cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GS+GM useful thread [Troubleshooting & Guide]

McCoy
Level 8
Please join thread LETTER TO ASUS FOR ADDRESSING GL504 SERIES PROBLEMS [PLEASE SIGN]

So, here is my GL504GM/GS guide I profound myself while using it extensively in different configurations.
This thread is INTENDED TO GAIN ATTENTION FROM ASUS ENGINEERS! GUYS, PLEASE HELP US GET THIS BEAUTY TO WORK!

DISCLAIMER! DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK! IT IS NOT SAFE! IT CAN (AND IT WILL) VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

Basic information:
ASUS GL504GS Downloads page
Current (23/11/2018) is BIOS 305!

The microstuttering, lags and freezes

Let’s get it point-by-point, because there is a single problem which is consist of different cases.

The CPU

So, our 8750H is a hot one (relatively to similar mobile solutions), let’s analyze its role in our headaches :

Throttling: understanding Thermal (THER) and Power Limit (PM) throttling

So the basic approach is to check whenever it takes place on your laptop. The best tool is Intel XTU, please do the following:

• Install Intel XTU
  • Add graphs for all available throttling (Power Limit, Temp)
  • Go and play
  • Periodically check what is up with graph

See? If it’s not PMed, then it is TEMPed. What to do?
[EASY SOLUTION]

Change your power plan, by modifying power to CPU from 100% to 99% and totally lock Turbo Boost. It’s a solid solution which will sacrifice raw power in matter of better (way better Temps), and way lower noise.

[MEDIJM SOLUTION]

Use XTU to downvolt CPU, by lowering core voltage.

[HEAVY DUTY SOLUTION]

Disassemble and repast ALL thermals in your laptop. Check this video for guidance:

[ULTIMATE SOLUTION]

Do all above (except easy one), and...

... download the shell.efi, and modify some variables by loading shell in disabled secured boot in UEFI.

The Nahimic solution

Do fresh windows install, and DO NOT INSTALL NAHIMIC and Sonic Studio.

Liquid metal repasting guide (by myself!)

FAQ:

: Cooling Pad or unflat position leads to significant FPS drops and/or stuttering
Mentioned here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105890-Strix-Scar-II-Cooling-Pad-Causes-FPS-Drop-Terribly
: Reason is interconnected with adaptable cooling algorithms which ASUS itself realized by using leveraged way. So until SOME temp is reached (ex. 80c), fans are not kicking in – on border temp 79c system struggles with power limit and/or temperature throttling. Additional cooling distort variables on which such algorhytms are based, and significantly affects fans workaround. So it’s ok, if GL504 ran faster on higher temps.

Shortly: Cooling pad is distorting pre-defined cooling algorithms (also known as FAN CURVES). It won't help you with temps, they WILL stood the same, but you will reduce noise.

: What is GRUB? And what's it for? And how to GRUB?
: GRUB is external EFI shell, that gives you an ability to change variables of settings in UEFI-BIOS of our GL504GS/GM, without modifying BIOS itself.
ASUS GL504GS BIOS unlock thread, and GRUBing guide

: I can't install basic touchpad drivers after windows fresh install!
: Please install basic Intel Serial I/O driver from ASUS download page.

: I just bought my laptop 2 weeks ago, and i playing every games the gpu/cpu temp around 85-90°. Is that normal for this laptop?
: There are two types of answers ...
The short one - YES, that is probably fine, make sure Overboost is on, so heat dissipation is on its maximum.
The long one ...
Current thermal management of Intel processors is really complicated things. Especially in terms of Turbo Boost and adaptive cooling. Intel have done a great work making their processor as cool is possible under low load, and as powerful as possible in high load under. Unfortunately, ASUS engineers didn't spend enough time to get it cooling system (very well designed, though!) to correctly. If you're not experiencing significant performance drops - please switch Maximum Processor State to 99%, so you will be able to SIGNIFICANTLY reduce temperatures and noise level.

: Cann't find any info about different models...Does this model actually have 144Hz display or not?
: All GL504GS/GM are equiped with 144Hz screen.
139 REPLIES 139

silvergem wrote:
Ive still encounter the issue when the GPU went to 99-100%, the framerate will drop significally 85517

Im using v451.48 Nvidia driver. undervolt or not still same issue

I am also on driver ver 451.48 factory settings, no tweaking and it is keeping my GPU at approx 79-80 degrees. Talking about Witcher 3, not sure what max FPS I'll achieve because I've selected 60 fps fixed from the in-game menu and I am sure not getting any drops below that on ULTRA/HIGH.
FYI I have disabled CPU turbo by selecting maximum processor state 99% from windows power settings to keep CPU temp managable. Otherwise I am running into 90's

Coming to you, from what I have read, there should not be any problem if GPU runs at around 99% - actually it is supposed to be like this depending on your game settings. What I don't understand from your screenshot is:
- why your GPU is running at only 468Mhz ( i know it will be fluctuating within a range but still its quite low) at such high loads. I have not seen mine below 1215Mhz
- why your GPU temp is so low at 99% load.

Again I am surprised that your CPU temp is low even though running at almost full boost frequency,.. .. but that is maybe because you have undervolted.

I dont know what I wrote made good sense to you, but I have told you my settings if it helps.

vashish27 wrote:
I am also on driver ver 451.48 factory settings, no tweaking and it is keeping my GPU at approx 79-80 degrees. Talking about Witcher 3, not sure what max FPS I'll achieve because I've selected 60 fps fixed from the in-game menu and I am sure not getting any drops below that on ULTRA/HIGH.
FYI I have disabled CPU turbo by selecting maximum processor state 99% from windows power settings to keep CPU temp managable. Otherwise I am running into 90's

Coming to you, from what I have read, there should not be any problem if GPU runs at around 99% - actually it is supposed to be like this depending on your game settings. What I don't understand from your screenshot is:
- why your GPU is running at only 468Mhz ( i know it will be fluctuating within a range but still its quite low) at such high loads. I have not seen mine below 1215Mhz

Again I am surprised that your CPU temp is low even though running at almost full boost frequency,.. .. but that is maybe because you have undervolted.

I dont know what I wrote made good sense to you, but I have told you my settings if it helps.

And sorry I forgot to mention I am on GL504GW i.e.
- nvidia RTX 2070
- intel i7 8750H
- 16 gb x 2 RAM

vashish27 wrote:

v451.48 has lot of issues. there are many forums right now related to that. Witcher 3 is not so demanding game. This problem will exists only on high demanding game like PUBG, Resident Evil Resistance, Resident Evil 3. Also the problem arise when it go from 99-100 percent.

Thats is the issue when the GPU went back to 100%, it will downclock the GPU

Hi I am using Asus Strix Hero2( GTX 1060 6GB ,I7 8750H ). I am getting massive frame drops for every few seconds as shown in the video. To Know the reason i installed MSI After Burner where it showed 99% GPU Usage and GPU CLOCK Decreasing from 1400 to 250 Mhz , during that drop, temps are fine,but every now and then I am getting those drops. I cleaned installed Windows ,Nvdia Drivers,gave it to the official service center ,they repasted (thermal paste) but issue still persists ,They are also not understanding what to do.Any Suggestions would be helpful. I have tried all the things mentioned in the forums ,still didn't fix.

Should i upgrade my ram to other 16gb dual channel?? .Does it fix the issue ? Please help me

Please watch this video for reference: https://youtu.be/MGq7sqgvRZw

rohmuk3333 wrote:
Hi I am using Asus Strix Hero2( GTX 1060 6GB ,I7 8750H ). I am getting massive frame drops for every few seconds as shown in the video. To Know the reason i installed MSI After Burner where it showed 99% GPU Usage and GPU CLOCK Decreasing from 1400 to 250 Mhz , during that drop, temps are fine,but every now and then I am getting those drops. I cleaned installed Windows ,Nvdia Drivers,gave it to the official service center ,they repasted (thermal paste) but issue still persists ,They are also not understanding what to do.Any Suggestions would be helpful. I have tried all the things mentioned in the forums ,still didn't fix.

Should i upgrade my ram to other 16gb dual channel?? .Does it fix the issue ? Please help me

Please watch this video for reference: https://youtu.be/MGq7sqgvRZw

Upgrading the ram on dual channel will improve the performance (this is the model that I bought, same timings) It will improve the FPS of your games like DOTA 2. Unfortunately the issue lies on BIOS or NVIDIA update. For Temporary fix I've limit multiplier on Turbo Limits of my CPU to 29 using ThrottleStop which is highlighted on Green.

P.S 1: My BIOS Version was 311. I've reverted back from 312 since this version the undervolting was restricted
P.S 2: You can also undervolt (CPU Core and Cache) + Speedshift + Diable BD Procshot (Check highlighted items on yellow)
P.S 3: ThrottleStop Guide
P.S 4: I've encountered the issue on dropping frames on Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3 and PUBG
P.S 5: The dropping of FPS is caused by when your GPU workload changed from 99% to 100%, the clockspeed will downclock on 250mhz
P.S 6: I've repasted my CPU, GPU and VRAMS and reverted to nvidia driver v442.94. Still I've encounter FPS drop on games

silvergem wrote:
Upgrading the ram on dual channel will improve the performance (this is the model that I bought, same timings) It will improve the FPS of your games like DOTA 2. Unfortunately the issue lies on BIOS or NVIDIA update. For Temporary fix I've limit multiplier on Turbo Limits of my CPU to 29 using ThrottleStop which is highlighted on Green.

P.S 1: My BIOS Version was 311. I've reverted back from 312 since this version the undervolting was restricted
P.S 2: You can also undervolt (CPU Core and Cache) + Speedshift + Diable BD Procshot (Check highlighted items on yellow)
P.S 3: ThrottleStop Guide
P.S 4: I've encountered the issue on dropping frames on Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3 and PUBG
P.S 5: The dropping of FPS is caused by when your GPU workload changed from 99% to 100%, the clockspeed will downclock on 250mhz
P.S 6: I've repasted my CPU, GPU and VRAMS and reverted to nvidia driver v442.94. Still I've encounter FPS drop on games

I have tried UV using throttlestop keeping -100 mv (as -80 mv is not stable for me)still issue persists ,I will try adding another 16gb ram ,hope it fixes .Thanks for the reply man.So kind of you . Also many users having same unit facing same issue ,there were many posts, Petitions signed online on this ,but still Asus still didnt fix through some Bios updates or so... so frustrating as this ain't any budget segment kinda laptop,it costs much.Hope it fixes for me after adding another 16gigs. Thanks.

rohmuk3333 wrote:
I have tried UV using throttlestop keeping -100 mv (as -80 mv is not stable for me)still issue persists ,I will try adding another 16gb ram ,hope it fixes .Thanks for the reply man.So kind of you . Also many users having same unit facing same issue ,there were many posts, Petitions signed online on this ,but still Asus still didnt fix through some Bios updates or so... so frustrating as this ain't any budget segment kinda laptop,it costs much.Hope it fixes for me after adding another 16gigs. Thanks.

Please read my whole reply above, the issue will go away when u limit the clockspeed of CPU. I think the issue is related to nvidia driver. there are many forums online that encounter same issue with higher configuration of laptops

silvergem wrote:
Please read my whole reply above, the issue will go away when u limit the clockspeed of CPU. I think the issue is related to nvidia driver. there are many forums online that encounter same issue with higher configuration of laptops

Yeah Okay ,will UV using throttlestop keeping those values and test again.Thank you.

I've downloaded the from the GPU driver with Version V25.21.14.2546 (425.46) from Asus Website, and still encountering FPS drops in games (E.g PUBG)

Stikergtr wrote:
Hi I used GL504GS after openbox and used with Original Silicone
Idle 55c FullLoad 98c (Test with play ARK with High Setting)
then bought Mx-4 with Arctic cooling pad 1.5mm
Idle 60c FullLoad Start with 80 then 100c ( use high performance thermal pad on RAM VRM etc)
today I re apply Geil GC with standard 2mm Themal (Super cheap)
Idle 45 - 55c Full Load 3.9Ghz Temp sit around 77 - 81 and max at 82 one core!!!!

All setup with -125mv CPU and -85 Cache and leave all other default
No Fan Kickdown No Freeze all game now playable with less noise I'm so happy now.:o

Can you gave the link of Geil GC??