cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM huge framedrops - GPU usage spiking out of nowhere

cedie1994
Level 7
I've seen multiple people mentioning the extact issue as i'm encountering myself.

So about a week ago, i started recieving these crazy "stutters", that make any somewhat GPU intensive game completely unplayable.
The GPU usage would randomly spike from 60 - 70% to 99 - 100% resulting in my clock speed to drop significantly and my FPS to hit single digits.

This has nothing to do with the ingame settings, all of the games i encountered this issue with used to run perfectly fine and at very reasonable temperatures.

The issue is demonstrated in the video shown below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPJ_BNjk8yY&feature=youtu.be

I've pretty much exhausted all the solutions i could find on this forum, and so far nothing has worked.
The sudden nature of this issue appearing has made me think it's caused by some recent (driver)update, but i can't be sure.
1,590 Views
13 REPLIES 13

cedie1994
Level 7
Bump

cedie1994 wrote:
Bump


Thanks for your reply 😮
It's pretty sad though that they haven't adressed this problem yet 😕

silvergem
Level 7
cedie1994 wrote:
I've seen multiple people mentioning the extact issue as i'm encountering myself.

So about a week ago, i started recieving these crazy "stutters", that make any somewhat GPU intensive game completely unplayable.
The GPU usage would randomly spike from 60 - 70% to 99 - 100% resulting in my clock speed to drop significantly and my FPS to hit single digits.

This has nothing to do with the ingame settings, all of the games i encountered this issue with used to run perfectly fine and at very reasonable temperatures.

The issue is demonstrated in the video shown below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPJ_BNjk8yY&feature=youtu.be

I've pretty much exhausted all the solutions i could find on this forum, and so far nothing has worked.
The sudden nature of this issue appearing has made me think it's caused by some recent (driver)update, but i can't be sure.


This is an issue for past few months, until now no fix for us. also ive direct message of one of the asus mod here to get the changelog of BIOS updates, they response that the cannot give this info. This is either GPU driver or BIOS issue

cedie1994
Level 7
Still no fix as of today 😕

try rolling back your graphics drivers to a version that recently ran well. modify in-game settings to reduce shadow and or LOD.

KorosuKivy wrote:
try rolling back your graphics drivers to a version that recently ran well. modify in-game settings to reduce shadow and or LOD.


As mentioned in my post, this has nothing to do with the ingame settings, i can play the game on min settings, reduce resolution to 1280 * 720 and this still occurs.
I've also tried earlier versions of my graphics driver, clean installs with DDU, multiple factory resets,... and all to no avail.

cedie1994 wrote:
As mentioned in my post, this has nothing to do with the ingame settings, i can play the game on min settings, reduce resolution to 1280 * 720 and this still occurs.
I've also tried earlier versions of my graphics driver, clean installs with DDU, multiple factory resets,... and all to no avail.


Well if you have exhausted all software fronts its going to be a hardware issue. and its probably going to be a low voltage getting to your GPU or thermals being overcooked.

KorosuKivy wrote:
Well if you have exhausted all software fronts its going to be a hardware issue. and its probably going to be a low voltage getting to your GPU or thermals being overcooked.


Take a look at the video, temperatures are fine and these were at a hot summer day, generally i never exceed 75 °C on even the most demanding games i play.
The issue i'm having is common for the GL504GM, there's multiple posts on this forum of people with the exact same issue, making a hardware issue far more unlikely.
What would cause a low voltage getting to my GPU though?

cedie1994 wrote:
Take a look at the video, temperatures are fine and these were at a hot summer day, generally i never exceed 75 ÃÃâ€*’‚°C on even the most demanding games i play.
The issue i'm having is common for the GL504GM, there's multiple posts on this forum of people with the exact same issue, making a hardware issue far more unlikely.
What would cause a low voltage getting to my GPU though?



undervolt from the bios, "if" you have that enabled other than that your sol and will need to rma your laptop

Btw when this happens does ArmouryCrate.UserSessionHelper take a ****? If that's a big juicy yes then you found your problem. if not then you're joining the rest of those that have no luck resolving this.