cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS how can I get the latest drivers (GPU, CPU, etc)?

m_eshi
Level 7
Hi all. I have a GL502VSK laptop(kaby lake version). The latest Nvidia Graphics Driver on Asus support page is from 2017 so I'm curious to know if it's possible to get the latest version directly from Nvidia.

I've been searching a lot on this issue recently, Some people have suggested using DDU to uninstall the current driver and then installing the new version from Nvidia, but Some people seem to have ran into problems using this method (with g-sync, freezes, etc...)

So is there any way to use the latest drivers or are we stuck with the dated ones on Asus support?

Also what about Audio, CPU and other drivers? is it possible/should I get the latest ones for them as well?

Any help is appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

jdfrench3
Level 12
I use Ivan RF to keep my laptop drivers and programs up to date. Doing this requires you know what is on your laptop, so you can update.

https://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
I use Ivan RF to keep my laptop drivers and programs up to date. Doing this requires you know what is on your laptop, so you can update.

https://ivanrf.com/en/latest-asus-drivers-for-windows-10/

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply, this seems to be quite useful.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Go to the Nvidia website and download the latest one from there. Easy. You don't have to use DDU, but if you choose to, it's not gonna hurt either.
As for the other devices like audio, ethernet, wifi, BT, etc., the ones from the Asus website should work just fine. Update only if you're having some very specific issue.

Avoid 3rd party websites. Some newer software might not work correctly on you laptop (502VS). Good example is the ROG Gaming Center. If you install any newer version than the one listed on the Asus support website, it will not give you proper readings and you'll notice some missing functions. Same goes for the Sonic Studio app. Newer versions will not even run on the 502vs.

The Ivan RF website uses ASUS sources for their drivers and programs. Look at the download links that are generated. Call it a third-party site if you want but Ivan RF is using ASUS downloads from many laptop models.

Personally my G752VSK is updated with many drivers and programs from the G703 models. I run version 2.5.10 ROG Gaming Center on my laptop that came with version 2.1.5. I have no issues at all.

You must be careful, apply drivers and/or programs, one at a time. If the newer driver and/or program doesn't work, you must be able to revert back to your original. Personally I only had issues with the Realtek audio drivers from ASUS.

Of all the original drivers and programs that came with my laptop, I have updated all but three from the Ivan RF website.
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
The Ivan RF website uses ASUS sources for their drivers and programs. Look at the download links that are generated. Call it a third-party site if you want but Ivan RF is using ASUS downloads from many laptop models.

Personally my G752VSK is updated with many drivers and programs from the G703 models. I run version 2.5.10 ROG Gaming Center on my laptop that came with version 2.1.5. I have no issues at all.

You must be careful, apply drivers and/or programs, one at a time. If the newer driver and/or program doesn't work, you must be able to revert back to your original. Personally I only had issues with the Realtek audio drivers from ASUS.

Of all the original drivers and programs that came with my laptop, I have updated all but three from the Ivan RF website.

Like I said before, not all versions of the apps/drivers provided by Asus works properly with all Asus laptops. As an example, the latest version of ROG gaming center does NOT work on the GL502VS and the latest version of Sonic Studio simply refuses to run.
It is a third party website. They source stuff from the Asus support website and put in their own, simple as that.

As for the drivers, the "stock" ones should work fine and will make no difference in performance (audio, bt, card reader, ethernet, chipset, etc.), apart from the GPU drivers. Those you can download at the Nvidia or AMD website depending on the model.

We'll I could teach you how to update your drivers and programs using those provided by the Ivan RF site (ASUS), but that would require you to learn something new, which unfortunately is not something you wish to do.

Have a nice life!
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
We'll I could teach you how to update your drivers and programs using those provided by the Ivan RF site (ASUS), but that would require you to learn something new, which unfortunately is not something you wish to do.

Have a nice life!

Why would I need a third party website to download laptop drivers and apps that are available at their official support website? Makes no sense at all, specially when newer software version doesn't always work properly, if at all. The only driver you really need to update is the gpu drivers. As for the others, you only need to upgrade/downgrade if you're having a very specific issue. *

By the way, that site is outdated. Latest nvidia driver is 425.11 which is really important for GL702VS owners.

m_eshi
Level 7
So after doing a clean windows 10 install I'm here to share my experience with the drivers:

Firstly I downloaded the nVidia graphics driver for laptop 1070 directly from nVidia but oddly enough it gave me a no compatible hardware error!
So then I downloaded geforce experience from nVidia and let it automatically download driver and this time it worked, it now has driver version 419.67.

As for the rest of the drivers I used the eSupport folder(which I backed up before installing windows) to find out which drivers are needed, then I got the latest version of those drivers from the ivanrf.com website which jdfrench3 recommended above.
For the most part they installed correctly. without compatibility issues with a couple of exceptions:
- the latest version of realtek audio driver was not compatible. Although, there was a previous version on ivanrf (Realtek Audio 6.0.1.8485) and that one worked.
- Sonic Studio 3 and Sonic Radar 3 were not compatible either, so I got Sonic Suite 2.4.13 from ivanrf(which contains Sonic Suite 2 and Sonic Radar 2) and this one worked.
Other than that everything seems to be fine, even Gaming Center 2.5.10 is running well.

* on a side note I'm not planning on using Sonic Radar, cuz I've seen a couple of people saying they got banned for it. plus, it doesn't seem to be that helpful anyway.

*** UPDATE
After updating windows I ran into problems with audio: the sound would go on and off, had weird artifacts and sometimes I had no sound at all! also I had trouble with my touchpad not working.
after some digging I came across this thread: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...NIC-STUDIO-now!
So I'm guessing it was Sonic Suite interfering that caused the problem.

oddly, uninstalling Game Center fixed the touchpad!
then I tried uninstalling Sonic Suite to no avail and finally decided to do another clean windows install.

This time I only used geforce experience to automatically get the latest graphics driver and installed realtek audio driver and ATK package from my device's support page. Other than that I didn't manually install any drivers or tools and left the rest to windows update.

So far everything seems to be doing fine, I haven't encountered any problem yet. I'm going to stay away from ANY asus software this time (Sonic Suite, Gaming center, etc).

for this type of laptops you have to download the DCH Nvidia drivers. I was pulling my hair out because it dint worked and that was the problem.