cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM built-in speaker volume fluctuating loud/soft

Ashenx
Level 7
Hey everybody.

This laptop is a little over a month old, and I think the problem has existed since I had it. Basically when listening to audio, movies, youtube, etc, the volume will suddenly drop very low only to randomly spike again for a short burst before dropping back down, as if it's being equalized in the absolute worst, random possible way.

Here's what I've tried so far:

-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to the newest version
-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to previous versions (04/18 and 08/18)
-Sound>Communications>adjusting for sound calls to "Do Nothing"
-For the hell of it, attempted to change the sample rate and bit depth
-Also for the hell of it, did not allow applications to take control of this device
-Again, for the hell of it, disabling the NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (I'm not even 100 percent sure what it does, something for HDMI?)

So far, not so good. The problem does not occur when I use headphones, leading me to believe it is only a realtek problem.
There are no enhancements in the playback device properties, so nothing that would be equalizing it there.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
101 REPLIES 101

Fleeties wrote:
Sent my unit for repair here in the UK - I'll endeavour to update this thread with any updates / resolution. My issues are as described in this thread - thanks to everyone contributing with potential fixes. Nothing resolved the fluctuations almost certai. It is a hardware issue

Thank you very much for the info, please keep us updated, so that we know what course of action to take.

katja wrote:
Thank you very much for the info, please keep us updated, so that we know what course of action to take.

So far the company undertaking the repairs have notified me I may need to wait longer because they have to order the parts from ASUS. This would indicate it WAS a hardware issue (likely the right speaker) in my case

Fleeties wrote:
So far the company undertaking the repairs have notified me I may need to wait longer because they have to order the parts from ASUS. This would indicate it WAS a hardware issue (likely the right speaker) in my case

Thank you for the reply. I will be able to send mine to the ASUS repair shop later this month, hopefully they fix my problem too. Hopefully your laptop comes back without any sound issues, let us know if it worked! 🙂

Hey yall... I donno if anyone's still facing the volume fluctuation issue. If so, you'll be glad to know that I'm here to save your day.
Just update your bios and voilÃ*! This long-lasting issue has been fixed thankfully.. It's working perfectly fine for me from past couple of months.
Get the newest bios from here:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/GamingNB/GL504GS/ASUS_GL504GS_311_BIOS_Update.exe

ryannguyen9
Level 7
I just received the laptop from the repair center with the same problem in Australia, they did nothing and suggested me do to a fresh installation of windows 10. I did it, installed all of the drivers from Asus site, disabled windows driver update, and so far it has been 2 days and I have not osbeved the problem.

My unit has returned repaired ! For me it was a faulty right speaker which was replaced. I'll update again should any problems re-occur

I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago and got it back with a fresh new install even though I provided support with a login to test the issues. Laptop was still on the config page so I guess they didn't even check if a reinstall helped, first thing I did was install a game which had a lot of problems with sound and still had the same issue.

Currently using a set of external speakers which doesn't give any issues at all. Noticed that a 309 bios version has just been released for the GL504GM going to try it out this evening. Also read up on other laptops having the same issue and they got it resolved when they reached bios version 310 so we might just need to be patient.

Installed the 309 bios update last week and it seemed to resolve the issue but I got fluctuating sounds again 4 days later when I turned the volume up. The issue doesn't come forward when keeping the volume low, seeing which speakers are actually in the laptop I think they're just bad quality they seem like smartphone speakers when searching up GL504GM spare parts on Google. Since they aren't overly expensive i'll try replacing them (which seems really easy, the connectors and way of attaching them are all easily accesible) but I won't be doing this for another month or two.

Guys.. I've tried everything here with no resolve but, the other day noticed by accident, that when I opened up my laptop to upgrade to 32GB RAM the right hand side speaker was missing one of the orange rubber rings that holds the speaker to the base --- seems its all purpose is to absorb/cushion vibration.

Did some research and found the rubber ring, installed it and seems it has finally WORKED!! so far a couple of days have passed with no issues... Wanted to share asap.. maybe it was a bad batch of notebooks that had that missing piece... who knows... anyway,

I'm super HAPPY! Please share your findings if you have that rubber missing too. Good luck!

lipemon wrote:
Guys.. I've tried everything here with no resolve but, the other day noticed by accident, that when I opened up my laptop to upgrade to 32GB RAM the right hand side speaker was missing one of the orange rubber rings that holds the speaker to the base --- seems its all purpose is to absorb/cushion vibration.

Did some research and found the rubber ring, installed it and seems it has finally WORKED!! so far a couple of days have passed with no issues... Wanted to share asap.. maybe it was a bad batch of notebooks that had that missing piece... who knows... anyway,

I'm super HAPPY! Please share your findings if you have that rubber missing too. Good luck!

Hi! So i've been suffering from the same issue which was pretty much a pain to be honest as i had to RMA the laptop twice. Now i'm using external speakers as a precaution but i need to ask you where did you find the rubber? Is there any way to get it specifically from somewhere? Did it detach and is located internally maybe? Or should i straight up order a new right speaker? By the way i think the vibrations of the internal speakers from the previous two laptops i had caused some rattling to the right fan, never noticed the issue now that i'm using external speakers 🙂