cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552VW-DH71 What drive for M.2 Slot?

_Speedy
Level 7
It seems this has been beat to death in the forums for the 752 models, but I have not seen much for the 552. I bought a GL552VW-DH71 and a Samsung 950 pro 512 drive. Could not get them to work together. ASUS support says NVMe is not supported. I have seen other comments for this laptop that some people have used sata drives, but that seems like a step backwards. Can anyone confirm that the SAMSUNG SM951 M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 works in this laptop?

IEDIT:
It appears the SM951 will not work either.
This may be a stupid question, but if a drive does not show up in the BIOS, it will never work, or will loading the proper driver cause the BIOS to see it?
808 Views
44 REPLIES 44

Cheetah
Level 7
I'm trying to find out if a Samsung 950 Pro ssd will work in my G751 JT.
Anybody tried this card in a G751 JT?

I found this on my GL552VW-DM464T. I hope this helps.

56336

So, what's happening? How is there not just a LIST dedicated to TESTED, and WORKING SSD's for GL552VW-DH71 (I got the Canadian version if that makes a difference, idk what the heck is happening) XD

My Asus GL552VW suport only M2 SATA SSD (I ahave same mesage o the back ). I have just instaled a SSD - Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 (2280) CT275MX300SSD4 , and it works perfectly.

Link below.
https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-275GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSDJ0

Has anyone had success with the 500GB versions of your SSDs? Still haven't gotten any confirmation on whether the machine would take 500GB, because mine doesn't recognize it (bought the Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E500BW)). Checked in BIOS and disabled all the secure & fast boot options, saw other boot options such as the CDROM one, but haven't seen the SSD. Used the Samsung Magician tool as well as diskpart, and neither of them recognized the SSD. Removed the HDD hoping a boot option for the SSD would show up, but that didn't accomplish anything.

Any suggestions/insights? Should I buy the 256GB version and test with one?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
chauduyphanvu wrote:
Has anyone had success with the 500GB versions of your SSDs? Still haven't gotten any confirmation on whether the machine would take 500GB, because mine doesn't recognize it (bought the Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - M.2 SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-N5E500BW)). Checked in BIOS and disabled all the secure & fast boot options, saw other boot options such as the CDROM one, but haven't seen the SSD. Used the Samsung Magician tool as well as diskpart, and neither of them recognized the SSD. Removed the HDD hoping a boot option for the SSD would show up, but that didn't accomplish anything.

Any suggestions/insights? Should I buy the 256GB version and test with one?


chauduyphanvu, saw your PM and just wanted to confirm you saw the GL552VW-DH71 model name printed under your notebook, otherwise feel free to send me a PM with your serial number if you want to confirm which motherboard it is using for M.2 SSDs.

Although you may have done this already, just wanted to confirm the bios detected the Samsung 850 SATA3 M.2 SSD drive under the 'advanced' SATA settings and not under the 'Boot' menu which would not happen until you actually installed an operating system on the M.2 SSD (the bios is 'smart' and will not list any non-bootable drives in the boot menu, or in the case of optical drives, it doesn't list those unless a bootable disk is in the optical drive if you want to check this out to understand how the bios boot menu works, but make sure you put the disk in the drive before going into the bios, or reboot to give the system a chance to detect it).

People are sometimes confused by these 2 different areas in the bios where the drive would be detected, but if you don't see the drive detected in the 'advanced' SATA settings, the notebook is not seeing the drive plugged into the unit, so you want to resolve this first if it's necessary.

dansan wrote:
have the same machine, after reading all the back and forth i decided to just go with the SATA version. grabbed the samsung 850 evo, 250gb and worked without a problem.


We may want to get confirmation from others who have been able to get the Samung 850 SATA3 M.2 SSDs working, but if the 250Gb version works as dansan reported earlier, expecting the 500Gb version would as well unless there are some important changes we are not aware of, so consider re-seating or inspecting your drive just to make sure everything looks okay if the bios doesn't even detect it under the 'advanced' settings.

Hopefully others have more information about this drive since I don't unfortunately.

Thanks.

cl-Albert wrote:
chauduyphanvu, saw your PM and just wanted to confirm you saw the GL552VW-DH71 model name printed under your notebook, otherwise feel free to send me a PM with your serial number if you want to confirm which motherboard it is using for M.2 SSDs.

Although you may have done this already, just wanted to confirm the bios detected the Samsung 850 SATA3 M.2 SSD drive under the 'advanced' SATA settings and not under the 'Boot' menu which would not happen until you actually installed an operating system on the M.2 SSD (the bios is 'smart' and will not list any non-bootable drives in the boot menu, or in the case of optical drives, it doesn't list those unless a bootable disk is in the optical drive if you want to check this out to understand how the bios boot menu works, but make sure you put the disk in the drive before going into the bios, or reboot to give the system a chance to detect it).

People are sometimes confused by these 2 different areas in the bios where the drive would be detected, but if you don't see the drive detected in the 'advanced' SATA settings, the notebook is not seeing the drive plugged into the unit, so you want to resolve this first if it's necessary.



We may want to get confirmation from others who have been able to get the Samung 850 SATA3 M.2 SSDs working, but if the 250Gb version works as dansan reported earlier, expecting the 500Gb version would as well unless there are some important changes we are not aware of, so consider re-seating or inspecting your drive just to make sure everything looks okay if the bios doesn't even detect it under the 'advanced' settings.

Hopefully others have more information about this drive since I don't unfortunately.

Thanks.


Thanks for looking into this. If the SSD doesn't show up anywhere (not even under the Advanced in BIOS) how can I install an OS on it so that it would show up as bootable in BIOS? I booted from a Windows 10 DVD, but all the computer recognizes is my HDD and its partitions. So there's no way to know for sure what's going on. I'm trying with a second SSD now, PCIe, since my motherboard is one-keyed, but this second SSD also is not recognized. Wondering what's going on. Both SSDs are 512GB so far. A 256GB SATA version will be arriving in a couple days, so I will test that as well as the last resort.

My second SSD is the MZVPV512HDGL listed here.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Yes, if the M.2 SSD is not detected by the unit in the bios (as long as we're looking in the right place), it's as if the device is not even plugged in, so don't expect you will see it in Windows or be able to install an OS, and something we normally want to solve first.

Unfortunately, haven't been able to check a GL552VW unit if it matters, so wondering if I might be missing something, but you may also want to look for other bios settings under the 'advanced' menu that may list SATA3 M.2 drives somewhere other than the SATA Configuration sub-menu. If you don't see the drive in Windows Disk Management or diskpart though, it agrees with what you've seen in the bios so far.

There is a screw to secure the M.2 SSD to the unit after you plug it in, so just wanted to make sure there were no problems to install this screw which should help confirm that you have plugged it in correctly.
It could be a defective connector, but not something I usually hear much about, so would want to check everything else first.

Since you're going to get a 256Gb SATA3 M.2 drive to test soon, we may just want to wait for this if there isn't anything else to check, but the second PCIe M.2 SSD that you listed and tried isn't going to work in your unit since the serial number you sent me confirms it only works with SATA3 M.2 SSDs.

If it wasn't clear, that list of drives for the GL552VW that you linked to in this thread was the combined list for both the PCIe and SATA3 GL552VW motherboards, so one GL552VW motherboard will not be able to support all of those drives. It would have been better to list the PCIe and SATA3 drives separately for each type of GL552VW motherboard, but internally our information is listed this way.
Thanks.

cl-Albert wrote:
Yes, if the M.2 SSD is not detected by the unit in the bios (as long as we're looking in the right place), it's as if the device is not even plugged in, so don't expect you will see it in Windows or be able to install an OS, and something we normally want to solve first.

Unfortunately, haven't been able to check a GL552VW unit if it matters, so wondering if I might be missing something, but you may also want to look for other bios settings under the 'advanced' menu that may list SATA3 M.2 drives somewhere other than the SATA Configuration sub-menu. If you don't see the drive in Windows Disk Management or diskpart though, it agrees with what you've seen in the bios so far.

There is a screw to secure the M.2 SSD to the unit after you plug it in, so just wanted to make sure there were no problems to install this screw which should help confirm that you have plugged it in correctly.
It could be a defective connector, but not something I usually hear much about, so would want to check everything else first.

Since you're going to get a 256Gb SATA3 M.2 drive to test soon, we may just want to wait for this if there isn't anything else to check, but the second PCIe M.2 SSD that you listed and tried isn't going to work in your unit since the serial number you sent me confirms it only works with SATA3 M.2 SSDs.

If it wasn't clear, that list of drives for the GL552VW that you linked to in this thread was the combined list for both the PCIe and SATA3 GL552VW motherboards, so one GL552VW motherboard will not be able to support all of those drives. It would have been better to list the PCIe and SATA3 drives separately for each type of GL552VW motherboard, but internally our information is listed this way.
Thanks.


Albert and all,

Thanks for the assistance! Good news - finally everything is working out. You were right, the 250 GB Samsung EVO SSD that arrived was recognized by BIOS. I went ahead and installed the OS there without much hassle. Not sure how other people got their BIOS to recognize 500 GB of SSD, but 250 right now will do.

Thanks again,
Vu

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Vu, glad to hear you could get it working and thanks for the update. Don't really know that much about it myself and I may be wrong, but would expect there should be 512Gb SATA3 M.2 SSDs that would work too although probably not something you want to worry about more right now.