cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM built-in speaker volume fluctuating loud/soft

Ashenx
Level 7
Hey everybody.

This laptop is a little over a month old, and I think the problem has existed since I had it. Basically when listening to audio, movies, youtube, etc, the volume will suddenly drop very low only to randomly spike again for a short burst before dropping back down, as if it's being equalized in the absolute worst, random possible way.

Here's what I've tried so far:

-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to the newest version
-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to previous versions (04/18 and 08/18)
-Sound>Communications>adjusting for sound calls to "Do Nothing"
-For the hell of it, attempted to change the sample rate and bit depth
-Also for the hell of it, did not allow applications to take control of this device
-Again, for the hell of it, disabling the NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (I'm not even 100 percent sure what it does, something for HDMI?)

So far, not so good. The problem does not occur when I use headphones, leading me to believe it is only a realtek problem.
There are no enhancements in the playback device properties, so nothing that would be equalizing it there.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
101 REPLIES 101

Today Asus released new driver update for realtek audio (for GL504GW). Installed and testing. Last try...

Hey Guys, I finally managed to fix it with a help of my friend. It's been couple of days already and everything works perfectly fine. So here is what you have to do.
First install this driver (https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/REALTEK/ASUS-ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-Realtek-Audio-Drive... ) Then, go to Control Panel and turn off auto update (Control Panel -> System-> Advanced system settings -> Hardware -> Device Installation Settings)

I finally found the tip which works for me !! (I have the GL504GS notebook)
I wanted to see if there were sound fluctuation in Linux environment (Ubuntu)... There wasn't. So I launched the command lshw to see Linux's informations about my Audio driver... I got this :
So the functional drivers came from Intel... but Windows told me about Realtek or Nvidia... curious !
So I searched for Intel High Definition Audio and I found this : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/en/download/26329/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-for-Intel-NU...
After downloading, installing and rebooting, the problem was gone : sound works perfectly and the mic too... I hope it will last lifetime !!!!

Tried. Volume fluctuates as usual. Sending for repair next week.

Have the same problem a month ago ,mess with realtek driver and fixed it
Now after window update to window version 1809 17763.437 problem come back
try install many driver version including the one that used to work and the one from asus ,don't work
disable nvidia driver?,NOPE
try setting the volume balance ,fixed for 2-3song then come back
last I uninstall the realtek audio device along with the driver and restart,fixed (the window auto reinstall the device with driver )
but the bass has increase for some reason (in a bad way)

current driver

For those who sent their laptops to the service, did it help? I am struggling with this issue more then two months. I tried everything that I could think of. I am starting to believe that the issue is not in the drivers but in fault hardware. That's why a confirmation that the repair shop did found the cause of the problem and repaired it would be a great help. Can anyone confirm this?

katja wrote:
For those who sent their laptops to the service, did it help? I am struggling with this issue more then two months. I tried everything that I could think of. I am starting to believe that the issue is not in the drivers but in fault hardware. That's why a confirmation that the repair shop did found the cause of the problem and repaired it would be a great help. Can anyone confirm this?

Have same problem, tried all possible drivers to no avail. Was told by ASUS service to send laptop back, i'm using it for work every single day, hard to send back your main work tool.

Joining katja, can anyone confirm that service fixed the issue?

I downloaded and installed Windows 10 1903 from the Microsoft website.
Open windows update and install all updates.
My BIOS was automatically updated to 310 which is not on the Asus website.
Software from asus did not install any.
2 days no volume fluctating problems.
My laptop
ROG GU501

how to fix this?
do i need to send my laptop to the asus for repair?
i can't get rid the sound fluctuation problem

Sent my unit for repair here in the UK - I'll endeavour to update this thread with any updates / resolution. My issues are as described in this thread - thanks to everyone contributing with potential fixes. Nothing resolved the fluctuations almost certai. It is a hardware issue