cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL504GM built-in speaker volume fluctuating loud/soft

Ashenx
Level 7
Hey everybody.

This laptop is a little over a month old, and I think the problem has existed since I had it. Basically when listening to audio, movies, youtube, etc, the volume will suddenly drop very low only to randomly spike again for a short burst before dropping back down, as if it's being equalized in the absolute worst, random possible way.

Here's what I've tried so far:

-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to the newest version
-Uninstalling Realtek driver and updating to previous versions (04/18 and 08/18)
-Sound>Communications>adjusting for sound calls to "Do Nothing"
-For the hell of it, attempted to change the sample rate and bit depth
-Also for the hell of it, did not allow applications to take control of this device
-Again, for the hell of it, disabling the NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (I'm not even 100 percent sure what it does, something for HDMI?)

So far, not so good. The problem does not occur when I use headphones, leading me to believe it is only a realtek problem.
There are no enhancements in the playback device properties, so nothing that would be equalizing it there.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
101 REPLIES 101

Hi everyone.

Unfortunately I am also an user experiencing a similar annoying issue on the ASUS GL504GM. Here the details:

- the sound randomly disappears while playing from any kind of sources (chrome tab, windows media player, games);
- sometimes it happens during playing, sometimes it happens just after starting windows;
- I've noticed that it occurs extremely randomly; the only way to get back the sound it's to turn the speakers off and then back on, or activate the windows spatial sounds for headphones (even if no headphones are plugged in).
- The issue doesn't appears during the ROG splashscreen at the very first boot of the PC (I can always hear the sound);
- The driver installed currently is the REALTEK(R)AUDIO; I tried both the version on the ASUS support website but the issue persists; windows update installs the same driver so there's no way to try another driver.

The ASUS customer care suggested a full restoration of the system but I'm quite sure would not solve the issue since 90% (in my opinion) is related to the drivers.

Hope to find a solution with you and get some assistance from other users.

Hey everyone. Just wanted to update saying that I brought this to ASUS support and they're working on it now. I'll post again if they figure anything out, but I'm hoping it's not just a "hey, we can't do anything, send it back."

filcon87 wrote:
Hi everyone.

Unfortunately I am also an user experiencing a similar annoying issue on the ASUS GL504GM. Here the details:

- the sound randomly disappears while playing from any kind of sources (chrome tab, windows media player, games);
- sometimes it happens during playing, sometimes it happens just after starting windows;
- I've noticed that it occurs extremely randomly; the only way to get back the sound it's to turn the speakers off and then back on, or activate the windows spatial sounds for headphones (even if no headphones are plugged in).
- The issue doesn't appears during the ROG splashscreen at the very first boot of the PC (I can always hear the sound);
- The driver installed currently is the REALTEK(R)AUDIO; I tried both the version on the ASUS support website but the issue persists; windows update installs the same driver so there's no way to try another driver.

The ASUS customer care suggested a full restoration of the system but I'm quite sure would not solve the issue since 90% (in my opinion) is related to the drivers.

Hope to find a solution with you and get some assistance from other users.

Hi Ashenx is there any result from Asus Center? My GL504GM is stucking with this issues too, so frustrating:(

vaqar001
Level 7
Well iv just got mine back from Asus today they diagnosed it to be a "driver corrupted" and that they fixed the issue and sent it back to me. I was eager to check it out but as soon as I played any sound on it the S***ty problem came back and im so angry on the whole situation. I did not buy this expensive A*****S laptop to find these frustrating issues and keep on trouble shooting them. I have replied them back that you have fixed S***T and tell me what do do now. Well in any case the issue is not yet fixed. Will be sending mine again to them till they fix the their mess. It seems the problem is something which needs to be look into but not a driver because any driver you install on the crappy laptop the sound fluctuates no matter what. Have to find the solution.

Hi everyone.

Some news about my issue. I tried to use DriverMax to be able to update the soundcard driver and finally got the last update of it.

After a few days it seems to be solved. I suggest to give it a try usign any automatical driver updater software.

filcon87 wrote:
Hi everyone.

Some news about my issue. I tried to use DriverMax to be able to update the soundcard driver and finally got the last update of it.

After a few days it seems to be solved. I suggest to give it a try usign any automatical driver updater software.

Unfortunately this did not solve my issue 😞 Installed and rebooted, but no luck.

Ashenx wrote:
Unfortunately this did not solve my issue 😞 Installed and rebooted, but no luck.

hi, so i've been having audio issues too with my GL504, so i tried googling, until i stumbled into this help page by microsoft.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/sound-randomly-stops-working-o... , look for the reply by Sher Amo.. i did that, and i got the page ( https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=HDAUDIO%5CFUNC_01%26VEN_10EC%26DEV_0294 ) that have the 8564 driver. i installed it, and i will report back if the issue is replicated or cured.

desuzarasu wrote:
hi, so i've been having audio issues too with my GL504, so i tried googling, until i stumbled into this help page by microsoft.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/sound-randomly-stops-working-o... , look for the reply by Sher Amo.. i did that, and i got the page ( https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=HDAUDIO%5CFUNC_01%26VEN_10EC%26DEV_0294 ) that have the 8564 driver. i installed it, and i will report back if the issue is replicated or cured.

Did this work? How do you install the file?

Ashenx wrote:
Did this work? How do you install the file?

i've been using this for a while, without turning off the computer, only sleep, and i'm pretty mobile, so i sleep my computer 5 - 6 times a day, and never have the problem so far.

i just unarchive the content and try to update it through device manager, after that i said i have the driver files, then point to the unarchived file folder.

desuzarasu wrote:
i've been using this for a while, without turning off the computer, only sleep, and i'm pretty mobile, so i sleep my computer 5 - 6 times a day, and never have the problem so far.

i just unarchive the content and try to update it through device manager, after that i said i have the driver files, then point to the unarchived file folder.

I guess my real question is how do you work with .cab files? My device manager isn't registering that the file is a driver update. How do you archive/unarchive?