cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VSK coil whine

michty_me
Level 7
Hi all,

Do many gaming laptops come with coil whine included?
I've tested a few and have heard it on quite a few different brands.
With the laptop I have recently purchased, It is noticeable at idle from the centre of the keyboard from a normal sitting position.

It is only noticeable at this distance when the AC adapter is connected. I can hear it if I put my ear about 1cm to the keyboard.

The laptop in question is an Asus GL502VSK i7-7700HQ, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070.

Any cause for concern and just the nature of the beast or should I be looking at asking for a RMA?
5 REPLIES 5

Stpa67
Level 7
I have a GL702VSK and no coilwhine or maybe i can't hear it 😄 but before this one i bought a msi ge73vr and at first i could not believe my own ears then my gf came in and asked if there was anything wrong with the washing machine, the msi was returned the same day. If it bothers you i would return it.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Ive not had any with coil whine through several models. Last one I ought was a G752VY but had no issues with a G751JY either.

Thanks for the responses. I'll maybe email to get it checked by the supplier and see if they will RMA it. I can hear it sitting at a normal position but not when gaming. Just at idle now and again.
My concern is if they do accept an RMA, I get it back worse.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
That's "normal". RMA ain't gonna fix it. They all came out of the factory like this.

Good to know. Other than that, Everything seems good with the laptop. Enjoying having a portable gaming machine.
Edit: The slight whine disappears when I fire up a game or programme by the looks of it.