cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM GPU Fan on max RPM on idle

wollpie
Level 8
Hello all.
Apparently I'm lucky and my Strix Hero II doesn't have any FPS issues or anything like that. The laptop never reaches above 85 C from what I've seen. However, I have on issue with it. Whenever I turn on the laptop or at random points when it should be idling, the GPU fan hits up 4900-6400 RPM. Obviously this would not be an issue if I was playing something but all I'm doing it looking at my desktop. I bought this laptop because I believed it would be good for both using in class and gaming, but if I'm going to have a jet engine go off every time I open my laptop, it's going to be an issue. Another thing worth noting is that the CPU idles around 2.9 GHz sometimes. I have no explanation for this either.
I've gone no further than looking around online if anyone else has this kind of issue and I've not really found any solutions. I can provide pictures/benchmarks if needed.

Thanks.
57 REPLIES 57

Gigimat wrote:
Try to unplug and then reconnect the two fan connectors.

Sounds like it's worth a shot. Once I open the laptop, how do I locate the connectors themselves? I looked at the manual that came with the laptop and found nothing about the internals of the device.

Hi Wollpie,

Unfortunately for me i'm not as lucky as you as my machine is having the opposite behavior and the internal cooling system is not picking up as intended. basically reaching throttling after 2 min of gaming even the most basic game forcing us to UV both cpu and gpu and thermal repaste AND turn off cpu overboost (which makes it a 2.9 max) AND play in windowed mode AND manually lower the screen refreshment rate until Asus deems necessary to come back to us or release the next vbios,what a marvelous gaming experience for that amount of money right?. In your case and what has been reported already by countless owners the fans can be on max speed while the fan mode is set on silent and an idle load, the good news is your fans are COOLING properly and picking up as soon heat sensor are as well
I'm kind of surprised no one has given you any concrete information on this thread yet as your issue and my issue are two very well known problems and actually you will have one or the other but not both and this is the same for the hero 2 and scar 2.

Basically, the internal cooling system is defectuous and here you are the lucky one again because there is a new bios (307) which is being shared on another thread on this forum by owners of the GL504GM that actually solves the issues, i should warn you that it is an unofficial one.

May i ask how you calculated the rpm of your fans between 4900-6400 RPM? Asus doesnt allow any kind of monitoring or manual setting of the fans (aside from the joke that silent, balanced and overboost are for the moment, if working as intended it would be perfect) So i'm really curious to know how you mesured that.

Fullrom wrote:
Hi Wollpie,

May i ask how you calculated the rpm of your fans between 4900-6400 RPM? Asus doesnt allow any kind of monitoring or manual setting of the fans (aside from the joke that silent, balanced and overboost are for the moment, if working as intended it would be perfect) So i'm really curious to know how you mesured that.

You can see it at the Rog Center

StepOne wrote:
You can see it at the Rog Center

A little bit more details?? I'm obviously navitaging in the rog center a lot as I mentioned not finding anything there.
Its like saying to someone trying to learn how to drive, just drive...:confused:

Fullrom wrote:
A little bit more details?? I'm obviously navitaging in the rog center a lot as I mentioned not finding anything there.
Its like saying to someone trying to learn how to drive, just drive...:confused:

I personally used the companion app which the top left corner of the ROG center led me to. From there I connected it to my laptop via bluetooth and then was able to set it to show me RPM of the fans, which I was how I was able to tell it was the GPU fan.

As far as that new BIOS you mentioned goes, is it safe to use? Does ASUS have a planned release for a newer BIOS that's not unofficial like that one?

I've the same problem, laptop in idle and the fan spinning to the max for a few minutes, stops and then go again.
Yesterday I installed the official 307 version of the GL504GM...I think it got worse.
(https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-II/HelpDesk_Download/)

This is a real common issue on most ROG laptops.

I was yesterday in a game design school and many students having ROG laptops had this issue, none of them found any solution. I also have a ROG GL503GE that has the issue. The GPU fan is at max as soon as I start the computer, for 15 min to more than 1 hour, no matter what I do. Then it stops, for a few hours or a few minutes and starts again. One of my sons also bought a ROG and it is even worse.

I have the latest Bios, the latest Windows 10 64b update, the latest GeForce bios and drivers updates, and it changes nothing. the computer is just 7 months old. I asked the Asus support to fix the problem, they say they are not aware of it... which is absolutely wrong unless they never read this forum where this problem has been adressed many many times.

I will definitely never buy an Asus computer again, and never recommend it.

update:
Took the laptop to the store for the warranty, after a week they sent it back with the board replaced.
All looked good, fans were just spinning when they had to...less than a month afterwards it is starting to spin out of control again.
Don't know if this is due to poorly written drivers or just poorly designed hardware...

fred_76 wrote:
This is a real common issue on most ROG laptops.

I was yesterday in a game design school and many students having ROG laptops had this issue, none of them found any solution. I also have a ROG GL503GE that has the issue. The GPU fan is at max as soon as I start the computer, for 15 min to more than 1 hour, no matter what I do. Then it stops, for a few hours or a few minutes and starts again. One of my sons also bought a ROG and it is even worse.

I have the latest Bios, the latest Windows 10 64b update, the latest GeForce bios and drivers updates, and it changes nothing. the computer is just 7 months old. I asked the Asus support to fix the problem, they say they are not aware of it... which is absolutely wrong unless they never read this forum where this problem has been adressed many many times.

I will definitely never buy an Asus computer again, and never recommend it.

I have GL503GE myself, the GPU fan went up to 7000RPM for over an hour and then stop for a few minutes then start to run at max speed again. Usually even for gaming it just run at around 5000RPM. I found out that the problem is at the battery, I don't know the details but when I searched for errors at EventViewer I found some Embedded Controll (EC ) errors from ACPI, So I just unplug-replug the fan power cable then unplug the battery. GPU fan never reached max speed (7000RPM) again while the battery wasn't used. So right now I just unplug the battery cable whenever I feel annoyed of the noise.

I found something that was quite effective : disable SuperFetch (or SysMain) under windows 10. There are many tutorials on the net that explain that. Since then, the fans are running quietly. Windows takes a bit longer to start, and some apps are also longer to start but nothing terrible, at least as horrible as the noise of the fans !

See here :

*https://www.technipages.com/windows-enable-disable-superfetch

*https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/99821-enable-disable-superfetch-windows.html