cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VM cannot reboot after SSD upgrade

invisns
Level 7
Hello everyone.

I have a problem regarding the SSD upgrade. Installed a new Adata SX8200 Pro 512gb SSD. Tried cloning my HDD to SSD with partial success.
The drive is bootable, when I turn on/off the computer, but whenever I restart I get 0xc000000f error right after ROG Logo on start up.
Removed HDD, did a clean install, still the same problem.
Basically tried every guide on the internet, but still no success.
Any suggestions? Is it possible that the SSD is bad or incompatible?

Laptop I am using GL502VM i7-6700hq, 12gb ram. Win 10
17 REPLIES 17

Kompensan
Level 7
Welcome to the club!! I struggled quite a bit when changing my SSD and HDD on my GL702VM.
The trick is to update BIOS with the new SSD connected. Then install OS all over again. If you already have updated your BIOS to the last version like me, then you have to downgrade it and upgrade it again to the last version (all with the new SSD on).
There are a few tricks on how to downgrade it, the DATE trick seems to be the best one - (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?111217-GL702VM-not-booting-after-windows-update-updated-th...) all explained here.

Kompensan wrote:
Welcome to the club!! I struggled quite a bit when changing my SSD and HDD on my GL702VM.
The trick is to update BIOS with the new SSD connected. Then install OS all over again. If you already have updated your BIOS to the last version like me, then you have to downgrade it and upgrade it again to the last version (all with the new SSD on).
There are a few tricks on how to downgrade it, the DATE trick seems to be the best one - (https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?111217-GL702VM-not-booting-after-windows-update-updated-th...) all explained here.

Currently i have BIOS version 304, altough the dates does not match with the dates that are mentioned here https://www.asus.com/supportonly/GL502VM/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Is it safe to downgrade to previous version, as it shows on asus driver page that the previous version for my model is 202, not 303 or something or the version number doesnt matter?

Sadly there's a whole other stickied thread about this already. It has been over a year now I believe and not a single peep from Asus. Ive sent several support emails to them regarding this issue and highlighting the threads here. Only one was responded to and they said they have no plans to release a fix. They have also removed the only BIOS that worked and so I would be really hesitant to ever up date if a new one does come out. This is pathetic.

invisns wrote:
Currently i have BIOS version 304, altough the dates does not match with the dates that are mentioned here https://www.asus.com/supportonly/GL502VM/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Is it safe to downgrade to previous version, as it shows on asus driver page that the previous version for my model is 202, not 303 or something or the version number doesnt matter?

Yeah probably your BIOS was also updated by the Windows Update platform last year and that caused several issues with the SSD instalations.
Asus also removed several versions from their website but you can get it from their download page:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/GL502VM/GL502VMAS300.zip

This is the version 300 for you to downgrade. Remember downgrade it then download the 304 again from the ASUS download page and upgrade it again with the new SSDs.
It should solve the issue.

Kompensan
Level 7
You can test first if only downgrade and upgrade again with the new SSD solve the issue first, before doing the OS installation all over again.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately i did not succeed. Still the same behavior.
What i did was,
remove my HDD, put in the SSD
installed windows
downgraded to bios version 300, using this guide https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11438-How-to-downgrade-your-Bios-using-Winflash
confirmed it was 300.
updated back to 304.
reinstalled windows, when installing, at the end it does a restart and i get the same error.
completed the install, tried to restart with no success.
Any other suggestions, or maybe i did something wrong?
Thanx!

invisns wrote:
Thanks everyone. Unfortunately i did not succeed. Still the same behavior.
What i did was,
remove my HDD, put in the SSD
installed windows
downgraded to bios version 300, using this guide https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?11438-How-to-downgrade-your-Bios-using-Winflash
confirmed it was 300.
updated back to 304.
reinstalled windows, when installing, at the end it does a restart and i get the same error.
completed the install, tried to restart with no success.
Any other suggestions, or maybe i did something wrong?
Thanx!

One important question does your laptop come with both SSD and HDD originally and you are replacing the HDD and keep both 2 SSD's?
You have to try one thing first. Downgrade again to 300 and install the OS. Check if it works fine on 300. If that´s the case then no need to reinstall again the OS and only try again to upgrade to 304.

If it still does not work, then using BIOS 300 , go to BIOS options and disable secure boot. Reinstall OS again with this option turned off, upgrade to 304 once more. If in the end is working, go again to BIOS and activate again the Secure Boot. Hope this times it helps.

Kompensan wrote:
One important question does your laptop come with both SSD and HDD originally and you are replacing the HDD and keep both 2 SSD's?
You have to try one thing first. Downgrade again to 300 and install the OS. Check if it works fine on 300. If that´s the case then no need to reinstall again the OS and only try again to upgrade to 304.

If it still does not work, then using BIOS 300 , go to BIOS options and disable secure boot. Reinstall OS again with this option turned off, upgrade to 304 once more. If in the end is working, go again to BIOS and activate again the Secure Boot. Hope this times it helps.

It came only with HDD, and i wanted to add an SSD and keep the HDD also.
So i did what you suggested, but still no luck.
Should i be downgrading from my HDD ?
i took out the hdd
downgraded to 300,
reinstalled. (during installation it requires restart and i get the error)
right after ROG logo i get the error and it gives me the option to press esc to get into bios, after i exit the bios it boots up, completes the windows installation.
tried to restart, same error.
updated to 304, still the same.
Then i tried disabling secure boot with 300 and reinstalling, but instead of the error i get just a blank blue screen that flickers to black if i press enter, but gets back into bios if i press esc. This is the error screen.

invisns wrote:
It came only with HDD, and i wanted to add an SSD and keep the HDD also.
So i did what you suggested, but still no luck.
Should i be downgrading from my HDD ?
i took out the hdd
downgraded to 300,
reinstalled. (during installation it requires restart and i get the error)
right after ROG logo i get the error and it gives me the option to press esc to get into bios, after i exit the bios it boots up, completes the windows installation.
tried to restart, same error.
updated to 304, still the same.
Then i tried disabling secure boot with 300 and reinstalling, but instead of the error i get just a blank blue screen that flickers to black if i press enter, but gets back into bios if i press esc. This is the error screen.

You had the same exact issues I experienced with my GL702VM when I upgraded both my SSD and HDD to 2 new SSD. So I am trying to replicate my steps and I know that for sure this is a BIOS issue.

So now you have that code error which is related to the bios boot mgr. Don´t worry as you are going to enable secure boot again after. Can you update again to bios 304 now? If not enable again and downgrade it with the HDD and upgrade it with the SSD. If both disks have the OS then it make s it easier.