cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VS Battery drain when gaming (on AC power)

SeaSpray
Level 7
Hi,

I picked up an Asus GL502VS a few days ago and I'm very impressed with the overall system.

One thing that does bother me is the slow battery draw (even on AC power) when the system is used for VR and heavy gaming. With the power adapter plugged in, I'm noticing around 10% battery drain per hour of gameplay.

Is this normal? I would have preferred the power adapter to supply enough power that it wouldn't need to draw the battery down.

SeaSpray
35 REPLIES 35

I called ASUS support, and I was told to carry the laptop to the service center for assessment before a decision can be made. Of course, no one will admit a design flaw and launch a recall. I am so disappointed with ASUS and I regret buying it.

I am currently returning the laptop for a refund.

buth11 wrote:
It is not fair that GL502VS with i7-6700HQ have power brick 180W what is insufficient because the same laptop with i7-7700HQ which suppose to be more power efficient have 230W power brick, in my opinion that is admission of mistake by Asus.

Amazing. MSI tried to pull this stunt with "NOS" , where it would drain the battery because they used a 180w AC adapter on a 980m GT72 or whatever laptop.
Alienware doesn't borrow battery power AFAIK but would throttle with the 180w adapter and they soon offered a free ~240w replacement.
Now Asus.

What is wrong with laptop manufactures. MSI and Alienware didn't get away with it, why did Asus think they could?
Some people use their gaming laptops for work that uses the CPU cores and GPU cores for days at a time at full load.

Curious if the 180w 6700HQ 1070 Asus laptops can have that corrected with a firmware update possibly to overdraw from the adapter/accept a ~240w one? Or maybe just throttle, which really doesn't help things.

danwat1234 wrote:
Amazing. MSI tried to pull this stunt with "NOS" , where it would drain the battery because they used a 180w AC adapter on a 980m GT72 or whatever laptop.
Alienware doesn't borrow battery power AFAIK but would throttle with the 180w adapter and they soon offered a free ~240w replacement.
Now Asus.

What is wrong with laptop manufactures. MSI and Alienware didn't get away with it, why did Asus think they could?
Some people use their gaming laptops for work that uses the CPU cores and GPU cores for days at a time at full load.

Curious if the 180w 6700HQ 1070 Asus laptops can have that corrected with a firmware update possibly to overdraw from the adapter/accept a ~240w one? Or maybe just throttle, which really doesn't help things.

I have the asus G752VS OC edition with the 1070 GPU and I suffer the same thing. However, I already use the 240W power supply. The dell/alienware chargers are the same as the asus larger models(G750/G751/G752). Because It still drains even with a 240W adapter, would it do any damage if I tried a 330W adapter?? I dont want to fry it as much as possible and am aware that the 240/s are safe. I think the stock that came with my system was a 230w(Its still in the box, been using for 5 months but used my old charger)

So I'll start saying that I have the version GL502VSK with 7th gen processor and same specs, but it comes with the 230w adapter! It isn't indeed immune to this problem and just some days ago I've started reading this post and many others. According to an article I've found, an investigation is undergoing by those guys here, sorry for "guys" but I dunno how to name them at the moment. They're even proposing a class action due to all these facts.

http://www.classlawdc.com/2017/08/30/asus-gl502vs-gaming-laptop-battery-drain-defect-investigation/

In addition to this, I've found many interesting datas from my own test, where I saw when playing at 60fps or less, actually the battery level waas increasing, strange. After tons of other test I've finally arrived to the solution and crearly say that probably in the production, design, project, they didn't calculate the power drain of the monitor with G-SYNC active and at 120Hz. With the help of another detailed post, this is explained with a well illustrated graph, that how much this guy could test with the different hz level of his desktop monitor, monitoring an increasing from 78w to 200W with the full 155HZ. This is not the case ye because it's only 120Hz, but after many sessions, I've set my monitor to 60Hz, and the result was clearly different, with the battery levels going up again. Even disabling the vsync and let the NB go to more than 200fps, for this example I was using H1Z1, the result was always an increase in battery level. When switching again to 120hz, it went down again.

Here the tests of Desktop monitor I've mentioned: https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Testing-GPU-Power-Draw-Increased-Refresh-Rates-using-ASUS-...

I was so confused before those tests, because I was testing CPU and GPU on stress tests at maximum performance, but the battery wasn't going down at all, and that was too much strange that I couldn't reprocude. This has brought me there, to check monitor. Probably they didn't checked it with an application which was using correctly the 120Hz refresh rate and G-SYNC ON. This should be the answer to atleast the why it has so much power drain. Test it out pls and let me know what you think and your results. Currently I have an undergoing complain with Asus and still waiting for an answer due to this problem with the NB, the complain is also because this will be the 8th Notebook that I'll send them back. It's such ashame really.

I've discovered even more today with my benchmarks. I can clearly assert, that there is a point, a combination of GPU usage and GPU clock frequency where it starts to drain the power from the battery. I've done these tests this time using a consumption calculator attached to the wall AC, which as brought to me an unexpected data! According to the tests, I could burn the PC pushing it to its limits with 100% load on GPU and CPU, frequency were stable to 1300-1400 Mhz in this occasion and FPS to nearly 50-60. In this case it was NOT draining the power from battery but instead it was charging, the tool on the wall was showing an consumption of 200-210W which is good since the maximum is 230. Now comes the very interesting part.

Since I was determined to reproduce the problem into the benchmark i've changed many setups, and I could achieve a situation where the load of GPU and CPU was about 50-60%, FPS over 300, and, 1700-1800MHz of GPU Clock, very high due to the frame per second obviously. Well as you can imagine this time it was draining the battery but there was the suprise at the wall tool. It was showing a consumption lower this time! Far from the maximum, it was 150-160W. So with all these data I can say that there must be something done wrong with the design, or building process, or in resources management through software maybe, that can't requests the power needed in that case from AC, making suffer the battery. That was a really surprise.

Bahz
Level 12
Locking this thread because there's an exact thread that has much more people discussing inside:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88742