Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL551JX GPU issue: Deep black colors displayed as purple or red

XMgpMX
Level 7
Model: Asus ROG GL551JX Notebook

GPUs: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M, Intel HD Graphics 4600
CPUs: Intel Core i7-4720 @2.60 GHz (quad core)
HDD: HGST 300 GB
External HDD: Seagate Backup Plus Sim Portable Drive 2 TB via USB 2.0

I'm rewriting this to provide clarity and answers to those who have the same or a similar issue.

Yesterday I restarted my computer to find that the deep black colors were displayed as either violet/pink or red/orange.
The results would vary as I restarted and full shut down the system multiple times.

I've read in various places online that this issue could be due to a misaligned/disconnect/broken cable from the GPU.
Since my computer is a laptop I'd be hard to determine whether that is the case. However, it is very likely that the cable
from my GPU is partially disconnected.

Today I determined that the issue is with my Intel HD graphics card. I figured this out as I noticed that games would
look perfectly fine when run in fullscreen and would have the weird color problem when run in windowed.

So to fix this issue--at least temporarily--I disabled the drivers for the Intel integrated graphics card (via Device Manager) and
instead have everything running on the NVIDIA GTX. This sets the GTX as the default GPU. The problem with this work around of
mine is that the laptop can't sleep--it can only hibernate, restart, or shut down. Additionally, Counter-Strike (and
probably other Source Engine games) return an engine error: Your graphics hardware does not support all features (CSM)
needed to run this game

So, I have to re-enable the integrated GPU whenever I want to play certain games or put my computer to sleep.
1 REPLY 1

XMgpMX
Level 7
I've been meaning to post this for a while now, but I've been busy.

So, essentially the issue somehow corrected itself when I updated to Windows 10. It's weird because I'd thought that this problem was solely a hardware issue with the integrated graphics card.