cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VW-DH71 What drive for M.2 Slot?

_Speedy
Level 7
It seems this has been beat to death in the forums for the 752 models, but I have not seen much for the 552. I bought a GL552VW-DH71 and a Samsung 950 pro 512 drive. Could not get them to work together. ASUS support says NVMe is not supported. I have seen other comments for this laptop that some people have used sata drives, but that seems like a step backwards. Can anyone confirm that the SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 works in this laptop?

IEDIT:
It appears the SM951 will not work either.
This may be a stupid question, but if a drive does not show up in the BIOS, it will never work, or will loading the proper driver cause the BIOS to see it?
44 REPLIES 44

cl-Albert wrote:
Thanks for the information, but that list should be the combined SSDs for for both types ('SATA' and 'PCIE') of GL552VW motherboard and not just by 1 motherboard type or system.
If your ASUS contacts didn't already know this, you may want to ask them to confirm there are at least 2 different types of motherboards used (1 type of mb for SATA3 M.2 SSDs and 1 type of mb for PCIe M.2 SSDs) for the GL552VW model.

If you already have a GL552VW unit and don't have a better way to identify the type of motherboard, your local ASUS support should be able to check this from the serial number to tell you what kind of M.2 SSDs are supported.

Yes, I know that the most simple way to confirm the compatibility of M.2 is to check the serial number of notebook by ASUS support service.
At this moment I have three identical answers (from different ASUS workers) from ASUS support describing that M.2 on my GL552VW-DM321T support both PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 3 devices.
Taking into consideration SATA Express Interface Architecture (https://www.sata-io.org/sites/default/files/documents/NVMe%20and%20AHCI%20as%20SATA%20Express%20Inte...), it is possible, it is not fantastic. However, the most rigorous way to test the compatibility of M.2 is the laboratory testing. I can do such testings by myself, but if I do so, I'll lost notebook warranty.

Was this ever resolved short of calling ASUS support with your PC's Serial Number?

genkvg wrote:
Hi everybody!
After a few weeks of correspondence with the ASUS Technical Support
I received the following insider information about SSDs tested on GL552VW:
SSD P3X4 256GB M2 2280 NVME //SAMSUNG/MZVPV256HDGL-00000
SSD P3X4 512GB M2 2280 NVME //SAMSUNG/MZVPV512HDGL-00000
SSD SATA3 128GB M.2 2280 //SAMSUNG/MZNLF128HCHP-00004
SSD SATA3 128GM.2 2280/20200L00 //HYNIX/HFS128G39MNC-2300A
SSD SATA3 256GB M.2 2280 //HYNIX/HFS256G39MND-2200A
SSD SATA3 256GB M.2 2280 //SANDISK/SD7SN6S-256G
SSD S3 256GB M.2 2280/20300L00 //HYNIX/HFS256G39MND-2300A

These SSDs were tested on BIOS ver. 209.

I've tested my GL552VW-CN108T (European version) with BIOS 216, but the Samsung NVMe SSD doesn't work. I'm now going to try if the AHCI version of the Samsung SM951 will work...

Not having checked this for a bit, I had hoped for more info/less confusion.

Just as a point of reference, I tried the Samsung MZHPV512HGDL-00000.

It did not work.

With all the confusion and lack of solid answers I ended up going with the Samsung Evo 850. Adding it as the primary drive was an adventure. Samsung migration didn't work since my PC detected two drives with the same letter. I ended up breaking the boots and had to go with a clean install on the new drive. Probably for the best anyways.

Overall I'm a little disappointing by the lack of support by ASUS and their advertising it as a PCIe.

I installed a Samsung 850 EVO m.2 (SATA) on my new Asus GL552-DH71 last night. The laptop immediately recognized it and I was able to use the Samsung utility to clone the OS over to the SSD.

I wish Asus would update their product information on this, as it is causing a lot of confusion. But I will say that I have not yet seen a post from anyone who has successfully put a PCIe m.2 SSD into this laptop. If somebody has done so, please let the rest of us know. 🙂

JustinThyme
Level 13
I dont understand how this could be true. M2 PCIe and M2 SATA III are different protocols. In my G752 I can only use a PCIe Gen 3 NVMe drive, SATA drives wont work period. Even has PCIE ONLY silkscreened on the board so people wont put M2 SATA drives in there.
Has anyone bothered to look in device manager under storage controllers and see whats there? This should give you some clue.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I dont understand how this could be true. M2 PCIe and M2 SATA III are different protocols. In my G752 I can only use a PCIe Gen 3 NVMe drive, SATA drives wont work period. Even has PCIE ONLY silkscreened on the board so people wont put M2 SATA drives in there.
Has anyone bothered to look in device manager under storage controllers and see whats there? This should give you some clue.

As far as I know, OS (no matter what OS you use now) lists only the protocol supported by the device used (that is installed in M.2).
OS do not know any information about unused devices until a device and its driver installed correctly!
This (software) approach is not appropriate in our case because M.2 in practice can support both data transfer modes - PCIe3 x4 & SATA3.
The most rigorous pathway to answer your question: in laboratory (not by OS or, most funny, by third party programs that took specifications from internet garbage), using various testers, testing contacts of MB connecting North bridge and M.2.

genkvg wrote:
As far as I know, OS (no matter what OS you use now) lists only the protocol supported by the device used (that is installed in M.2).
OS do not know any information about unused devices until a device and its driver installed correctly!
This (software) approach is not appropriate in our case because M.2 in practice can support both data transfer modes - PCIe3 x4 & SATA3.
The most rigorous pathway to answer your question: in laboratory (not by OS or, most funny, by third party programs that took specifications from internet garbage), using various testers, testing contacts of MB connecting North bridge and M.2.

Sorry Brother, that statement is 100% incorrect.

The Device in the M2 is supported by the drive controller that resides on the motherboard that in turn interfaces with the chipset and maybe raid controller too regardless of OS. You either have NVMe or an AHCI SATA Controller, never the twain shall meet on a single connection.

North Bridge on motherboards is so ten years ago. They used to be memory controller and AGP traffic as well as PCI traffic. AGP no longer exists and memory and PCIe are now handled directly by the CPU. Only the South Bridge, AKA Chipset, remians and handles everything else.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

have the same machine, after reading all the back and forth i decided to just go with the SATA version. grabbed the samsung 850 evo, 250gb and worked without a problem.
GL552VW-DH71 Win 10
Intel Core i7 6700HQ
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD + 1 TB HDD