cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS CPU fan running at full speed intermittently, no CPU load

msymeonides
Level 8
In the past month or so (maybe since the last bigger windows update) my GL502VS has been acting strangely. I will start the laptop up, log on to Windows, and within a minute or so the fan will start running at full speed, very loudly. I check on HWInfo and it is the CPU fan maxing out. I am not doing anything unusual on the laptop, pretty normal stuff (Firefox, Thunderbird, MS Word). It will stay on full speed for a couple of minutes, and then slow back down. Then after a minute, it will happen again, and it will keep doing that forever basically. I check CPU utilization and it is very very low.

Sometimes what I can do is just completely power down and back up and the issue will go away. But at the next restart it will come back. However, the last time I had to power cycle, the fan was still running at full speed. Didn't get a chance to try another power cycle.

Anyone else experiencing this?
10 REPLIES 10

I have a bold guess, this is caused by static electricity on the main board.

My machine is GL504GM, which has the same problem as yours. After I tried to unplug the battery and fan wiring on the motherboard and plug it in again, the problem disappeared.

And for the next few days, there were no problems. But over a longer period of time, the problem will slowly recur.

My guess is that static electricity from the motherboard caused the control chip to go crazy, so the fan went crazy.

Improper computer design, ungrounded power sockets or defective motherboards can cause static electricity to accumulate on the motherboards.

Similarly, higher temperatures may affect static electricity on the motherboard, so high processor loads may bring the fan back to normal.

Now every once in a while, I unplug the battery and fan cables from the motherboard and plug them back in. The problem can be solved temporarily.

Before, any software or BIOS update that caused the problem to disappear may have been done by them just as the fan problem disappeared, so they mistakenly thought that their operation caused the fan repair.

Above is my guess and method, at least this method is useful in my GL504GM, I hope it can help you.