cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM GPU Fan on max RPM on idle

wollpie
Level 8
Hello all.
Apparently I'm lucky and my Strix Hero II doesn't have any FPS issues or anything like that. The laptop never reaches above 85 C from what I've seen. However, I have on issue with it. Whenever I turn on the laptop or at random points when it should be idling, the GPU fan hits up 4900-6400 RPM. Obviously this would not be an issue if I was playing something but all I'm doing it looking at my desktop. I bought this laptop because I believed it would be good for both using in class and gaming, but if I'm going to have a jet engine go off every time I open my laptop, it's going to be an issue. Another thing worth noting is that the CPU idles around 2.9 GHz sometimes. I have no explanation for this either.
I've gone no further than looking around online if anyone else has this kind of issue and I've not really found any solutions. I can provide pictures/benchmarks if needed.

Thanks.
57 REPLIES 57

Has anybody found a solution for this?? i'm literally on the verge of having tantrum towards Asus Service Center :mad:

Stormer64 wrote:
Has anybody found a solution for this?? i'm literally on the verge of having tantrum towards Asus Service Center :mad:

Yes. Check the fan connectors.

I've re connected the fan connectors a few times already and repasted and undervolted the CPU/GPU.
Idle temps are in the 30's but still my left fan goes crazy when not doing anything.

This is driving me nuts. I might do a warranty RMA, but since I repasted, I am not sure if they will take it...

chaugh wrote:
I've re connected the fan connectors a few times already and repasted and undervolted the CPU/GPU.
Idle temps are in the 30's but still my left fan goes crazy when not doing anything.

This is driving me nuts. I might do a warranty RMA, but since I repasted, I am not sure if they will take it...

I writed tips on another post:
The fan connector is below the SSD.
I have now succeeded in solving the problem that the fan does high spin: liquid metal heat conductor (GPU, CPU), new video card fan (the old one had a coffee grinder sound after half a year), the latest Intel® Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Drive (DPTF_Intel_CFL_W10_64_V84105016067). I don't know why, but half a year ago the win8 driver was still available for win10. The file you download in its name contains the win version (W10 or W8.1). It is hidden under "other" in the download center.
Win10 Enterprise is installed on the machine (I had problems with Pro after 1.5 years). It is still running (4 days ago) and it will turn out how long. The fan shows a quarter-year-old dust, which I only brushed with a toothbrush and then blown it out with compressed air.

Unsure if the problem was the fan connector, wire or the fan itself. Bought 2 new fans for about 50 euros and some good high temp isolating tape and replaced both of them. The GPU fan was the one spinning like crazy but the cpu one was also rattling so just decided to fix both in one go.

It's been almost 3 months since i've done this and the problem hasn't come up again, lets see if it doesn't come back.

I had the same problem as many others in these forum. The GPU fan located under the power button (right hand side) was on max even when the GPU is on idle. I found a short term solution that makes the fan noise go away but only until the next time that you restart your laptop. So what I did is reboot into safe mode and use the display driver uninstaller by guru3d which is available online. After that I restart the pc and reinstall the nvidia driver, and voilÃ* after a couple of minutes the fan stops spinning out of control for the rest of the day. Hope this helps someone when they have to use the laptop in a public space.

SteveD92 wrote:
I had the same problem as many others in these forum. The GPU fan located under the power button (right hand side) was on max even when the GPU is on idle. I found a short term solution that makes the fan noise go away but only until the next time that you restart your laptop. So what I did is reboot into safe mode and use the display driver uninstaller by guru3d which is available online. After that I restart the pc and reinstall the nvidia driver, and voilÃ* after a couple of minutes the fan stops spinning out of control for the rest of the day. Hope this helps someone when they have to use the laptop in a public space.

One more update to anyone who might still care about the GPU fan noise on this laptop. My gpu fan was running on max even on idle and I finally got it fixed by installing rog gaming center 2.6.1.0 but more importantly by uninstalling MyAsus program. After uninstalling MyAsus and restarting the pc the fan noise went away! It seems to me that the problem was many different programs were trying to control the fan sensors and it malfunctioned as a result. Hope this helps other people as well.

SteveD92 wrote:
One more update to anyone who might still care about the GPU fan noise on this laptop. My gpu fan was running on max even on idle and I finally got it fixed by installing rog gaming center 2.6.1.0 but more importantly by uninstalling MyAsus program. After uninstalling MyAsus and restarting the pc the fan noise went away! It seems to me that the problem was many different programs were trying to control the fan sensors and it malfunctioned as a result. Hope this helps other people as well.

Interesting.
MyASUS is an app common to all ASUS models, it also has fan control capabilities but it is hidden and supposedly disabled for our model.
I also had this issue aprox. by the time you posted on this forum.

This issue comes and goes without hardware intervention, only regular PC use, but when it happens it is pretty consistent for a couple of days.
Never a day maxing and the other day not happening. It stays for a while then disappear like nothing ever happened.
I also experienced it disappearing after a good amount of minutes like dan_himura reported but very rarely.
I haven't tried your solution yet as i'm investigating this issue further. *
What's your BIOS version and Windows 10 Build version ?
Thanks

Made some progress.

I believe this is related to the discrete gpu clock being locked to 4007mhz at Gaming Center but i'm not really sure.
For unknown reasons nvidia's 3d settings power management mode is set to prefer max performance Â*(which is not the default).
If you try to change and reboot it will always be set to max performance on boot. Other settings will not.
Yesterday i restored this pc from an OEM clean image that i have and it was fine for a while, the clock decreased when idle and i heard no fan issue.
I believe that is some software messing with clock setting (at least with this specific case)
I have a minimum third party software (just a few games well known and popular and a cloning software that i doubt will mess with card settings) so i might check both third party software and ASUS and Microsoft related.
Today i have it set to 4007mhz again and i haven't properly tested the fans as it not always happens.

*To check your GPU clock i recommend GPU-Z. You can also monitor to some extend with ASUS Gaming Center.Â*

Hello everyone! I have a Scar II (GL504GM) and I've been having problems with the GPU fan (right) for months.

I've tried several things recommended in this thread, but none seems to work.
The behavior of the fan is very unpredictable. Sometimes as soon as I turn on the laptop it keeps spinning at max until I turn it off. Sometimes it spins at max for 5-10 minutes and then it stops until I turn it off. Sometimes it spins at max for 5-10 minutes, it stops, but then the issue comes back after a few hours of use and it can either spin at max, or constantly ''silent-loud'' in like 5s intervals. I've tried unplugging the power cord overnight and the next day the behaviour is also unpredictable: one of the scenarios above.
For like a month and a half, It only spun for 5-10 minutes after turning it on until I turned it off, but the problem came back without having changed a thing in terms of software or hardware. These ''cycles'' can last for weeks/months.

It's really bothersome because I rarely play video games on this machine. The warranty has expired, but roughly 5 months after I bought it I had to send it back for repair because of the CPU fan. That has been fixed, and the folks at the repair center replaced the motherboard, if I'm not mistaken.

When it comes to software I've tried several things. I've formatted the PC countless times, I'm using Win10 (everything is up-to-date), ROG Gaming Center (2.7.1), latest BIOS (312), latest Graphic Drivers, installed MyASUS to get some Asus programs, but then uninstalled it right away thanks to what I read in one of the post above and nothing. Nothing seems to stop this fan from spinning out of control. Tried installing GPU Tweak III, and even though I must confess it's a bit out of my reach, it also doesn't seem to have any effect on the fan. I've also tried installing and uninstalling ASUS GPU Check and nothing. I'm basically on this carousel of installing and uninstalling stuff to no avail.

When it comes to hardware, I'm not tech savvy enough to replace fans, pins, connectors etc. , but I opened the case and cleaned everything up, so dust definitely doesn't play a role here.

Based on what I read here I feel like there isn't a consensus as to whether this is a software or a hardware issue.

I'm looking forward to your input, and since lots of people are experiencing similar things with this model, I hope we can solve this together!
Thanks for reading.