cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502V overheating problem – SOLVED! (WITH GUIDE)

Draigstark
Level 7
Hello there!

I’ve a GL502VM (i7-7700HQ + GTX 1060), a model with overheating problems: each modern game which runs smoothly -and “freshly”- on cheaper laptops with same settings was making my CPU and GPU reach 80°-90° C (with fans at max speed).
I’ve collected informations many sites, and finally found a SOLUTION!

You’ll need to:

• undervolt your CPU at -110 mV with Intel’s XTU (this number could slightly vary according to your specific CPU unit)
  • create a modified “High Performance” power plan and set your “Minimum” and “Maximum Processor State” to 99% (this neutralizes Intel Turbo Boost)
  • use ROG key to set fan speed at maximum value [facultative, but for heavy gaming will make your laptop live more long and prosper]

Results (compared with “Vermintide 2”) are REALLY impressive:

BEFORE
HIGH graphic settings --> Max CPU T = 98° C // Max GPU T = 78°C

AFTER
HIGH graphic settings --> Max CPU T = 71° C // Max GPU T = 69°C

27°C less for CPU and 9°C less for GPU, without any performance drop.

(notice that these new temperatures are also lower than the ones obtained playing at MEDIUM graphic settings BEFORE this mod!
MEDIUM g.s. --> Max CPU Temperature = 92° C // Max GPU T = 73°C
Now I’m playing with higher settings and my laptop is still cooler than before!

Obviously to get even lower temperatures you could also undervolt your GPU, but I did not try that yet.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

COMPLETE GUIDE for Windows 10

(Please forgive me for my english: as every italian, I spend almost the whole day preparing&eating pizza, so I’ve no time to study english. 😛 *hand gestures*)

Before to start, please remember that your laptop’s fans should be cleaned every 6 months (circa), and that every 3-4 years you should change CPUs’ and GPU’s thermal paste.

This guide will be pointless with a pillow of dust inside your fans and thermal paste turned into concrete!

# Step A – UNDERVOLT YOUR CPU

• Download and install Intel’s Extreme Tuning Utility (from its official page)
  • Once opened, search for the “Core Voltage Offset” horizontal bar (should be the first one)
  • Move your mouse on the value “0.000 V”: two arrows will appear at its side
  • Click on the arrow at the LEFT side, in order to reach the value “-0.110 V”.
    IMPORTANT: mind that “MINUS”! It’s a NEGATIVE value.
    If you set a positive value you could damage your computer!

So please BE CAREFUL!
    We want to obtain “ -0.110 V”, decreasing the amount of milliVolts used.
    If you don’t know what you are doing, for your computer’s sake stop now and get some info.
  • On the right side, click on “Apply”, and then “Save your profile”.

From now on, your CPU will run at -0.110 V ONLY IF XTU will be running.

NOTE: I also tried -0.115 V and -0.120 V, but those values make my computer crash and restart (stock values are automatically restored while restarting, so no worries).
NOTE 2: most of the european users will find “0,000 V” and will have to get “-0,110 V” (comma, not fullstop/period)

# Step B – CUSTOM POWER PLAN

• Windows’ search bar --> type “Control Panel” --> open Control Panel
  • High on the right --> “View by” --> set “small icon” (you’re welcome)
  • Search for “Power Options” icon --> doble click on it
  • On the left --> click on “Create a power plan” --> Select “High Performance” --> Name it and click “Next"
  • Set “display” and “sleep” options as you like, then CREATE.
  • Once created, click on “Change plan settings” for your new plan
  • Click on “Change advanced power settings
  • Search for “Processor power management”, and click on its small “+” icon;
  • In both “Minimum processor state” and “Maximum processor state”, change every “100%” into “99%
    [you will have to change 3 values, even if I assume you will not play a performance-demanding game while in battery mode].
    This will prevent Intel Turbo Boost from boosting your CPU and creating a lot of extra heat.
  • Click on “Apply” --> Click on “OK” --> Save changes
  • Be sure that your new plan is the active one!

# Step C

• ROG key --> Click on “Fan Boost” --> Set it to 100%
  • Mamma mia! Enjoy your games! *hand gesture*

_ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you have any problem with this guide, please reply.
1 REPLY 1

TaitOgr
Level 8
i mention it in other topic....

Check this out for some help, they really seem to got impressive results in this video, maybe this will solve your problem, did you try replacing thermal pads as they did here? An interesting video for everyone with Asus gaming laptop.

https://youtu.be/ZLgjs58q6E8