cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS BIOS + Samsung EVO 860 Boot Issue

Narkanin
Level 9
What's going on is the newest BIOS update 306 wont boot with the Samsung EVO in place as the secondary drive. Computer boots fine once its taken out. If I roll back to 302 then it will boot with the Samsung in it. The issue is that as soon as the laptop restarts after rolling back to 302, it then self updates to 306 putting me in a position where I cannot really boot with this drive in. Why is it doing this and how do I stop it?
9 REPLIES 9

Matze2k0
Level 7
Narkanin wrote:
What's going on is the newest BIOS update 306 wont boot with the Samsung EVO in place as the secondary drive. Computer boots fine once its taken out. If I roll back to 302 then it will boot with the Samsung in it. The issue is that as soon as the laptop restarts after rolling back to 302, it then self updates to 306 putting me in a position where I cannot really boot with this drive in. Why is it doing this and how do I stop it?

This also applies to other Models. It looks like they've messed up something with the latest Bios for our Devices. I own a GL702VMK and cannot boot from my NVME Drive as soon as a secondary drive is installed. Regular M2 SSD Drives work fine though. Someone mentioned disabling secure boot in Bios might help.

Matze2k0 wrote:
This also applies to other Models. It looks like they've messed up something with the latest Bios for our Devices. I own a GL702VMK and cannot boot from my NVME Drive as soon as a secondary drive is installed. Regular M2 SSD Drives work fine though. Someone mentioned disabling secure boot in Bios might help.

Interesting. I can try that later today. As I also mentioned in the sticky thread about this, I have submitted a ticket with ASUS which they immediately elevated to their techs and said it would be a couple more days before I got a reply so hope to hear something by maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. Ill keep this thread updated if I find out anything. Hopefully they're already working on an update as this issue is not really new.*

Narkanin wrote:
Interesting. I can try that later today. As I also mentioned in the sticky thread about this, I have submitted a ticket with ASUS which they immediately elevated to their techs and said it would be a couple more days before I got a reply so hope to hear something by maybe Tuesday or Wednesday. Ill keep this thread updated if I find out anything. Hopefully they're already working on an update as this issue is not really new.*

Have had the same issue, but not with auto update after reflashing.
So I went back to bios version 302 and everything is working by now.

1. HD: m.2 Samsung 970
2. HD: Samsung Evo 860 (caused the problem, stuck in Asus logo after Bios update)

-> removed the 860, then reflashed 302, then installed the 2nd HD back

Let me know when the problem is fixed
Is the Bios Update coming from Windows Update automatically?

schilli wrote:
Have had the same issue, but not with auto update after reflashing.
So I went back to bios version 302 and everything is working by now.

1. HD: m.2 Samsung 970
2. HD: Samsung Evo 860 (caused the problem, stuck in Asus logo after Bios update)

-> removed the 860, then reflashed 302, then installed the 2nd HD back

Let me know when the problem is fixed
Is the Bios Update coming from Windows Update automatically?

I was only getting the BIOS auto updating after installing Windows 1903? Did you not have this issue? One time I tried I started it up ok after flash back and then the second time I restarted it did an auto flash. The time I tried to flash back after that it just auto installed immediately on the first startup. I gave up after that, was getting to be a pain taking the hard drive in and out. Really hoping to hear from ASUS.*

Narkanin wrote:

I am quite interested in their reply. According to a post in the Sticky, Asus said that Samsung SSDs are not supported even though the issue is present with other drives too. I myself am using a Intel NVME but My GL702VMK will eventually boot after trying power on up to 8 times.... I have to do this each time i want to start my Notebook.

Matze2k0 wrote:
I am quite interested in their reply. According to a post in the Sticky, Asus said that Samsung SSDs are not supported even though the issue is present with other drives too. I myself am using a Intel NVME but My GL702VMK will eventually boot after trying power on up to 8 times.... I have to do this each time i want to start my Notebook.

That sounds like some bs. Samsung has been a major HD manufacturer for a long time and Ive never had any issues. Still waiting for a reply.

Where is the post that says they dont support Samsung?

Also now the Windows update is no longer present in my queue.

Matze2k0 wrote:

ASUS basically said theres no information on when an updated BIOS might be available. This is pretty unacceptable seeing as Windows is pushing the update.

Narkanin wrote:
ASUS basically said theres no information on when an updated BIOS might be available. This is pretty unacceptable seeing as Windows is pushing the update.

well, that was to be expected. I won't buy any of their products ever again. I was a fan since i can remember but i think i will move to dell or msi with my next purchase.

Hey

I'm facing a similar problem. My HGST Mechanical HDD gave up and I bought a new SSD to replace it. I got the data recovered from the failed HDD into the SSD and then installed it into the laptop. But the laptop doesn't go past the ROG Logo and I have no access to BIOS. I have to remove the SSD to get it working as expected.

Did you manage to solve your problem? If so how? Also if you used BIOS 302 could you share the file with me as I can't seem to find it anywhere.