GL504GM - ES040T

Bios version: 307

CPU: i7-8700HQ

Memory amount in GB: 16

GPU: nVidia GTX 1060 6GB

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: 128GB ssd / 1TB hybrid

AC Adapter: original ASUS adapter

Operating system: Win 10 64-bit

Original ASUS factory image or clean install? Original factory Win10, full updated

Microsoft Activated yes/no? YES

Drivers Installed (include version and especially any non-ASUS approved notebook drivers): Original ASUS drivers

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: No

System Overclocked (provide details)? No

Any hardware upgraded? No, all factory original hardware

My laptop's audio stops randomly with no prompt whatsoever: on boot, on Chrome, on MPC-HC, Netflix app, games after being closed. It reappears, it disappear again without opening any program.
The only solution I have found is to wake the speakers up by going to Speakers properties or moving the sound level on volume mixer with the mouse.

I have tried to disinstall sonic studio, sonic radar, to update the BIOS, to search real Realtek drivers but with no luck (on the official site there is a "fishy" one? With a .txt to how install it but nothing really happens?). Also reset Windows to factory, updated it with no game installed, and it also happens.
How is it even possible?
78434 (after Win reset, nVidia WDM does not have this downward arrow on top)
78435 (this message appeared after the Win reset, without asking any installation/update authorization)

Now I read about a lot of people having TONS of performance problems while playing games. This machine should be able to do it without this kind of issues.
I had to move out from my country for work, so I could not take my desktop with me.
I am seriously thinking about asking a RMA and buy parts for a new desktop PC. With the same price range I will surely build a better desktop than this soup of issues.
17 REPLIES 17

I solved the problem last night after agest of trying different solutions. What i did was uninstalling any audio drivers and manually downloading form the realtek site. Unfortunately i cant remember exactly which one i downloaded. try different ones, i did the same and in the end it worked!

good luck!

Do you guys still get some notification about Audio Driver updates? Sometime when I turn it on, usually when the pc battery signs 40% and after login it shuts down as if it was totally low battery, a notification appears in the middle of the screen asking to reboot for driver to take effect.

The sound issue disappeared some time ago and this "install" doesn't make the issue reappear. I just wondering why it is showing up.

dan_himura wrote:
Do you guys still get some notification about Audio Driver updates? Sometime when I turn it on, usually when the pc battery signs 40% and after login it shuts down as if it was totally low battery, a notification appears in the middle of the screen asking to reboot for driver to take effect.

The sound issue disappeared some time ago and this "install" doesn't make the issue reappear. I just wondering why it is showing up.

usually happens whenever sonic studio or radar are updated by the microsoft store. no issues here

I've been having this issue and following this thread since late January, not a good start for my brand-new and first Asus ROG (GL504GM)

I always check their drivers page for some news and I found a "new" version Version 6.0.1.8219 posted on 2019/03/07 for GL504GM and GL504GS models.
Unfortunately for me, gave no low pitch sounds.
So I decided to kill a bug with a cannon and I did a recovery F9 and i'm now with a frEsh installation of win10 with the pre-installed Asus software and only a couple of games, and of course, the random audio disappear issue.

Is this "new" driver working for you ?
It is worth to give a try to GL504GV''s driver (V6.0.1.8564) ?

Hi,
Well, here I am, with the same issue. The sound is lowering and getting higher on random moments and sometimes just disappears and comes back. Any ideas? Have the latest Realtek drivers from ASUS site.

It's been over an year and asus don't give a damn about the problem. There is no solution, nothing. They just don't care!!! So, $1800 for laptop with no speakers!

One week ago I sent my GL504GM to reparation because the left fan made a vibrating noise and the speakers vibrate also when setting the sound to 50 or more volume.

Now the speakers dont vibrate but I have the same problem..fluctuating volume on speakers...
I think it has to do with some rubber bands inside the laptop. I bet the IT german guy repairing the laptop had something to do with it.

PD. also my fan was not repaired. Asus really needs to improve its customer service in germany.

Making a observation in my sound problem, when i disable one of the both speakers the sound work fine...

Guys we need a answer from ASUS support... ROG must be a excelence