cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gl552jx m.2 ssd upgrade questions

Tomabogdan26
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I have a GL552JX-DM292D. My laptop is equipped with M.2 slot. I Bought a Samsung Sm951 256 g AHCI pcie 3.0 x4 SSD, connected it, change bios to uefi , removed my HDD and then tryd to clean install GPT with UEFI type of windows as the guide from ramcity saids. Unfortunately my bios and my windows seems not to recognised it. I message Asus support to ask what seems to be the problem and they said that my m.2 slot is sata 3 interface. Now trying to install pcie SSD I've read alot about SSD and alot of guides. My M.2 slot haves M type of pins, the SSD sata 3 compatible have B+M pins. Is it possible to connect a B+M SSD to a M pin type m.2 slot ? Also when I asked Asus support to tell me what SSD is originally installed on my laptop in the m.2 slot they gave me 2 options that are for 2.5 sata slot.
Can someone tell me what is the best M.2 SSD to upgrade for my laptop ?

Because I have 2 weeks of documentation 1 SSD that I can't return, and no clear answer from Asus and no ideea what I should do.
6 REPLIES 6

Fipser
Level 7
Tomabogdan26 wrote:
... Is it possible to connect a B+M SSD to a M pin type m.2 slot ?....

yes. The B+M key is also typical for SATA 3 SSD's. I have a B+M key Crucial MX200 in my M key GL752VW which works just fine.

nandodean
Level 7
I can't help you on the electronic technical questions about connecting your M pins to a B+M bay. But I can provide the SSD the users of GL 552 and 752 are using right now successfully;

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-850-EVO-250-MZ-N5E250BW/dp/B00TGIVZTW/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF...

As ASUS told you, the M.2 bay it's a SATA III, not PCIE. This was a bit confusing a weeks ago (and still is a bit)

You can't return that SSD? Well, maybe you can make a good deal here on the forums, as other users are installing EVO 950/951 series. Won't last a lot on sale if you choose to do it.

Good luck!

Thank you. You guys helped alot. I was thinking in trying to return my SSD alltrough it haves 7 days return only but I had to wait 2 weeks for a screw. If not prolly i will try to sell it.

Once again thank you!

Is there a a 500 GB evo 850 compatible as well or only 128 and 256 ?

Fipser
Level 7
I don't know why a 500GB SATA SSD should not be compatible...you might just want to test it for yourself! Also i don't know why people want/need a system/windows SSD larger than 250GB. For data storage i would recommend using a 2.5" HDD anyways.

Yes I see your point... I was thinking the same ... But then it crossed my mind that call of duty haves 47 GB and fallout 32 GB. I might not get a 500 GB but just wanted out of curiosity because Asus support said only 128 and 256 are compatible for my laptop.