazon US and I read this thread about the compatibility of both SSDs. I can certify that the Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB M.2 SATA Internal SSD (MZ-N6E250BW) works perfectly on the laptop which leads to belive that if you are looking for an SSD upgrade for this laptop you have to get a M.2 SSD SATA drive and not the NVME I think NVme was a little too new when these laptop came out so I think only certain models are compatible with the NVme drives, the rest are SATA compatible. I thought I should share this. cheers

I have the VX version of GL522. clearly states on back only supports SATA m2 ( not MVIe ) as I found out when I stuck a 500gb MVIe SSD in and nothing found.

what I cant find anywhere is if a 500gb SATA m2 drive will work such as WD blue 500gb 3d NAND or the Crucial MX500 . its really not worth me upgrading the current 128gb to only 256gb . minimum would be 500gb though the WD blue 1TB sata m2 would be great. downside is no performance increase compared to the read / writes of an MVIe M2 drive but capacity is my big issue as im constantly struggling with space on the 128gb boot drive.
"
really is frustrating that theres no clear information hat states "maximum capacity" yes I can clearly find how much maximum ram the system will take so why doesn't asus list the same for storage.

I can confirm the crucial MX500 500gb Sata m.2 SSD works 100% fine.. comes with link for acronis true image, cloned boot drive ( 128gb SSD ) onto the crucial 500gb ( external case off amazon for a tenner ) , took around 5 minutes to clone.. took out 128gb ssd. stuck in 500gb crucial ssd.. booted and working perfectly.. happy days.

jdesignz
Level 7
Hello just got two SSDs to try, an NVME and a sata. Unfortunately, the NVME did not work after many tries including modding the bios such injecting modules in it. For the sata, I got 500gb capacity it works without a sweat.

NVME - aData XPG SX8200 Pro 256gb
Sata - Samsung 860 EVO 500gb

Rog model: GL552VX-DM076T