cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS Cooling Improvement Solution!? **UPDATE**

cdrshm
Level 7
EDIT: 4.2.2017 - So i did a more permanent fix using the tape used for heat ducts, its sticky and holds its shape. this work truly works. I even put tape on the bottom of the heat sink. I play Crysis 2 max settings around 78 degrees C. The house is about 73 degrees F. If anyone has any recommendations on a game to test the temp's let me know! (Idle Temps)

So i have the GL502VS with the 1070 and as many others on here experience some hot temperatures. I know one solution is to under-volt, which does help.

So I decided to turn my laptop over take the bottom off and turn it on and check out how everything is working, of course with that alone the temperatures were lower, so i put on a bench mark to really get the fans spinning.. and using very technical/sophisticated equipment i tested the air flow and temperature of the air. OK i didn't have any sophisticated equipment, i just put my face lips in font of the heat sinks to feel the air. I could feel the hot air, and quite a bit of "cooler" air.

So if you look close you see fairly large gaps (Click for Gaps!) between the fan and the heat sink, and i "think" air also follows the path of least restriction. So not thought the fins, but out the large gaps. All that i had laying around was electrical tape, so i did my best to cover the gaps (Gaps-be-Gone) to push more air thought he fins and hopefully more heat will be pushed out. Now from the quick tests it does "seem" to run cooler, i would say a few degrees but i did not have the time to fully test. I also don't know what its like on the other side of the heat sink fan, i may need to seal that up. I just didn't have the time tonight to address it.

I also need to get something more suited than electrical tape, maybe a high heat tape or something? (Ideas?)

So if anyone is interested in trying to see if they notice a difference i would be very curious to hear the results, or some true benchmarks.

Thanks

Chris
36 REPLIES 36

Kompensan wrote:
Try GTAV or Battlefield 1.

Both really push Temps upwards

Will give both those a try!

ColinMacLaren wrote:
I am using an OPOLAR LC06D2. I hooked it up to the right outtake. It lowers temperature of both CPU and GPU by 12-15 °C. Temps are down from 85 to around 70°C while playing demanding games that push a lot of frames like Overwatch or Doom.

How are the sound levels? I would assume no louder than the fans at full power.

Ymzuki
Level 7
cdrshm wrote:
EDIT: 4.2.2017 - So i did a more permanent fix using the tape used for heat ducts, its sticky and holds its shape. this work truly works. I even put tape on the bottom of the heat sink. I play Crysis 2 max settings around 78 degrees C. The house is about 73 degrees F. If anyone has any recommendations on a game to test the temp's let me know! (Idle Temps)

Chris

That's some sexy tape you got there, did you also alter the fan speeds? Try furmark+ prime 95 for 10-15 minutes, monitor the max temps, also watch for the fan speed.

Ymzuki wrote:
That's some sexy tape you got there, did you also alter the fan speeds? Try furmark+ prime 95 for 10-15 minutes, monitor the max temps, also watch for the fan speed.

Haha, thanks! i did not alter the fan speeds... i can give the furmark and prime a shot, i thought i read somewhere that those to apps arn't really a good test as it puts WAY more stress on the cpu and gpu than is necessary.

Has anyone else tried this yet and had good results? With turbo boost turned on? i.e. Performance at 100%

CR7_2011 wrote:
Has anyone else tried this yet and had good results? With turbo boost turned on? i.e. Performance at 100%

With tape and undervolt and fan speeds at 100% , the first few minutes temps seem ok, later on they get higher. and finally after 1 hour of intense stresstest my cpu temp stil hit 90s. I think the fans just can't keep up with all the heat - talking about long periods of 1h+ . When gaming temps are in their mid 80s.

that;s with tubo boost, if disabled i get max temps of high 70s on cpu. but there's performance decrease as well

Ymzuki wrote:
With tape and undervolt and fan speeds at 100% , the first few minutes temps seem ok, later on they get higher. and finally after 1 hour of intense stresstest my cpu temp stil hit 90s. I think the fans just can't keep up with all the heat - talking about long periods of 1h+ . When gaming temps are in their mid 80s.

that;s with tubo boost, if disabled i get max temps of high 70s on cpu. but there's performance decrease as well

I also applied the tape. Without external fan, undervolting and running Heaven benchmark for an hour it settles around 70°C GPU and 80°C on the CPU with short spikes to 83°C. It will probably go a little bit higher in summer? What is a safe temperature for the CPU? I remember the times when you were supposed to not let it hit 60°C.

I applied some foil tape to the gaps on my GL702VM As you suggested, I'll see what the temps are like and report back!

Szlain wrote:
I applied some foil tape to the gaps on my GL702VM As you suggested, I'll see what the temps are like and report back!

This was about 20 mins of Overwatch on ultra.

-0.165mv on cpu
profile 1 in msi afterburner

Hi guys GL702VM owner here. Ambient room temp is around 27c-32c
Idle laptop temps around 38c to 45c
Load temps (max)
76c GTA V. High,
70 to 77c just cause 3 ultra
50 to 60c CS GO
I also have XTU -0.130mv
and Msi afterburner with the settings for 1060 profile 3
Also I would Definitely recommend Installing NoteBook Fan Control -Really helpful
I don't see any lag or throttling even at max temps
I removed the dust tapes below it and changed the refresh rate to 60HZ plus air-conditioned room and a cooler Master SF-17 cooler.
Lastly I placed Foil Tape between the fan and Grills, as the air was not being pushed out completely

here you can see the Gaps

this is the tape I used costs around $25

after sticking the tape.. the third fan is poorly designed , it uses those inserts to Chanel the air out, does anyone have any idea how to inprove the airflow around it. thanks

After Benchmark

Current Temps