cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GS Scar strix II audio issue

vaqar001
Level 7
Hi just got the GL504GS Strix Scar II a few months back and im facing issues with the Audio. What happens is that whenever I watch any youtube video or any movie on media player or play games after few seconds the laptop speaker audio decreases automatically and sometimes fluctuates from high to mid or mid to low then again goes to high or remains low until I restart my laptop. Basically it decreases even if the volume is set to 100%. Once I restart the laptop the audio becomes ok until I do tasks like watching videos or play games the problem returns. This problem only affects the laptop built in speaker volume. WIth wired or Bluetooth headset or HDMI connected to TV the sound remains normal. Now I don't know if this is Asus's problem or is it windows 10 issue. But eventually the speakers are fine as on system restart every thing goes back to normal until I open a game or play any video.
Now with that said I have done every thing possible like system restore to factory state, resetting system for reinstalling windows, updating or uninstalling and reinstalling the realtek audio drivers from the Asus support and download page but what ever I do the problem is there. Its extremely annoying that after every thing iv done to troubleshoot this problem its still there like a leech. Very disappointed with Asus because since iv bought this laptop I have not enjoyed it rather than to trouble shoot it till date. First it was the Buggy Aura software which luckily got an update and now its ok now this audio issue, I need urgent help if someone can guide me to fix this super annoying problem. This is my first Asus gaming laptop and first such problem that im facing in any laptop that iv ever used. PLEASE HELP...
22 REPLIES 22

skygunners89
Level 7
same here (GL504GM)
1. right speaker turned off
2. Now, fluctuating sound
i don't know is this because windows 10 or hardware prob

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Check the speaker connector on the motherboard

vaqar001
Level 7
I see. Well to be precise my GL504GS also did the same first every thing was ok. Then after the first system restore to fix minor issues the right speaker turned off then to fix that issue on the second system restore both speakers started fluctuating sound. And now no matter how many times i restore the laptop the problem is there no matter what. Could it be something wrong with the factory restore point if there is one? or faulty hardware production or windows issue? Who knows. Iv spent so much of time in figuring it out that finally i got fed up and sent mine back to Asus today. They have to fix it or im after them for a replacement. Will update here what ever the case. Extremely disappointed with the SCAR II as of now.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
I really doubt that's a software issue.

My old Lenovo has exactly the same issue. If I pump the volume to the max for a couple of seconds then back down, it would go back to normal for a few hours, then the left speaker would start to fail again. Low volume or fluctuating sound. I never got around to fix it. Now my wife is using it, and since she never complained about it, it's all good lol

I have an open thread about this issue as well. Still no fix but check over to see what's going on! Someone might find something there too.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?107024-GL504GM-built-in-speaker-volume-fluctuating-loud-so...

I had some issues with he sound at beginning, but I don't have any issue after I made update to bios 305. Do you have the latest version of bios installed?

Later edit:
It seems that the issue is still there, but it at my side it happens after I unplug my headphones (the bug appear after I plug-in the headphones, then when I unplug them is no sound). To fix it right click on sound icon from taskbar then Spatial sound -> Off (even if it is Off).

vaqar001
Level 7
Well already I had been to BIOS 305 and was having this issue until I don't know what I did recently which fixed the problem. Thanks GOD no more sound fluctuation. I was messing up with so many drivers in device manager and I think I touched on something that actually fixed the issue. Now what i guess is that the issue was with the windows high definition driver rather than Realtek driver. I guess I might have uninstalled all audio drivers windows and Realtek both and did a clean install but still im not sure. I mean I could not actually conclude even if that's the actual problem or not but still some thing I did fixed the issue. one thing I noticed that changed is the speaker volume panel when I click on sound instead of saying Speakers Realtek(R) Audio now it says Speakers (2-Realtek(R) Audio) screen shot attached. I am still trying to figure out that what I exactly did. will update if I find any thing.

hi, so i've been having audio issues too with my GL504, so i tried googling for that problem, until i stumbled into this help page by microsoft.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-40ffce970bb5 , look for the reply by Sher Amo.. i did that, and i got the page
( https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...0EC%26DEV_0294 ) that have the 8564 driver for Realtek. i installed it, and so far things looks good. i will report back if the issue is replicated or cured.

The problem came back to my machine too...(it disappeared for about a week after I installed the latest realtek driver using updater software called DriverEasy). Now my only workaround is just to turn the volume balance of the right speaker all the way down to zero. After that the sound fluctuation problem disappeared.

My right speaker distorts quite a bit more than my left at high volume, so really start to suspect now that it's a built-in mechanism by ASUS to prevent the defected speaker from being damaged further.