cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS how can I get the latest drivers (GPU, CPU, etc)?

m_eshi
Level 7
Hi all. I have a GL502VSK laptop(kaby lake version). The latest Nvidia Graphics Driver on Asus support page is from 2017 so I'm curious to know if it's possible to get the latest version directly from Nvidia.

I've been searching a lot on this issue recently, Some people have suggested using DDU to uninstall the current driver and then installing the new version from Nvidia, but Some people seem to have ran into problems using this method (with g-sync, freezes, etc...)

So is there any way to use the latest drivers or are we stuck with the dated ones on Asus support?

Also what about Audio, CPU and other drivers? is it possible/should I get the latest ones for them as well?

Any help is appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

TX2000 wrote:
for this type of laptops you have to download the DCH Nvidia drivers. I was pulling my hair out because it dint worked and that was the problem.

Weird. I always use the standard drivers with no issue.

TX2000 wrote:
for this type of laptops you have to download the DCH Nvidia drivers. I was pulling my hair out because it dint worked and that was the problem.

This is the file name of the driver I downloaded from nVidia: 419.67-notebook-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe
So even though it was DCH it didn't work, I don't know why! the thing that worked for me was installing geforce experience and having it to automatically download the driver for me!

TX2000 wrote:

Please provide an explanation when posting fixes like this, it would greatly help others to ensure they are downloading the correct drivers for their systems 🙂
I am curious, though.. Where did you get that info from? And.. What exactly are the DCH drivers?
Also, is it just a personal preference? Or possibly something we should be aware of? (As to why you prefer going this route, rather than using Nvidia GeForce Experience)?
Lastly, what model is your laptop?
Thx! 🙂

Vark626 wrote:
Please provide an explanation when posting fixes like this, it would greatly help others to ensure they are downloading the correct drivers for their systems 🙂
I am curious, though.. Where did you get that info from? And.. What exactly are the DCH drivers?
Also, is it just a personal preference? Or possibly something we should be aware of? (As to why you prefer going this route, rather than using Nvidia GeForce Experience)?
Thx! 🙂

Hi,

DCH Drivers : NVIDIA Control Panel from MS Store (UWP) : https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9nf8h0h7wmlt
Standard Drivers : NVIDIA Control Panel Legacy (Win32)

DCH Drivers cannot be installed over a Standard Drivers, and Standard Drivers cannot be installed over a DCH Drivers. The choice must be made after a cleaning via DDU.

/!\ DCH Drivers are only for Windows 10 64 bit 1803/RS4/17134.x or more recent /!\

To check which display driver type you need, right-click over the Windows desktop -> select NVIDIA Control Panel -> click on the System Information link on the bottom left hand corner of the NVIDIA Control Panel -> look at text that follows “Driver Type”. You should see one of the following :

• DCH
• Standard

Note: If you want to download your drivers directly from GeForce Experience, it will automatically select and download the type of drivers needed.

m.eshi wrote:
So after doing a clean windows 10 install I'm here to share my experience with the drivers:

Firstly I downloaded the nVidia graphics driver for laptop 1070 directly from nVidia but oddly enough it gave me a no compatible hardware error!
So then I downloaded geforce experience from nVidia and let it automatically download driver and this time it worked, it now has driver version 419.67.

As for the rest of the drivers I used the eSupport folder(which I backed up before installing windows) to find out which drivers are needed, then I got the latest version of those drivers from the ivanrf.com website which jdfrench3 recommended above.
For the most part they installed correctly. without compatibility issues with a couple of exceptions:
- the latest version of realtek audio driver was not compatible. Although, there was a previous version on ivanrf (Realtek Audio 6.0.1.8485) and that one worked.
- Sonic Studio 3 and Sonic Radar 3 were not compatible either, so I got Sonic Suite 2.4.13 from ivanrf(which contains Sonic Suite 2 and Sonic Radar 2) and this one worked.
Other than that everything seems to be fine, even Gaming Center 2.5.10 is running well.

** on a side note I'm not planning on using Sonic Radar, cuz I've seen a couple of people saying they got banned for it. plus, it doesn't seem to be that helpful anyway.

Just like I said, using everything from the Asus support website (or e support folder) would have worked on the first try and saved you the trouble. Latest drivers and apps aren't always the best, unless you're having very specific issues. Only driver worth updating frequently is the gpu driver. Updating an audio driver is not gonna give you better performance or compatibility. This isn't 1996 anymore lol

m.eshi wrote:
So after doing a clean windows 10 install I'm here to share my experience with the drivers:

Firstly I downloaded the nVidia graphics driver for laptop 1070 directly from nVidia but oddly enough it gave me a no compatible hardware error!
So then I downloaded geforce experience from nVidia and let it automatically download driver and this time it worked, it now has driver version 419.67.

As for the rest of the drivers I used the eSupport folder(which I backed up before installing windows) to find out which drivers are needed, then I got the latest version of those drivers from the ivanrf.com website which jdfrench3 recommended above.
For the most part they installed correctly. without compatibility issues with a couple of exceptions:
- the latest version of realtek audio driver was not compatible. Although, there was a previous version on ivanrf (Realtek Audio 6.0.1.8485) and that one worked.
- Sonic Studio 3 and Sonic Radar 3 were not compatible either, so I got Sonic Suite 2.4.13 from ivanrf(which contains Sonic Suite 2 and Sonic Radar 2) and this one worked.
Other than that everything seems to be fine, even Gaming Center 2.5.10 is running well.

** on a side note I'm not planning on using Sonic Radar, cuz I've seen a couple of people saying they got banned for it. plus, it doesn't seem to be that helpful anyway.

Good Job!
I keep a copy of my eSupport Folder as well After a fresh W10 installation, I always try to get my Device Manager clear of any problems Installation of the drivers and programs from the eSupport Folder is a very good start. I then allow Windows to update everything. Once that's done I then install the new ASUS drivers and programs (Ivan RF) one at a time.

Realtek Audio: That's a tough one. As I've said before, I too have had problems (some versions of Realtek drivers are simply not complete and/or not compatable. You did good to find another that works. Often, even deleting the nonfunctioning driver is a Pain! My answer was to simply delete the folder the driver is in. Then you are able to install a better driver.

Sonic Suite: I ran through this one as well (couldn't get version 3 to install). Here's what you do. Using Control Panel/Programs and Features, delete ASUS Sonic Studio 2 and ASUS Sonic Radar 2. Reboot your laptop, let the system recover normally. Reinstall ASUS Sonic 2 from the eSupport Folder, reboot and then install ASUS Sonic Suite 3 from Ivan RF. Sonic Suite 3 should now install. Repeat this same procedure with ASUS Sonic Radar, it too should now install.

Good Luck!
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Good Job!
I keep a copy of my eSupport Folder as well After a fresh W10 installation, I always try to get my Device Manager clear of any problems Installation of the drivers and programs from the eSupport Folder is a very good start. I then allow Windows to update everything. Once that's done I then install the new ASUS drivers and programs (Ivan RF) one at a time.

Realtek Audio: That's a tough one. As I've said before, I too have had problems (some versions of Realtek drivers are simply not complete and/or not compatable. You did good to find another that works. Often, even deleting the nonfunctioning driver is a Pain! My answer was to simply delete the folder the driver is in. Then you are able to install a better driver.

Sonic Suite: I ran through this one as well (couldn't get version 3 to install). Here's what you do. Using Control Panel/Programs and Features, delete ASUS Sonic Studio 2 and ASUS Sonic Radar 2. Reboot your laptop, let the system recover normally. Reinstall ASUS Sonic 2 from the eSupport Folder, reboot and then install ASUS Sonic Suite 3 from Ivan RF. Sonic Suite 3 should now install. Repeat this same procedure with ASUS Sonic Radar, it too should now install.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the instructions, bro. however after updating windows I ran into problems with audio: the sound would go on and off, had weird artifacts and sometimes I had no sound at all! also I had trouble with my touchpad not working.
after some digging I came across this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?108442-Uninstall-SONIC-STUDIO-now!
So I'm guessing it was Sonic Suite interfering that caused the problem.

oddly, uninstalling Game Center fixed the touchpad!
then I tried uninstalling Sonic Suite to no avail and finally decided to do another clean windows install.

This time I only used geforce experience to automatically get the latest graphics driver and installed realtek audio driver and ATK package from my device's support page. Other than that I didn't manually install any drivers or tools and left the rest to windows update.

So far everything seems to be doing fine, I haven't encountered any problem yet. I'm going to stay away from ANY asus software this time (Sonic Suite, Gaming center, etc).

m.eshi wrote:
Thanks for the instructions, bro. however after updating windows I ran into problems with audio: the sound would go on and off, had weird artifacts and sometimes I had no sound at all! also I had trouble with my touchpad not working.
after some digging I came across this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?108442-Uninstall-SONIC-STUDIO-now!
So I'm guessing it was Sonic Suite interfering that caused the problem.

oddly, uninstalling Game Center fixed the touchpad!
then I tried uninstalling Sonic Suite to no avail and finally decided to do another clean windows install.

This time I only used geforce experience to automatically get the latest graphics driver and installed realtek audio driver and ATK package from my device's support page. Other than that I didn't manually install any drivers or tools and left the rest to windows update.

So far everything seems to be doing fine, I haven't encountered any problem yet. I'm going to stay away from ANY asus software this time (Sonic Suite, Gaming center, etc).

Actually Sonic Suite and Gaming Center are not ASUS properties but are leased from their creators and fully supported by ASUS.

I use the Realtek Audio Driver Version V6.0.1.8578 dated 2018/11/20 with ASUS Sonic Suite 3 Version V3.6.24 dated 2018/01/10, ASUS Sonic Studio 3 Version V3.6.42.51937 dated 2018/09/05, ASUS Sonic Radar 3 Version V3.6.42.51937 dated 2018/09/05, ASUS Gaming Center Version V2.5.10 dated 2018/11/08, GameFirst V Version V5.0.20.4 dated 2019/03/05, and ROG Game Visual Version V1.02.0001dated 2017/11/03. They all work GREAT.

I too use Geforce Experience to keep my NVIDA drivers updated.

I also use Intel Driver and Support program to keep track of my Intel drivers.

My ROG G752VS OC Edition (7th Gen Intel Core) should have the same chipset as yours' (if you have the GL502VS with the 7th Gen Intel Core). Most if not all the above listed drivers and programs should function in your laptop. Sorry if that's not the case.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:

My ROG G752VS OC Edition (7th Gen Intel Core) should have the same chipset as yours' (if you have the GL502VS with the 7th Gen Intel Core). Most if not all the above listed drivers and programs should function in your laptop. Sorry if that's not the case.

Yes, mine also has i7-7700HQ, I might try those some day but for now I'm too afraid of the risk!

MoKiChU
Level 40
Vark626 wrote:
Thx! 🙂

Hi,

Overall :

Standard (NVIDIA) = Legacy (Microsoft & Intel) = HDA (Realtek)

HDA = High Definition Audio

DCH (NVIDIA & Intel now) = DCHU (Microsoft) = UWD (Microsoft & Intel before) = UAD (Realtek)

DCH/DCHU = Declarative Componentized Hardware Support Apps Universal API compliance
UWD = Universal Windows Driver
UAD = Universal Audio Driver

Standard drivers use Win32/Legacy apps
DCH drivers use UWP apps downloaded from Microsoft Store

UWP = Universal Windows Platform

/!\ DCH Drivers are only for Windows 10 64 bit 1709/RS3/16299.x or more recent /!\

NVIDIA :

DCH Drivers : NVIDIA Control Panel from MS Store (UWP) : https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9nf8h0h7wmlt
Standard Drivers : NVIDIA Control Panel Legacy (Win32)

DCH Drivers cannot be installed over a Standard Drivers, and Standard Drivers cannot be installed over a DCH Drivers. The choice must be made after a cleaning via DDU.

/!\ NVIDIA DCH Drivers are only for Windows 10 64 bit 1803/RS4/17134.x or more recent /!\

To check which display driver type you need, right-click over the Windows desktop -> select NVIDIA Control Panel -> click on the System Information link on the bottom left hand corner of the NVIDIA Control Panel -> look at text that follows “Driver Type”. You should see one of the following :

• DCH
• Standard

Note: If you want to download your drivers directly from GeForce Experience, it will automatically select and download the type of drivers needed.