cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM built-in speaker volume fluctuating loud/soft

Ashenx
Level 7
Hey everybody.

This laptop is a little over a month old, and I think the problem has existed since I had it. Basically when listening to audio, movies, youtube, etc, the volume will suddenly drop very low only to randomly spike again for a short burst before dropping back down, as if it's being equalized in the absolute worst, random possible way.

Here's what I've tried so far:

-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to the newest version
-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to previous versions (04/18 and 08/18)
-Sound>Communications>adjusting for sound calls to "Do Nothing"
-For the hell of it, attempted to change the sample rate and bit depth
-Also for the hell of it, did not allow applications to take control of this device
-Again, for the hell of it, disabling the NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (I'm not even 100 percent sure what it does, something for HDMI?)

So far, not so good. The problem does not occur when I use headphones, leading me to believe it is only a realtek problem.
There are no enhancements in the playback device properties, so nothing that would be equalizing it there.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
101 REPLIES 101

hexaae
Level 12
But in my case is not exactly "random", it happens when the music has deep bass etc... for example Irreplaceable (Beyoncé) causes this fluctuations, but other songs sound good...
I'm still unsure if that's a software safe limiting setting or a real HW problem 😞

EDIT:
I finally decided to open my ASUS GL703GS and have a look to the speakers connectors. So I unplugged them in part and plugged them back again. Nothing changed. As I suspected it is a software issue (Windows 10 VS ASUS/Realtek) in my case.
The strange thing is that for a pair of weeks in october it sounded so good an loud that the chassis was vibrating, maybe a Windows update who knows... sigh...
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae wrote:
But in my case is not exactly "random", it happens when the music has deep bass etc... for example Irreplaceable (Beyoncé) causes this fluctuations, but other songs sound good...
I'm still unsure if that's a software safe limiting setting or a real HW problem 😞

EDIT:
I finally decided to open my ASUS GL703GS and have a look to the speakers connectors. So I unplugged them in part and plugged them back again. Nothing changed. As I suspected it is a software issue (Windows 10 VS ASUS/Realtek) in my case.
The strange thing is that for a pair of weeks in october it sounded so good an loud that the chassis was vibrating, maybe a Windows update who knows... sigh...

Heyy, just wanted to let everyone know that I've finally gotten the problem solved!! after almost 3 years!!! God damn it!!! ;););):cool::cool::cool:

So basically, the Realtek driver version 6.0.9151.1 works perfectly fine!!