cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL552JX screen is beyond bad compared to my G751JT

Icemixxy
Level 7
Greetings.

My SO has recently aquired a ROG GL552JX and the screen is beyond bad. Compared to my G751JT, her screen looks like an old black&white tv set.
The colors are grayish, temperature seems to be warm, it's very painful to the eyes.
Has anyone dealt with this issue or is just our eyes not being used to it? I have tried using splendid, uninstalled as it just made it worse. Even the text is blurry. Weirdly, if I set something other, than recommended text size, it seems to be okay, but they are too small, and that still leaves the greyish colors.
I still have 15 days to return it.

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4

JustinThyme
Level 13
Firstly ditch Splendid and remove it from your vocabulary.

Reinstall graphics drivers and calibrate the display.

You have to keep in mind that the display on this machine is not close to the G751 in brightness and not even remotely close in color reproduction so you cant make a comparison of the two and expect the ROG GL552JX display to ever resemble that of a G751, just not apples to apples. If you find it too hard on the eyes due to being spoiled by your G751 display You may want to return it and aim a little higher. I'm actually surprised that this machhine was given ROG status with a 950M GPU, it mores aptly classified as a multimedia, wannabe gaming laptop.

Not to impugn anyone's choices, if it works for you then its the cheapest way into the ROG logo.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thank you for your feedback JustinThyme.

I didn't expect the screen to be as good as mine, but this is utter **** from a laptop priced at 1k+. She loves the design very much, and this was already way more than she wanted to spend on a laptop, I convinced her to not buy some mediocre laptop, instead get an entry level rog.

It's just that I wasn't expecting the display to be this bad. There is also a stuttering sometimes, which is very, very annoying.
We play WoW, she is running it on ultra with 30-50 fps on the GL552, and sometimes it just pauses for a second or two. The framerate doesn't change, the whole thing just freezes and goes back to normal immediately. She tried playing on lowest settings, does the same thing.

I'm very disappointed in asus to be honest. My G751 issues, take some getting used to (left usbs disconnecting/screen bleed/**** speakers), and now this...

woolffy
Level 7
Icemixxy wrote:
Greetings.

My SO has recently aquired a ROG GL552JX and the screen is beyond bad. Compared to my G751JT, her screen looks like an old black&white tv set.
The colors are grayish, temperature seems to be warm, it's very painful to the eyes.
Has anyone dealt with this issue or is just our eyes not being used to it? I have tried using splendid, uninstalled as it just made it worse. Even the text is blurry. Weirdly, if I set something other, than recommended text size, it seems to be okay, but they are too small, and that still leaves the greyish colors.
I still have 15 days to return it.

Thanks in advance

Greetings, i was having the same issue until i realized that the default colour profile is poorly calibrated
1.Go to control panel>> Color management>>Add>> Select " sRGB profile with display hardware configuration data dervied...."
2.Set as default profile
That should do, for better image
Go to Intel Graphics control panel>>Display>>Color settings>>>Advanced>> Set saturation to 15
Back to 3D settings>>> General settings "quality">> and also pick enhance application settings

Does this laptop have a TN panel or an IPS panel? According to the ASUS website the GL552JX can come with:

- 15.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768)/Full HD (1920x1080)/IPS FHD (1920x1080) anti-glare

If it is IPS, perhaps it's defective. If it's the regular HD or full HD (TN), then you need to spend a bit more to get the IPS FHD panel.

If you got the GL551JW-DS71, the one sold at B&H for $979 is FHD but not IPS. For around the same price you can get the GL552VW-DH71 with a newer 6700HQ proc and an IPS panel.