cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL551JW-DS74 - heat problem?

ckyaz26
Level 7
Hello guys!

I own a GL551JW-DS74 for few months now, after around 6 months my SSD crashed and I sent my computer to ASUS and they replace all the drives.
Around 2 months after that I notice that the computes gets hot and the fans are working hard even when I'm not doing any heavy task.
For example right now I'm just browsing the webs and the fans are on and I can feel the heat coming out.

I'm worried cause when I bought this computer I pay attention to the cooling mechanism to make sure that I don't have overheat like in my old computer (apple).

Any experiences with this?, is normal that the fans work that hard when using the computer for non-heavy tasks?.

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

navis995
Level 11
Probably bad repaste job from Asus. I've had it too and once I repasted it the problem was solved.
Asus Rog G750JZ
Screen: 1920x1080 17.3'
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (3.4Ghz @ -70mV)
GPU: GeForce GTX 880M 4GB (OC +125Mhz Core, +600Mhz Memory @ 1.062V)
RAM: Samsung 32GB 1600MHz
Storage #1: Samsung Evo 840 250GB
Storage #2: Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Storage #3: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Storage #4: Samsung Evo 128GB MicroSD

how hot does it gets?

mine goes to 80++ celcius during gaming - mobo, CPU and GPU. weird part is, CPU usage is below 40% only. GPU goes to 80+ but its 80%++ usage so pretty much understandable.

ctc91
Level 7
I would recommend if you do not have a problem woth voiding the warranty to drill 3-4mm holes under the vent in the backplate. I did this on my g551jm and it improved temps by a large margin(15-20 degrees celsius) coupled with a repaste job using arctic mx4. A coolerpad is the last option if you ahve the budget. Asus did a poor job with the cooling on the laptops from 2014 and on.

Hello guys!

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

@navis995 - I really don't know what is a repaste. It is something I can do or I have to send it to ASUS again?.

@Oliverrr - I only have Core Temp software, and now that I'm only browsing shows that the 4 cores are around 60 degrees,
which is not as hot as the other day (probably was at 70 degrees. The problem is that I'm not running heavy games, which I think its weird.

@ctc91 - I'm not sure if the guarantee is still good, there is any way to check it? If not I might adventure my self to do some modifications.
It kinda sucks that I bought this computer for the cooling capabilities and you told me they did a bad job in the recent models haha.

Thanks!

@ckyaz it is a personal opinion. i don't think in a subjective way but 100% percent certain on my thoughts that asus kinda failed with the cooling since the cooler draws air from both sides of it and it only has such tiny holes under the keyboard where the fingers are at during gaming to draw from. You can do the repaste yourself if you have some basic skills as laptop dissasembly which you can find on the internet as a guide and you need something like arctic mx4 or something similar( as in a well regarded pasting solution) and a credit/coupon/discount card to spread the paste.

Warranty wise, you can check with the store you got the laptop from or run the serial number in your asus acount on their website(i think even e-mailing them can tell you if you still have warranty).

60 degrees during browsing is ok, with the current cooling. If you do intend to run heavy games or apps that work out the cpu or/+ gpu you might find some hot things there.

I mentioned the warranty because running too hot but not hot enough over an extensive period of time leads to damage overall and basically better cooling provices a longer life for our electronics, a fact which known since the age of dinosaurs haha.

Thank you ctc91, very useful information.

I will considering the re paste if my warranty is no longer active.

Have a nice day

ckyaz26 wrote:
Thank you ctc91, very useful information.

I will considering the re paste if my warranty is no longer active.

Have a nice day

You are very welcome ! Same to you !