cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VSK BIOS Versions Mismatched

Wischmaster
Level 7
I have a GL502VSK with the 7th Gen i7-7700HQ Kaby Lake-H CPU ID and I'm having issues trying to find the correct updated BIOS.

According to System Information I'm running: GL502VSK.303, 3/28/2017

However when I go to the Asus website and select which laptop I have there are two options: GL502VS and GL502VS (7th Generation Intel)

In the GL502VS page there is a drop down menu to select which model I have and it lists the GL502VSK as an option and that says the latest BIOS is 302 and dated 6/22/2017.

Now in the GL502VS (7th Generation Intel) page it doesn't have the GL502VSK as an option and it lists the latest BIOS as 303 and dated 6/22/2017.

When I downloaded either version and used WinFlash to attempt to flash, both gave me an error saying the BIOS update I'm attempting is older than what's installed.

How is that the case when the website says they both are about 3 months newer than what's currently installed? This has made me really confused on what I actually should be running as I thought the VSK only came with the 7th Gen CPU.

Any insight?
6 REPLIES 6

FastM
Level 8
The date the BIOS was created and stamped is the not the same date as its "release" on the website.

To check if there is an update to do device manager and find "Firmware>System Firmware" and try doing the update driver (search automaticly...)

other than that I should remind you of that saying "dont fix something that ain't broke". Trying to update the BIOS without being 100% sure of compatibility is a great way to brick your machine.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Wischmaster wrote:
I have a GL502VSK with the 7th Gen i7-7700HQ Kaby Lake-H CPU ID and I'm having issues trying to find the correct updated BIOS.

According to System Information I'm running: GL502VSK.303, 3/28/2017

When I downloaded either version and used WinFlash to attempt to flash, both gave me an error saying the BIOS update I'm attempting is older than what's installed.

How is that the case when the website says they both are about 3 months newer than what's currently installed? This has made me really confused on what I actually should be running as I thought the VSK only came with the 7th Gen CPU.

Any insight?

Hi,

If you didn't already know, you have the GL502VS (7th gen. cpu ) model which we may internally in ASUS call the GL502VSK.

You already have the latest 303 bios version for the GL502VSK, so Winflash doesn't let you flash it again and really should give you the error that the bios you are trying to flash is the same or older than the version you currently have to be more accurate.

As far as I can tell, the date on the ASUS download site just tells you when the file was posted on the website and has nothing to do with the bios build date, etc.

There are ways to flash same or older bios versions if you really wanted to, and if you flashed the 303 bios from the website, you would see the build date and everything else is the same, so there isn't anything different from the 303 bios you are currently running.

Hope this helps.

Wischmaster
Level 7
Thanks cl-Albert.

I was just trying to sort that out as now my VSK is starting to discharge while being plugged in while gaming. I understand the discharge to 90% is normal but I was down into the 60% range last night when I noticed my game started to stutter.

I have an OEM 230w PSU as well.

It used to say "plugged in, charging" when it got down to 88-90% but now it just says "plugged in, discharging." So I was thinking maybe the BIOS needed an update? Not sure. Thought I dodged the discharge issue bullet for a while but it's not looking that way.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi Wischmaster,

Not sure how long the system has been keeping the battery charge above 90% while plugged in, but if it has been working for a while and just recently started suddenly discharging below 90% while plugged in, thought you might consider an RMA if you are still under warranty and everything else checks out especially if the problem occurs when you aren't playing games or doing any heavy loading for the system.
Try to unplug any additional devices that you can just to make sure they aren't causing any issues and if you aren't using the original AC adapter that came with the system, keep an eye on that.

Some of our other notebook models are able to change the battery level while plugged in using software, but the GL502VS/GL502VSK is not able to do this as far as I know, so wondering if there could be some kind of hardware issue with your adapter, battery, and/or motherboard although it isn't that obvious right now.

Otherwise, there are ways to downgrade or re-flash your bios version, but it's always possible your system will be completely dead if the bios flash fails, so would prefer to try other options first.

Feel free to discuss with others of course since it's not very clear to me what is wrong. Thanks.

Wischmaster
Level 7
I bought the laptop used so there is no warranty and I've only had the laptop running for about a month or so. It only occurs during heavy gaming so I'm sure it's normal to a degree, I just figured a 230w adapter would be able to keep things powered. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can figure anything out with it.

ashwinsatra3d
Level 7

please help, i reset the pc and my bios was running 301 version. i downloaded gl502vsk 309 and updated and now my nvme drive(boot device) is not detecting and it was before when bios was not updated. now i cant get the old bios file on the asus rog website as well. please help?