cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VM battery. Always plugged in. Never use battery, but still drained?

link626
Level 7
6 months old, new laptop, always plugged in.
I was encoding a video , cpu and gpu were hot, but not overheating. Turboboost was coming and going, and cpu was staying under 99C.
and then all of a sudden, the laptop shut itself down, and the battery light was blinking orange. Again, I was plugged in.
Battery was completely drained even while always plugged in.

I turn on the laptop again, and Windows says my battery is at 97%, not charging. But the battery light was still blinking orange.
Ok, so I have battery power?
I pull the power plug, and the laptop lost power immediately.
Nope, no battery juice.
I plug the power back in, and Windows says battery is 0%.

so,

If I'm always plugged in, why did the battery drain to 0% ?

Did Asus screw up the battery management and calibration software in the bios, if there is such a thing?

By design, the battery goes up and down between 95-100% while plugged in. Maybe it charges 1% less each time, 94>>99, 92>>97.... and so forth, until the battery is completely drained, and Windows doesn't know it.
If it charges 4% and drains 6% repeatedly, eventually it will use all the battery juice.

Either faulty battery hardware or software.
3 REPLIES 3

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
link626 wrote:
6 months old, new laptop, always plugged in.
I was encoding a video , cpu and gpu were hot, but not overheating. Turboboost was coming and going, and cpu was staying under 99C.
and then all of a sudden, the laptop shut itself down, and the battery light was blinking orange. Again, I was plugged in.
Battery was completely drained even while always plugged in.

I turn on the laptop again, and Windows says my battery is at 97%, not charging. But the battery light was still blinking orange.
Ok, so I have battery power?
I pull the power plug, and the laptop lost power immediately.
Nope, no battery juice.
I plug the power back in, and Windows says battery is 0%.

so,

If I'm always plugged in, why did the battery drain to 0% ?

Did Asus screw up the battery management and calibration software in the bios, if there is such a thing?

By design, the battery goes up and down between 95-100% while plugged in. Maybe it charges 1% less each time, 94>>99, 92>>97.... and so forth, until the battery is completely drained, and Windows doesn't know it.
If it charges 4% and drains 6% repeatedly, eventually it will use all the battery juice.

Either faulty battery hardware or software.

Sorry for the trouble.

If the battery does not charge properly, we would like to suggest you to bring back your NB, NB's battery, and adapter to our service center.

The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/

Also you can contact the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#

The following is the FAQ of battery use for your reference.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1015066

link626
Level 7
No, the battery did charge up after unplugging and replugging the power cable.
So the battery is fully charged now.

I'm just wondering why the battery was fully drained when the laptop is always plugged in.
Searching these forums, a few other people have posted about similar issues with other models.

Seems like bad software design.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Your battery should not drain to 0% while plugged in though and the unit should not power off unexpectedly like you reported while plugged in, so sounds like you might have some problem with the AC adapter and/or notebook if you want to look into it more or contact ASUS support to discuss the RMA route, but might need to make sure the ASUS repair department understands the problem and doesn't have any problems to catch it since the unit does appear to charge up okay.
Make sure ASUS support asks you to send in your AC adapter as well and makes a note that you are doing this since they may normally ask customers not to send in the AC adapter when the problem is not related to it.

Don't expect this could be caused by your power outlets, but probably worth making sure if it's easy to plug in at a different location.

Your AC adapter should have an output rating underneath like 19.5V, 9.23A which should match the input rating under the notebook if you want to confirm this. Thanks.