cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VMK/GL502VM/GL702VMK 305 Bios Update?

Bran187
Level 9
So I saw on another forum that the GL702VM recently got a bios update that helped reduce temps. From the reading I have done on other forums, the update actually did help quite a bit. Some users reporting CPU temps of up to 10c cooler thanks to the new bios.

I know this is a user forum, but surely some of the Asus guys pop in here from time to time.

Any chance the 502VMK 502VM and 702VMK will get a similar Bios update?
31,480 Views
31 REPLIES 31

Sorry to jump on this thread with yet another model but i actually noticed a new BIOS (305) on my GL 702 VSK.

I do not remember installing it on my own and interestingly on the asus update page it stops at 304.....anyone noticed it?

I did not witness any significant heat differences though while still applying undervolt on the CPU

tdeneve wrote:
Sorry to jump on this thread with yet another model but i actually noticed a new BIOS (305) on my GL 702 VSK.

I do not remember installing it on my own and interestingly on the asus update page it stops at 304.....anyone noticed it?

I did not witness any significant heat differences though while still applying undervolt on the CPU


A Bios wouldn't happen unless you did it. They don't get pushed out with windows updates, and they don't happen automatically. So either you somehow got ahold of and flashed a yet to be released bios, or your laptop shipped with a bios that they have yet to push out to the public.

Bran187 wrote:
A Bios wouldn't happen unless you did it. They don't get pushed out with windows updates, and they don't happen automatically. So either you somehow got ahold of and flashed a yet to be released bios, or your laptop shipped with a bios that they have yet to push out to the public.


I emailed yesterday ASUS regarding that and another question, i will let you know what they tell me 😉

I received the answer back from ASUS here it is:

It can happen that the BIOS version would be uploaded on the website later than it is delivered to end users via Asus Live Update, therefore it would not indicate a fault.

Hi,

I have GL502VM with 6700HQ. When I check BIOS drivers from the following link I can see a file with name "BIOS 300(GL502VML)". Is this compatible with my version?


https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-GL502VM/HelpDesk_Download/

Also there is a 305 version for GL502VMK. I wonder why there isn't any bios update for GL502VM since 2016/10.

piedpiper wrote:
Hi,
I have GL502VM with 6700HQ. When I check BIOS drivers from the following link I can see a file with name "BIOS 300(GL502VML)". Is this compatible with my version?
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-GL502VM/HelpDesk_Download/
Also there is a 305 version for GL502VMK. I wonder why there isn't any bios update for GL502VM since 2016/10.


As far as I can see, yes, version 300 is the latest for the GL502VM with the Skylake CPU (i7-6700HQ).
To be sure, use the BIOS Flash Tool, which has an automatic update search tool.

The reason for it to be from October 2016, and no update has appeared, is because Intel has not released an update.
And this is a good thing: because it is a stable CPU.
I my opinion, Skylake is stable from day one.

To be honest, if an update appears, I will not install it (in both Skylake and Kaby-Lake) because it will mostly slow your computer to address the latest bugs and holes in the memory linkage.
Furthermore, there is this bug:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/25/intel_skylake_kaby_lake_hyperthreading/

All these bugs we have no idea if Intel has a patch to correct them interely, and if Asus has patched if before.

link626
Level 7
I'd be really surprised if they undervolted across the board, since not every cpu undervolts the same, and can cause instability.

Also, if it were really undervolted, hwinfo64 or similar apps would say so.

When you're loading the cpu 100% by video encoding, for example, it's going to run as hot as it can, and any Intel microcode optimization won't prevent it from running as hot as possible. This is where the fans come into play.
Spinning the fans as fast and loud as possible at 100% cpu load will bring temps down more.

The real test is to load up hwinfo64 and see what the max temps are under full load, and note if there is any throttling, and how long the cpu stays in full turbo boost mode.
The cpu alone won't throttle much, but when run simultaneously with gpu, could result in throttling.

If it were me, I would spend 15 minutes on each firmware back to back and run the same benchmarks and compare results.

link626 wrote:
I'd be really surprised if they undervolted across the board, since not every cpu undervolts the same, and can cause instability.

Also, if it were really undervolted, hwinfo64 or similar apps would say so.

When you're loading the cpu 100% by video encoding, for example, it's going to run as hot as it can, and any Intel microcode optimization won't prevent it from running as hot as possible. This is where the fans come into play.
Spinning the fans as fast and loud as possible at 100% cpu load will bring temps down more.

The real test is to load up hwinfo64 and see what the max temps are under full load, and note if there is any throttling, and how long the cpu stays in full turbo boost mode.
The cpu alone won't throttle much, but when run simultaneously with gpu, could result in throttling.

If it were me, I would spend 15 minutes on each firmware back to back and run the same benchmarks and compare results.


You are right in some points:
- Fans will help, but the noise will increase significantly;
- Pushing the CPU to max alone does not bring throttling, but when coupled with load on the GPU, the temps increase and throttling happens.

But regarding undervolting, no, programs like that would not show.
If Asus undervolted e.g. -30mV, many will not feel a difference and I will risk saying every CPU will handle it.
Furthermore, this new voltage would be the reference, i.e. with 0mV offset.
I am not saying it is something an OEM would do, but it is possible.

At 100%, depending on the code, the CPU can handle thing differently.
Intel has found a bug on the code of Kaby-Lake chips. See here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/25/intel_skylake_kaby_lake_hyperthreading/

I would not spend time making a downgrade on the BIOS firmware, especially not knowing what the modifications are.

Does someone have a link to the 502VMK's support/download page?

The one I used to use is erroring out and linking to: https://www.asus.com/us/PageError/ now.

And when I search for it through the product list, only the 502VM shows up.

Bran187 wrote:
Does someone have a link to the 502VMK's support/download page?

The one I used to use is erroring out and linking to: https://www.asus.com/us/PageError/ now.

And when I search for it through the product list, only the 502VM shows up.


Try this https://www.asus.com/lk/support/Download/3/871/0/7/AKlM57EfLcqOGiAN/45/