cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL503VS-DH74 touchpad issue

roadkill_dm
Level 7
I've had my new GL503VS-DH74 Scar Edition for over a month now and am loving it except for one very frustrating issue.

Immediately after unboxing, I performed a clean install of Windows 10 and reinstalled all the latest drivers/utilities directly from Asus's support page. Not long afterwards, I started noticing the trackpad would randomly stop responding for a second or two at a time. I can do a basic tracking motion with my finger on the touchpad and the cursor will suddenly stop moving on the screen. Similarly, I can be scrolling with two fingers and the page will just stop scrolling to my motion.

Occasionally, the cursor will follow a weird circular path at a strangely fast speed when I'm just trying to move in a linear direction.

Each time any of this happens, the trackpad will go back to working normally after a few seconds. Of course, using a USB mouse is fine.

At first I thought I was "holding it wrong" (as if the trackpad was trying to register a gesture?), but the issue has persisted no matter how I position my finger on the trackpad.

Other things I've tried (without much luck):

• Reinstalling the latest touchpad driver (11.0.25)
  • Installing the previous touchpad driver (11.0.18)
  • Installing the latest touchpad driver for the new GL504VS (11.0.0.23)
  • Uninstalling the ASUS touchpad driver and allowing Windows to use its own version
  • Increasing the "Touchpad sensitivity" to "Most sensitive"
  • Disabling all touchpad gestures
  • Setting the priority of the HID process to "Realtime" via Task Manager
  • Reseating the touchpad ribbon cables (I didn't notice any battery swelling)

I reached out to ASUS customer support and was simply told to RMA the laptop. I would like to rule out any software causes before doing an RMA because 1) I need the laptop for the time being, 2) I've had horrible experiences with RMA's in the past, and 3) given the nature of the issue, I'm not convinced ASUS will be able to tell if the issue is fixed or not since it's so sporadic.

Any ideas? Before I bought the laptop, I remember coming across a 1-star review where someone was having the same issue, but I'm unable to find it now.

Thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16

wolviebub
Level 7
I've been having this problem too for about 10 months, and it's also involved with pretty heavy stuttering during games where it shouldn't happen. I've had it RMAd and they reinstalled the trackpad but still the same story. Let's see what one more time will bring. As it is, it's disappointing that this is happening with a machine boasting a 1060

Hi all together,

did you find a solution for this in the meantime? I have similar problems with my brand new ROG Strix III laptop and didn't find any fix for that.

Greets,
Brad

Hi

I have similar issue with my new ASUS ROG Scar III (G531GU).
does anyone find a resolution for this issue?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

Seems like it's related to the touchpad delay setting that was removed in later Windows 10 versions as mentioned at the Microsoft answers page below.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/touchpad-delay-after-windows-1...

If you don't mind changing your touchpad sensitivity setting to 'most sensitive' from 'medium', it seems like this will automatically change that registry setting to remove the touchpad delay, so you don't even need to edit the registry (and probably why Microsoft removed the touchpad delay setting?).

cl-Albert wrote:
Hi,

Seems like it's related to the touchpad delay setting that was removed in later Windows 10 versions as mentioned at the Microsoft answers page below.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/touchpad-delay-after-windows-1...

If you don't mind changing your touchpad sensitivity setting to 'most sensitive' from 'medium', it seems like this will automatically change that registry setting to remove the touchpad delay, so you don't even need to edit the registry (and probably why Microsoft removed the touchpad delay setting?).

Thank you for your response
This solution didn't solved my issue.

NOT an isolated issue! Five out of five separate ASUS gaming laptops with exactly the same problem (three GL503 models and a GL504GM-WH71). My latest, a GL531GU-WB74, is an upgrade replacement from ASUS, with the others having been returned to retailer. I've tried all logical fixes besides disassembly of the unit. Works fine with an external Bluetooth keyboard/touchpad, so I'm thinking it's a hardware issue. This will be my 5th RMA on an ASUS gaming laptop in eight months, and I fear my luck may soon run out with my unit being damaged or lost during transit. This is a shame (sham) since ASUS products have served me so well in the past. I guess I'm screwed!

QUESTION: How do you fix an ASUS laptop?
ANSWER: Buy a DELL or an HP.

Might sound dumb but when you have issues with your touch pad rub your finger on the palm of your other hand and then try to use the touch pad again. Seems to be a heat touch issue or oil issue from your finger.