cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM GPU Fan on max RPM on idle

wollpie
Level 8
Hello all.
Apparently I'm lucky and my Strix Hero II doesn't have any FPS issues or anything like that. The laptop never reaches above 85 C from what I've seen. However, I have on issue with it. Whenever I turn on the laptop or at random points when it should be idling, the GPU fan hits up 4900-6400 RPM. Obviously this would not be an issue if I was playing something but all I'm doing it looking at my desktop. I bought this laptop because I believed it would be good for both using in class and gaming, but if I'm going to have a jet engine go off every time I open my laptop, it's going to be an issue. Another thing worth noting is that the CPU idles around 2.9 GHz sometimes. I have no explanation for this either.
I've gone no further than looking around online if anyone else has this kind of issue and I've not really found any solutions. I can provide pictures/benchmarks if needed.

Thanks.
57 REPLIES 57

Stormer64 wrote:
May i ask how do you update ASUS_FRQ_Control and which version works best? I cant seem to find MyASUS app anywhere...

here is the link for the MyAsus App

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9N7R5S6B0ZZH

TX2000 wrote:
here is the link for the MyAsus App

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9N7R5S6B0ZZH

Just got the app, but still no idea on how to update ASUS_FRQ_control

Wouldnt that void my warranty?

that is right!!!!

I have a bold guess, this is caused by static electricity on the main board.

My machine is GL504GM, which has the same problem as yours. After I tried to unplug the battery and fan wiring on the motherboard and plug it in again, the problem disappeared.

And for the next few days, there were no problems. But over a longer period of time, the problem will slowly recur.

My guess is that static electricity from the motherboard caused the control chip to go crazy, so the fan went crazy.

Improper computer design, ungrounded power sockets or defective motherboards can cause static electricity to accumulate on the motherboards.

Similarly, higher temperatures may affect static electricity on the motherboard, so high processor loads may bring the fan back to normal.

Now every once in a while, I unplug the battery and fan cables from the motherboard and plug them back in. The problem can be solved temporarily.

Before, any software or BIOS update that caused the problem to disappear may have been done by them just as the fan problem disappeared, so they mistakenly thought that their operation caused the fan repair.

Above is my guess and method, at least this method is useful in my GL504GM, I hope it can help you.

棽木;781503 wrote:
that is right!!!!
I have a bold guess, this is caused by static electricity on the main board.
My machine is GL504GM, which has the same problem as yours. After I tried to unplug the battery and fan wiring on the motherboard and plug it in again, the problem disappeared.
And for the next few days, there were no problems. But over a longer period of time, the problem will slowly recur.
My guess is that static electricity from the motherboard caused the control chip to go crazy, so the fan went crazy.
Improper computer design, ungrounded power sockets or defective motherboards can cause static electricity to accumulate on the motherboards.
Similarly, higher temperatures may affect static electricity on the motherboard, so high processor loads may bring the fan back to normal.
Now every once in a while, I unplug the battery and fan cables from the motherboard and plug them back in. The problem can be solved temporarily.
Before, any software or BIOS update that caused the problem to disappear may have been done by them just as the fan problem disappeared, so they mistakenly thought that their operation caused the fan repair.
Above is my guess and method, at least this method is useful in my GL504GM, I hope it can help you.

It's just a bad fan or bad connection on the fan's rpm signal wire. Nothing to do with static.

ockie
Level 7
wollpie wrote:
Hello all.
Apparently I'm lucky and my Strix Hero II doesn't have any FPS issues or anything like that. The laptop never reaches above 85 C from what I've seen. However, I have on issue with it. Whenever I turn on the laptop or at random points when it should be idling, the GPU fan hits up 4900-6400 RPM. Obviously this would not be an issue if I was playing something but all I'm doing it looking at my desktop. I bought this laptop because I believed it would be good for both using in class and gaming, but if I'm going to have a jet engine go off every time I open my laptop, it's going to be an issue. Another thing worth noting is that the CPU idles around 2.9 GHz sometimes. I have no explanation for this either.
I've gone no further than looking around online if anyone else has this kind of issue and I've not really found any solutions. I can provide pictures/benchmarks if needed.

Thanks.

I had the same problem, i even made a post on this forum. i just downloaded the ROG Gaming Center on an android and it somehow fixed it.... my fan was going 5800RPM in silent mode and now its 1900RPM in silent mode for some reason they dont show the fanspeed in the ROG Gaming Center on your laptop. It still boosts up now and then for no reason to 3800RPM.. lets hope its somehow fixed. Good Luck!

wollpie
Level 8
Alright gents so I sent in my laptop, got it back 4 days ago and the issue disappeared. They replaced a part, listed on a paper I got back with the laptop, here's a picture I took of it https://i.imgur.com/EnkesGq.png. I don't know if you can request that they replace a specific part or not, but that seems to have fixed my issue.

wollpie wrote:
Alright gents so I sent in my laptop, got it back 4 days ago and the issue disappeared. They replaced a part, listed on a paper I got back with the laptop, here's a picture I took of it https://i.imgur.com/EnkesGq.png. I don't know if you can request that they replace a specific part or not, but that seems to have fixed my issue.

According to the picture, they replaced the motherboard and they do the same things for me. But few weeks later , the problem is coming angin.

So they replaced my motherboard and in just one day, the problem came back. When I asked them to replace the fan, they did change the fan first to test the problem but it's still there. I assume that our problem isn't caused by hardware and more likely to be caused by the newer-than-factory softwares. Im not giving up on fixing this yet, will go back to the service center for the third time.

The only thing i found that temporarily fixes is is unplugging the battery connector. There must be some sort state that can only be reset when the power is completely cut off. I mostly use the laptop at home in a stand connected to peripherals and these days I don't even put the screws in anymore. Just makes it easier to open up when it starts to be too loud and annoy me. I might do a clean windows install soon when i install the 1909 feature update, maybe that makes a difference, who knows.