cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL503VM Heatsink Screw got stripped

zanecz
Level 7
So in my first time opening my laptop (GL503VM) to replace the thermal paste, I was stopped by just one little screw here in the picture
The odd thing is that I used the same screwdriver to take off all the screws, big and small, and I even took out the exact same screw that was to the left, but this one just got jammed and it got stripped. I tried other heads, put more pressure, but at one point I felt that I was putting too much pressure on the motherboard that I could break it. (I ended up sneaking the thermal paste syringe from the topside of the heat sink and applied it over the old one, as I couldn't get to it and clean it).

Now while my temps are much better than before, I might need to repaste it in the future, or I might run into problems down the line for not cleaning the previous paste. So my main question is, is there a way to unscrew that stripped screw?
3 REPLIES 3

TX2000
Level 8
a small flathead perhaps

xeromist
You can try the rubber band method. Place the rubber band between the driver and the stripped head and press hard. It fills the gap and provides a bit of grip.

If that doesn't work you can use a dab of epoxy to fasten something to the head to try to remove it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Try a JIS screwdriver. If that doesn't work, cut a small slot with a dremel and unscrew it with a flat head screwdriver. Stick some masking tape around the area to protect it from metal dust.

That usually happens when you try to use the wrong size/tip shape screwdriver. That's a JIS screw, not philips.