cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502/702 VM/VS PCH heatsink mod.

StarJack
Level 11
I've seen a few posts about people adding a heatsink to the PCH chip on their GL702VM/VS. I know this is a fairly straightforward procedure but I am wondering what kind of actual affect this heatsink addition has on temperatures. Could folks who have done this mod give me an idea on the temperature decrease? 2-3 degrees C? Or no help at all?

Thanks in advance,

StarJack
2 REPLIES 2

FastM
Level 8
StarJack wrote:
I've seen a few posts about people adding a heatsink to the PCH chip on their GL702VM/VS. I know this is a fairly straightforward procedure but I am wondering what kind of actual affect this heatsink addition has on temperatures. Could folks who have done this mod give me an idea on the temperature decrease? 2-3 degrees C? Or no help at all?

Thanks in advance,

StarJack

I'm planning a CPU/GPU repast and have also been thinking about adding to the PCH cooling as well. I haven't cracked open my 702VS yet but based on images I've seen online I believe the 17" 702 already has a basic heatsink.

Has anyone with a 702VS modified or improved it?

FastM wrote:
I'm planning a CPU/GPU repast and have also been thinking about adding to the PCH cooling as well. I haven't cracked open my 702VS yet but based on images I've seen online I believe the 17" 702 already has a basic heatsink.

Has anyone with a 702VS modified or improved it?

Not too many responses. I plan on a repaste when warranty expires although I think I may have been lucky with regards to the factory paste job on my 702VM. My CPU stays in the mid 60's Celsius and GPU doesn't go above 74 Celsius with most games. Currently playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 with graphics on max and it's staying in the 60's for both.

I will also do the case mod and dremel the bottom once the warranty expires.

StarJack