cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VSK (7th gen. Intel CPU) internal keyboard stopped working!

Vertigorg
Level 7
At August, 2017 I have purchased this laptop (ordered from amazon with a warranty of 1 year).

I have had times when I booted my laptop/woke it from sleep and the internal keyboard would stop working (external keyboard did work).
At first I tried debugging the issue by updating the keyboard driver following the live representative suggestions, and it didn't work.
Then I have contacted the local support lab, and described them with the issue. They did not take me seriously and didn't even believe (what a nice feeling).
I have filmed a video demonstrating the problem, and so they accepted to take it in for a check.

This laptop has been to the local tech labs twice.
Each time they took it for a week, just to reinstalled an other image of windows. It never solved the problem as the keyboard would stop working again after some time.

I have complained that this problem may be hardware related, but no one took me seriously, here are some of the ridiculous answers I received:
1) "It is a fault of Microsoft (windows 10)" - oh so all the computers in the world that are running windows cannot use their internal keyboard?

2) "What do you need an internal keyboard for? you can just buy a cheap external one for 10$ and use it" - Is this a joke? I have paid 1700$ for a working laptop not to get this stupid answer.

ASUS support never took the responsibility for a faulty product. Each time they didn't fix the problem and I would just have to wait until it happen again.

Last time I called in for support I spoke with the manager. I told him, the problem might return after my warranty will end and that they didn't solve it.
He extended my warranty for two months, and promised me personally he will take of this laptop if it will happen again.

So now, it has been a year and three months, my warranty has ended and guess what? the keyboard stopped working again, I called them yesterday and they replied: because your warranty has ended you can pay for it to be checked at our labs and we don't promise we will solve your problem.

Well this must be the WORST SUPPORT a company can provide.
I am so much disappointed! how could a big company like ASUS allow their support team to treat their customer so disrespectfully?!
I am seriously stuck with a faulty computer, which can become unusable at any point.

THIS IS SURELY THE LAST TIME I WILL EVER BUY A PRODUCT FROM ASUS, THIS IS THE WORST EXPERIENCE I HAD WITH TECH SUPPORT.

Did anyone here encounter similar problem? Is there a known solution for this?
22 REPLIES 22

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yep, we see these horror stories all the time here and any other forum or review board that support Asus products. Most people don't have problems so Asus seems not interested in making the Tech Support and repair stations any better. If you have everything documented you can try to appeal to a CL you'll recognise them as cl-albert or and other name there job is to to deal with C ustomer L oyalty. Sometimes they can help sometimes not its worth a try. My guess is if anyone read the reviews on Asus Products they would find other choices. But again most people never have any issues with there products. I myself had to send my G75 twice for RMA the fisrt time nothing was done. the second time I enlisted the help of a cl- person and my issues did get fixed and that G75 is still running to this day for my sister in Florida. I purchase an Asus Cell Phone it had issues right off the bat and tech support gave me the dump blank empty eye treatment. fortunately, it was in the return to vendor window and that is exacly what I did send it right back to Amazon. I have been lucky with my G752VY so far the 2-year warranty is up on December 17th. I have one 0n order, a Dell with 3 years next day in-house repair. It should come just about the time the warranty runs out on this one. I don't game so I'm no longer going to waste money on a gaming notebook. It's not just Asus if you look around at all the gaming notebooks they all have issues and issues with tech support and repair stations. Like I said if you have a cl-person for your country contat them and hope for the best.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yep, we see these horror stories all the time here and any other forum or review board that support Asus products. Most people don't have problems so Asus seems not interested in making the Tech Support and repair stations any better. If you have everything documented you can try to appeal to a CL you'll recognise them as cl-albert or and other name there job is to to deal with C ustomer L oyalty. Sometimes they can help sometimes not its worth a try. My guess is if anyone read the reviews on Asus Products they would find other choices. But again most people never have any issues with there products. I myself had to send my G75 twice for RMA the fisrt time nothing was done. the second time I enlisted the help of a cl- person and my issues did get fixed and that G75 is still running to this day for my sister in Florida. I purchase an Asus Cell Phone it had issues right off the bat and tech support gave me the dump blank empty eye treatment. fortunately, it was in the return to vendor window and that is exacly what I did send it right back to Amazon. I have been lucky with my G752VY so far the 2-year warranty is up on December 17th. I have one 0n order, a Dell with 3 years next day in-house repair. It should come just about the time the warranty runs out on this one. I don't game so I'm no longer going to waste money on a gaming notebook. It's not just Asus if you look around at all the gaming notebooks they all have issues and issues with tech support and repair stations. Like I said if you have a cl-person for your country contat them and hope for the best.

Thanks for replying,

Any idea where can I find if there is a CL person?

Vertigorg wrote:
Thanks for replying,

Any idea where can I find if there is a CL person?

Well since you haven't filled out your profile I have no idea what country you are in? You could PM cl-albert and he may be able to find out he is our cl in the forum here in the states. you will have to tell him what country you're in.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Well since you haven't filled out your profile I have no idea what country you are in? You could PM cl-albert and he may be able to find out he is our cl in the forum here in the states. you will have to tell him what country you're in.

Well yeah I didn't tell you my country so you couldn't know that:) I asked a bit more generally what could you is the procedure or the steps you took to contact the customer loyalty guy in your country

Anyway I am still a bit skeptical about it and would like to hear if anyone here had similar issue with their keyboard?

The original GL502VS and BIOS 2.00 had keyboard problems, BIOS 2.01was developed to fix that.

You have the GL502VSK (GL502VS with 7th Gen CPU), it originally had BIOS 3.00 and the keyboard problems were supposed to have been corrected.

Please be careful not to mix drivers for GL502VS and GL502VSK, doing so will likely cause problems. Use your eSupport Folder ASUS Installation Wizard to install the correct drivers and programs.

Note: You should correctly identify your laptop as the GL502VSK model in all your correspondence.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
The original GL502VS and BIOS 2.00 had keyboard problems, BIOS 2.01was developed to fix that.

You have the GL502VSK (GL502VS with 7th Gen CPU), it originally had BIOS 3.00 and the keyboard problems were supposed to have been corrected.

Please be careful not to mix drivers for GL502VS and GL502VSK, doing so will likely cause problems. Use your eSupport Folder ASUS Installation Wizard to install the correct drivers and programs.

Note: You should correctly identify your laptop as the GL502VSK model in all your correspondence.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I did not make a confusion, the sticker on the laptop labels it at gl502vs-ds71 and it is a 7th gen intel model.
perhaps the naming convention has been changed since I purchased this laptop?

This was also the name the laptop has been advertised on amazon.

Also you can find it's product page:
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-GL502VS-7th-Gen-Intel-Core/

That is actually very interesting what you suggested, can you provide any source just for interest I would like to read it?

No suggestions:

Run "dxdiag" and confirm your System Model and BIOS.
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
No suggestions:

jdfrench3 wrote:
No suggestions:

Hi! thanks for the useful information! Amazon labels the model as GL502VS-DS71, thats also what is written on the sticker at the back of my laptop. It is indeed gl502vsk as the processor is from the kabylake family.

Running dxdiag actually confirms this and also provided me with the information that the BIOS version installed is GL502VSK.204

This is what the laptop had come with, perhaps this is the source of the problem as the current up-to-date version is 308?

Was this laptop ever returned to an ASUS repair center using a RMA? Or did you just have a local computer repair shop mess with it?

Yes I would guess you have the wrong BIOS installed. (Why I asked if an ASUS RMA was involved.)

Yes you should update the BIOS to latest listed for the GL502VSK.

If after you get the BIOS installed, I would save a copy of your eSupport Folder, reinstall Windows 10, reinstall the eSupport Folder, use the ASUS Installation Wizard to install all the drivers and software from the eSupport Folder, then update Windows to the latest version, then finally go to the ASUS Support Website and update the drivers and software for the GL502VSK.

Don't skip the eSupport Folder and ASUS Installation Wizard procedure. There is software that needs to be installed to properly identify your CPU, GPU, and supporting Chipset.

If after this, your keyboard is still not functioning properly, then you have a hardware failure, most likely the keybord itself.
Homebuilt Windows Server