cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GS+GM useful thread [Troubleshooting & Guide]

McCoy
Level 9
Please join thread LETTER TO ASUS FOR ADDRESSING GL504 SERIES PROBLEMS [PLEASE SIGN]

So, here is my GL504GM/GS guide I profound myself while using it extensively in different configurations.
This thread is INTENDED TO GAIN ATTENTION FROM ASUS ENGINEERS! GUYS, PLEASE HELP US GET THIS BEAUTY TO WORK!

DISCLAIMER! DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK! IT IS NOT SAFE! IT CAN (AND IT WILL) VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

Basic information:
ASUS GL504GS Downloads page
Current (23/11/2018) is BIOS 305!

The microstuttering, lags and freezes

Let’s get it point-by-point, because there is a single problem which is consist of different cases.

The CPU

So, our 8750H is a hot one (relatively to similar mobile solutions), let’s analyze its role in our headaches :

Throttling: understanding Thermal (THER) and Power Limit (PM) throttling

So the basic approach is to check whenever it takes place on your laptop. The best tool is Intel XTU, please do the following:


  • Install Intel XTU
  • Add graphs for all available throttling (Power Limit, Temp)
  • Go and play
  • Periodically check what is up with graph


See? If it’s not PMed, then it is TEMPed. What to do?
[EASY SOLUTION]

Change your power plan, by modifying power to CPU from 100% to 99% and totally lock Turbo Boost. It’s a solid solution which will sacrifice raw power in matter of better (way better Temps), and way lower noise.

[MEDIJM SOLUTION]

Use XTU to downvolt CPU, by lowering core voltage.

[HEAVY DUTY SOLUTION]

Disassemble and repast ALL thermals in your laptop. Check this video for guidance:


[ULTIMATE SOLUTION]

Do all above (except easy one), and...

... download the shell.efi, and modify some variables by loading shell in disabled secured boot in UEFI.

The Nahimic solution

Do fresh windows install, and DO NOT INSTALL NAHIMIC and Sonic Studio.

Liquid metal repasting guide (by myself!)

FAQ:

: Cooling Pad or unflat position leads to significant FPS drops and/or stuttering
Mentioned here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105890-Strix-Scar-II-Cooling-Pad-Causes-FPS-Drop-Terribly
: Reason is interconnected with adaptable cooling algorithms which ASUS itself realized by using leveraged way. So until SOME temp is reached (ex. 80c), fans are not kicking in – on border temp 79c system struggles with power limit and/or temperature throttling. Additional cooling distort variables on which such algorhytms are based, and significantly affects fans workaround. So it’s ok, if GL504 ran faster on higher temps.

Shortly: Cooling pad is distorting pre-defined cooling algorithms (also known as FAN CURVES). It won't help you with temps, they WILL stood the same, but you will reduce noise.

: What is GRUB? And what's it for? And how to GRUB?
: GRUB is external EFI shell, that gives you an ability to change variables of settings in UEFI-BIOS of our GL504GS/GM, without modifying BIOS itself.
ASUS GL504GS BIOS unlock thread, and GRUBing guide


: I can't install basic touchpad drivers after windows fresh install!
: Please install basic Intel Serial I/O driver from ASUS download page.

: I just bought my laptop 2 weeks ago, and i playing every games the gpu/cpu temp around 85-90°. Is that normal for this laptop?
: There are two types of answers ...
The short one - YES, that is probably fine, make sure Overboost is on, so heat dissipation is on its maximum.
The long one ...
Current thermal management of Intel processors is really complicated things. Especially in terms of Turbo Boost and adaptive cooling. Intel have done a great work making their processor as cool is possible under low load, and as powerful as possible in high load under. Unfortunately, ASUS engineers didn't spend enough time to get it cooling system (very well designed, though!) to correctly. If you're not experiencing significant performance drops - please switch Maximum Processor State to 99%, so you will be able to SIGNIFICANTLY reduce temperatures and noise level.


: Cann't find any info about different models...Does this model actually have 144Hz display or not?
: All GL504GS/GM are equiped with 144Hz screen.
431 Views
139 REPLIES 139

I did a little bit of research and i decided to undevolt my GPU with MSI Afterburner by adjusting the Voltage/Frequency Curve. I was able to undervolt my GTX 1060 to 0,900 by leveling the "dots" up to 1924MHz. This gave me a little overclocking effect as well and eliminated power and voltage limitations my GPU was suffering from.

Long story short, my GPU temps stays around 70 degrees and because the cooling system of the GL504GM has shared heatpipes, this decrease of GPU temps also affects the CPU, which stays now at 77 degrees avg. I think thats very usefull as the GL504GM is not very undervolting friendly when it comes to the CPU.

Thats a good solution to deal with this ****ty fan settings and the high temps til ASUS finally delivers a software update.

This is the video i used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpIkYr9aDc8&t=247s

Hello guys. As all of you, I ve been suffering with my strix scar ii. Its fans are crazy loud even in idle. It is really nonsense how it works.
I uninstalled all the asus **** softwares/drivers I could from my computer and I undervolted -0.085V. It got better I think, but sometimes the fans starts to be totally crazy and most part of the times, they stop after a stress test of Intel ETU. Which does not make any sense considering that during the stress test the fan speed should be higher and not the opposite.
In summary, my next laptop probably won't be an asus ROG :(. I had always liked ROG.

Have someone tested the BIOS 307 of GM in the GL405GS? Does it work?

I am almost opening the F#$ing laptop and connecting a potentiometer in the middle of the source wire of the fan. Then, I will be able to control the fan speed by brute force! hahahaha

I really hope that ASUS team help us with a new driver, BIOS, replacements parts or whatever. It is embarrassing to take the laptop to an office.

leandrofgr wrote:
Hello guys. As all of you, I ve been suffering with my strix scar ii. Its fans are crazy loud even in idle. It is really nonsense how it works.
I uninstalled all the asus **** softwares/drivers I could from my computer and I undervolted -0.085V. It got better I think, but sometimes the fans starts to be totally crazy and most part of the times, they stop after a stress test of Intel ETU. Which does not make any sense considering that during the stress test the fan speed should be higher and not the opposite.
In summary, my next laptop probably won't be an asus ROG :(. I had always liked ROG.

Have someone tested the BIOS 307 of GM in the GL405GS? Does it work?

I am almost opening the F#$ing laptop and connecting a potentiometer in the middle of the source wire of the fan. Then, I will be able to control the fan speed by brute force! hahahaha

I really hope that ASUS team help us with a new driver, BIOS, replacements parts or whatever. It is embarrassing to take the laptop to an office.


You can join efforts on unlocking BIOS.

I don't think anyone was able to flash 307 og GM to GS -> 99% chance to brick entire laptop.

leandrofgr wrote:
Hello guys. As all of you, I ve been suffering with my strix scar ii. Its fans are crazy loud even in idle. It is really nonsense how it works.
I uninstalled all the asus **** softwares/drivers I could from my computer and I undervolted -0.085V. It got better I think, but sometimes the fans starts to be totally crazy and most part of the times, they stop after a stress test of Intel ETU. Which does not make any sense considering that during the stress test the fan speed should be higher and not the opposite.
In summary, my next laptop probably won't be an asus ROG :(. I had always liked ROG.

Have someone tested the BIOS 307 of GM in the GL405GS? Does it work?

I am almost opening the F#$ing laptop and connecting a potentiometer in the middle of the source wire of the fan. Then, I will be able to control the fan speed by brute force! hahahaha

I really hope that ASUS team help us with a new driver, BIOS, replacements parts or whatever. It is embarrassing to take the laptop to an office.
o also have the same problem the fan are running at high speed even at idle use some time and fan profile is not working it does not change the speed after changing the profile to silent

avnv007 wrote:
o also have the same problem the fan are running at high speed even at idle use some time and fan profile is not working it does not change the speed after changing the profile to silent



Welcome to the club my friend! I am sorry to tell you but there is no solution. We are all still hopping for a solution from Asus.

This so called premium rog laptop gave me more headaches than my last potato 650m laptop, been more than 6 months now that I got the hero 2 ( gtx 1060), and I haven't enjoyed a single game I played on it,all I did in those 6 months is running benchmark for different games to somehow get a stable enough pe romance, always shutter or fps drops, thermal throttling and what not, even 60+ fps don't feel smooth in most games on this piece of junk.
If I have to undervolt my cpu, put better thermal paste, limit my cpu clock speed, disabling turbo, etc etc then I don't know why i am paying asus approx 2000$ in the first place, I expect a 2000$ laptop to give me enjoyable performance from stock.

My left fan is at 100% no matter the CPU LOAD and temps, sometimes with temps below 31°C and CPU & GPU at idle (2% load or less) the fan is still at 100% speed.

I've tried EVERYTHING, including BIOS flash, windows clean install, driver updates, rollbacks, everything you can possibly imagine.

bmrizzuti wrote:
My left fan is at 100% no matter the CPU LOAD and temps, sometimes with temps below 31°C and CPU & GPU at idle (2% load or less) the fan is still at 100% speed.

I've tried EVERYTHING, including BIOS flash, windows clean install, driver updates, rollbacks, everything you can possibly imagine.

where do you live did you tries to contact with asus service i am also aving the same problem

Long story short its been a nightmare... I live in California and the nearest authorized repair center is in Texas.

Issues with my unit:

- Right side fan has a loud rattle
- Fan would run at full speed randomly throughout the day and I was unable to adjust the fan speed via hotkey/rog center.
- Temps would spike 10-15 degrees within seconds while gaming (prob bad thermal paste).

1st RMA - 3 week turnaround ($50.00 out of pocket to ship)

- Unit came back with the loud rattle still there.. impossible for them not to hear it. How do you miss that??
- They completely destroyed my speakers.. super distorted and they somehow managed to reverse the left and right sounds. (throw a grenade to your left and sound will come from the right..:mad:)
- Temps still spike
- They fixed one thing!!! I'm now able to adjust the fan speed:cool:.. from the 2-3 hours I had it before sending it back (lol) the fans peed didnt go crazy on me.

2nd RMA - Another 3 week turn around and is currently being shipped back to me (Called support and explained the situation, they paid for shipping this time.. GROUND service.. oh jeeze thanks.)

- Ill give an update next week when my unit comes in.

jakesik wrote:
Long story short its been a nightmare... I live in California and the nearest authorized repair center is in Texas.

Issues with my unit:

- Right side fan has a loud rattle
- Fan would run at full speed randomly throughout the day and I was unable to adjust the fan speed via hotkey/rog center.
- Temps would spike 10-15 degrees within seconds while gaming (prob bad thermal paste).

1st RMA - 3 week turnaround ($50.00 out of pocket to ship)

- Unit came back with the loud rattle still there.. impossible for them not to hear it. How do you miss that??
- They completely destroyed my speakers.. super distorted and they somehow managed to reverse the left and right sounds. (throw a grenade to your left and sound will come from the right..:mad:)
- Temps still spike
- They fixed one thing!!! I'm now able to adjust the fan speed:cool:.. from the 2-3 hours I had it before sending it back (lol) the fans peed didnt go crazy on me.

2nd RMA - Another 3 week turn around and is currently being shipped back to me (Called support and explained the situation, they paid for shipping this time.. GROUND service.. oh jeeze thanks.)

- Ill give an update next week when my unit comes in.

does your fan problem is solved?