cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL503GE HDMI Audio Help

squibby171
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I hope I'm posting this in the right subforum, if not feel free to redirect me to the right place. I bought an ROG laptop recently and have been having some weird issues with the audio over HDMI when playing games. Specifically, when I launch games I get one of three results. Either the audio goes through the HDMI to the TV (Samsung) as expected, I get no audio at all, or (and most annoyingly) the audio will only come out of the laptop speakers. I have tried installing the latest drivers for the integrated graphics/Intel Audio and the NVIDIA card as well as using the ones recommended by ASUS but I still get the same results. I have tried the usual fair of things I know of that could be the issue with no success. The games in particular I am running are through Steam (but all of them are so that likely isn't the culprit). I have tried setting the HDMI to the default audio device, disabling the laptop speakers entirely, and specifically changing the audio output of the game once it is running in the Windows audio settings but none of them have worked. I have also tried changing the audio output to PCM (though I may not have done that correctly) and that didn't work. I did run the DXDIAG and there were no issues reported with the drivers. My instinct is to think this is a driver issue but I;ve run through all the combinations I could think of and nothing worked so I'm wondering if there is an hardware issue or some other sneaky problem I just haven't thought of yet. If it was a driver issue I would have imagined there would be more people online with the same issue. If it is hardware then I'm at a loss for what could be going one. Here are the basic specs to the laptop:

ASUS Strix Scar GL503GE
Intel Core i7-8750H
16GB RAM
256GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Integrated Graphics UHD 630
Windows 10 Home

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated since I'm really at the end of my knowledge base and just guessing now with no success. If you need any information from me, just let me know.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
I'm going to try moving you over to the GL subforum. I don't think you're wrong asking for hardware advice but it's more likely someone with a similar laptop will read it.

As for the issue, I think you were on the right track trying to choose PCM. Often no audio is a sign of an incompatible format. The only other way to test would be running HDMI to another device like a home theater receiver that should support all formats. I know that probably isn't an option but perhaps another TV at a friend's house?

Also, if you are fed up and just don't want to deal with it then another solution would be to buy an HDMI audio injector and just always use the internal sound with the 3.5mm jack. I know that's clunky but it would solve the problem.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

davemon50
Level 11
I do the HDMI out through my receiver (hardwired) usually and have issues only once in a while, and that's with certain games only. Usually works fine. However lately I've been going directly to the TV through the W10 Connect feature, which basically works with Miracast enabled devices over Wifi, no cable. It works great over Wifi once enabled and approved through Windows. Sound through the TV if I like, or the computer. The only thing I noticed is a bit of lag when playing intense games (Sniper Elite 4, e.g.). Would the wireless CONNECT feature work for you?
Davemon50

xeromist, thanks. I don't have a home sound system but I do have some other TVs and some standard monitors. I tested the monitor that I have (which has an audio pass through capability without any speakers--it has a headphone jack on it) and I got the same results as the Samsung TV. I also tested it on an older Hiteker TV and the audio for the game that would only put the sound through the laptop speakers did come out through the TV. The one game that didn't have audio through HDMI still did not have audio but at least this is progress/new information.

I'd prefer not to have to do work arounds since I know it should work (I have another laptop that plays the same games and connects to the same devices without any issues) but ultimately if I have to then that's what it will be. I'm also trying to figure out if there is something more fundamental wrong with this specific laptop (i.e should I get it replaced).

davemon50, I'll have to look into that since I'm not familiar with it. I don't know off hand if my TV can support that feature or not but it is something to look into, thanks.

xeromist
I'm inclined to think it's not hardware problem per se. The physical connections work sometimes so the hardware and cable are probably OK. It could be flaky firmware or drivers but generally you're at the mercy of the component manufacturer to patch those. ASUS releases the updates but they are based on code written by the component manufacturer. I suppose if you're in the return window you could try exchanging it to see if it makes a difference.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…