cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS CPU fan running at full speed intermittently, no CPU load

msymeonides
Level 8
In the past month or so (maybe since the last bigger windows update) my GL502VS has been acting strangely. I will start the laptop up, log on to Windows, and within a minute or so the fan will start running at full speed, very loudly. I check on HWInfo and it is the CPU fan maxing out. I am not doing anything unusual on the laptop, pretty normal stuff (Firefox, Thunderbird, MS Word). It will stay on full speed for a couple of minutes, and then slow back down. Then after a minute, it will happen again, and it will keep doing that forever basically. I check CPU utilization and it is very very low.

Sometimes what I can do is just completely power down and back up and the issue will go away. But at the next restart it will come back. However, the last time I had to power cycle, the fan was still running at full speed. Didn't get a chance to try another power cycle.

Anyone else experiencing this?
10 REPLIES 10

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Only one or both fans?

Not sure, which one is the other fan? How does it show up on HWinfo or other sensor reporter app?

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Hwinfo only shows one rpm reading. There is one fan on each side on the back of the laptop. Looking from the front, the left one is the CPU cooler and the right one is for the GPU.*

It is just the CPU fan. I did figure out that when I enable Fast Boot, the problem is there every time, power cycling does not fix it. So it is related to Fast Boot (just like the problems with updating Win10 were also related to that).

They seriously need to release an updated BIOS. This laptop is not that old. It shouldn't be experiencing so many issues that are easily fixable.

toske
Level 8
Same problem here. GL702VM. Fans just go crazy at random. All happened after the Windows creators update.

Update (and fix) here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106535-ASUS-ROG-gl702vm-Fans-always-max-speed-even-when-ID...

(basically, it's most likely an NVIDIA driver issue)

bump because my $1600 laptop is behaving like a dumb little child

fix this ASUS

I hate to necro a thread but... I found a fix.

CPU fan (left fan) was running at max, even in BIOS and Safe Mode.

I updated the BIOS and all software, including Win10 with no luck.

Got rid of Armoury Crate & Service.

Installed GPUTweak II - https://www.asus.com/us/site/graphic.../gpu-tweak-ii/

The fan is now quiet, around 5500 rpm even in the BIOS. Drops to near silent / silent when under low load.

Of note- the GPU fan disappeared from Armoury Crate after the BIOS update and is still no longer listed if reinstalled.

Vyxxi wrote:
I hate to necro a thread but... I found a fix.

CPU fan (left fan) was running at max, even in BIOS and Safe Mode.

I updated the BIOS and all software, including Win10 with no luck.

Got rid of Armoury Crate & Service.

Installed GPUTweak II - https://www.asus.com/us/site/graphic.../gpu-tweak-ii/

The fan is now quiet, around 5500 rpm even in the BIOS. Drops to near silent / silent when under low load.

Of note- the GPU fan disappeared from Armoury Crate after the BIOS update and is still no longer listed if reinstalled.

I tried this, did not fix the issue. Can you confirm that it is working for you across multiple full power cycles? Any other details you can provide?

I didn't have Armoury Crate installed at all, I did use to have ROG Gaming Center but uninstalled it a long time ago. I think that has now been replaced by Armoury Crate? Not sure.