cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM built-in speaker volume fluctuating loud/soft

Ashenx
Level 7
Hey everybody.

This laptop is a little over a month old, and I think the problem has existed since I had it. Basically when listening to audio, movies, youtube, etc, the volume will suddenly drop very low only to randomly spike again for a short burst before dropping back down, as if it's being equalized in the absolute worst, random possible way.

Here's what I've tried so far:

-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to the newest version
-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to previous versions (04/18 and 08/18)
-Sound>Communications>adjusting for sound calls to "Do Nothing"
-For the hell of it, attempted to change the sample rate and bit depth
-Also for the hell of it, did not allow applications to take control of this device
-Again, for the hell of it, disabling the NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (I'm not even 100 percent sure what it does, something for HDMI?)

So far, not so good. The problem does not occur when I use headphones, leading me to believe it is only a realtek problem.
There are no enhancements in the playback device properties, so nothing that would be equalizing it there.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
101 REPLIES 101

i think i found whats causing the issue. for some reason windows thinks that the device is constantly in a call. it then decides to mute the volume.
turning it off has solved this issue for me. might help

I have a similar issue, in my case the right speaker goes off after sleep (not always, but quite often), I solve this issue by restarting the laptop (sometimes need to restart multiple times as the right speaker is still off), can anyone provide some insight? I'm currently using Realtek Drivers 6.0.1.8639.

I used to have other problems, I would lose sound simply by switching applications, for example going from a youtube video to play csgo. To solve this I would switch the "default format" on "speaker properties" > "advanced" from "24bit 44100Hz" to "24bit48000Hz", this issue seems to have dissipated after some Realtek driver update (can't remember which one because I've already installed several different Realtek drivers).

i am facing that problem from starting the right speaker some time dont play or some time play with low sound after that i went to service center and they fixed it the wire was loose but after that the right speaker sound disorted at full volume so they ordered new speaker after 5 days they changed my speaker at that time the sound was good but its again sound disorted at full volume

and guys one more thing does your left fan which is cpu fan making noise? i mean my cpu temp is aroun 40.c but fan is running at higher speed and making fan noise and also the fan profile is not working the fan speed does not change by choosing silent or balanced

For these who are still having this issue, try the very latest Microsoft version here :

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Realtek%20semiconductor%20media%202019

Nihck5
Level 7
Does it happen if watching a video file through vlc or an audio file stored locally? Or while gaming?
I had an issue where sound would completely stop for some sources, namely games and anything on a browser.. but still work for things like the windows netflix app. A windows reset solved it for me after trying similar troubleshooting steps as you. My issue also occured with headphones tho.

Nihck5 wrote:
Does it happen if watching a video file through vlc or an audio file stored locally? Or while gaming?
I had an issue where sound would completely stop for some sources, namely games and anything on a browser.. but still work for things like the windows netflix app. A windows reset solved it for me after trying similar troubleshooting steps as you. My issue also occured with headphones tho.

Yes, the issue still occurs with local files, including on vlc or wmp. The Netflix app also still caused issues. Games have always caused this issue as well. My headphones do not suffer from any of these issues and are fine with all application.

Again, it seems to be anything and everything will drop my speakers volumes down to negligent, even at full volume, only to peak for a few seconds and then come back down.

Edit: It also might be worth adding that, when casting this to my Roku TV, the problem doesn't happen on my TV (like with plugging in headphones). Just the laptop speakers.

Nihck5
Level 7
that sounds like a hardware problem

The main problem is that it does this totally random, it's hard to replicate and do some tests...

i still have this issue,,, windows reset didn't work to me. already installed the latest driver still didn't resolve this issue. fluctuating sound

vaqar001
Level 7
Iv got the same issue with my ROG GL504GS. Got it a few months back and seriously its a freakin annoying issue. When I reset the PC sound comes back and every thing is ok until I play a video steam it or play a game. So annoying. Have done every thing but no use the problem is still there.